Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Can someone post the link to the Xbox.com 'Buy this silly thing' digital deluxe pack, preferably with the FM5 VIP discount? I am either idiotic or being hampered by being in Europe and cannot find it on the store.

It could also be that microsoft's websites are f'n horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

It does. Thanks much!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ugh. Cut scenes to start a game are the worst. The only exception is the inane and surreal eurotrash ketamine party at the beginning of TDU 2. A game that would have been amazing if only they'd remembered to test the savegames so they didn't all get corrupted 40 hours in.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'll be pretty surprised if the majority of FM players don't also pick this one up, unless it turns out to have some sort of hideous flaws that haven't been revealed yet. Most of the players over there seem to enjoy DRIVING, as well as RACING, so hopefully there's lots more stuff to do that just celebrates the fun of cruising the open world than FH1 had.

Although I do count some of those FH1 "Get 8 people through a section at 220mph within 2 seconds" type achievements among the most fun ones I've gotten.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm buying an Xbox One tomorrow just for this game. I'm a stupid man.

Shut up, you can afford it :v: Pretend it's a carbon fiber front splitter for your new Viper or whatever you end up with next.

I'll be back from holiday to play October 9th, hope all you guys haven't finished the drat entire thing by then. Lots of fun reading the thread though.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Comrade Flynn posted:

Also, how is Forza 5?

Forza 5 is exceptional even with the fewer tracks/cars than previous versions. The audio upgrades alone are worth the price of admission, and while Forza 4 is still a fantastic game it's really hard to go back to after 5 came out due to the quality of the visuals, the improved AI (drivatars) and the incredibly immersive sound. Bathhurst rules, Spa rules, F1 cars rule. Definitely worth the $35 or whatever it is on Amazon now. Easily the best launch title on either console.

It's got some weird UI choices, and the Knowledgeable British Announcer Guy was replaced with "Some bored chick who can barely read and hates cars", but once you get used to the odd choice (by both console manufacturers) to replace deeply-instilled standards like "Start" and "Select" buttons with exactly the same buttons but change their names to "Weird Listy Thing" and "Other Weird List Thing That's a Bit Different" on Xbone, and "Share" and "Tiny Vertically Aligned Options Button That's Impossible To Hit Without Hitting the Touchpad Instead" on PS4, the UI makes a lot more sense.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I use sim steering in F5 with both wheel and controller, if only because I'm too lazy/forgetful to switch it back when I'm not using the wheel. I never even tried normal steering, so it's probably just a matter of what you start with/are comfortable with.

I haven't tried FH2 at all though yet so maybe it's not the same in this game.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GutBomb posted:

I use normal steering with a wheel. Sim steering is designed to make the steering completely linear along the throw of the analog stick. As soon as sim steering was introduced in fm4 it was found with wheel users to not be linear unless the wheel was dialed down to 270 degrees of rotation. The CEO of fanatec came out calling it "drift steering" rather than simulation steering and recommended that wheel users would have a more realistic experience with "normal"

So I guess what I heard is exactly opposite from what you heard as far as who sim steering is for.

Hm, I always did the 'Turn on 360 using console button, then launch F4, THEN turn on wheel in desired full range of motion degree mode (I use 720), otherwise it's in 270 mode' method, which seemed to get around the reduced range problems that happened when using the wheel to turn on the system (where I also heard that same statement from Thomas from Fanatec).

But I hadn't read about that the same problem existed in F5 - I haven't paid as much attention to wheel chat for F5 due to there only being the one choice - so you're probably more knowledgeable on the subject.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GutBomb posted:

All I know is that in 5 and h2 any small correction and I've spun myself off the track using sim steering and the wheel, just like in fm4. Normal steering it's super easy to correct, but it feels much more realistic than small controlled corrections throwing me off the track.

You know much more about wheel on F5, I managed to break my toe about 3 weeks into ownership and had to take a break (HA GET IT?) from pedal use for a much longer while than I had anticipated. Kind of annoying then that Sim is for not-sim setups, but I always had great luck keeping the degrees linear in Sim mode in F4 doing that weird power-on sequence, occasionally I'd forget and power the 360 up with the wheel and then wonder why my steering felt so stupid.

I'm finally installing FH2!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I scoured the map for hours trying to find the last road, it ended up being a fairly longish NE-SW chunk in the northwest-most town that was partially hidden by the horizon hub icon.

I've also seen people say that the runway in the airport can be glitched and need running up and down on it a couple times to make it work, and there's also a tiny little cross street across the runway that's easy to miss.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm only 55th or so and I've gotten maybe 7 cars and twice gotten the "biggest cash prize available", one was like $220k and the other was $160k or something. But I also get the $5500 one/other useless ones a lot too. Still 2 championships away from the Finale.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
No, it's a better racing game overall. Horizon is a lot of fun for 'dicking around in a car' but if you like circuit racing you won't be disappointed with Forza 5.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Something really interesting I've noticed over the years of the Xbox 360 users having Avatars:

Just about everyone I know in real life (so I can compare to their online look) has an avatar that strongly resembles what they actually look like, even if they're fat, short, neckbeard-havers who wear socks with sandals. I'm actually kind of impressed at the general level of honesty.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Now that I have the Fanatec CSW v2, I'm selling my Thrustmaster TX, which is pretty much brand new. FH2 drives really well with a wheel, easily the best of any of the arcade-sims out there. Wheel also works with PC. Someone come buy it!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689683

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Which is why you should buy my Thrustmaster TX at this totally awesome reduced price! ($240 shipped)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689683

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dr. Faustus posted:

Actually, it's spoken for. I'm buying it. From you. Ether Frenzy. Yes, you. With the Thrustmaster wheel for sale.

Hey guys, tell me what I can mount it to for very very cheap.

Excellent choice, sir. You will have fun!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Didn't they already say Porsche in FM6 in 2016?
I would definitely expect them to continue paying EA for these car licenses (and charging $20 for the DLC in February to finance that/revive sales of Forza 6, six months after launch) because everyone loves Porsches.

Wonder how the Top Gear license (specifically Jeremy talking about cars) plays out what with the "Clarkson-not-getting-renewed-this-year-but-likely-will-in-the-future Fracas" but Top Gear still existing as a BBC IP and all.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That woman is the worst. She clearly has never heard of half of those cars and is not a car fan.

Bring back the distinguished English gentleman to read info, he's at least heard of "YOUR NINETEEN EIGHTY FOUR FERR-ARRY? TWO EIGHTY EIGHT GEE TEE OH" before seeing the cue card in the voiceover booth.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The 928 is in Forza 4. It's called the Panamera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
And yet, this poor persecuted German Corvette was sold for nearly 20 years and despite it's clear brilliance as a GT car that isn't as good as a 911 when you're shopping for a 911, I almost never see any on the streets of Los Angeles so either it was not as good as a 911, not as reliable as a 911, or not as desirable as a 911.

Or perhaps the Porsche enthusiasts who buy and maintain old p-Cars just don't get the true essence of the 928's fantastic driving characteristics.

• Locked thread