Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
:siren: To join GRC send a friend request to GutBomb303, MacClay, Captain Howdy 0, or Whatcubed3. Once you are friends with one of them you can join :siren:

That's right, folks, Forza Horizon is back and this time it's for money.

What is it?
An "open world" driving game based on the Forza Motorsports game engine that takes place in a music/car festival in southern France/Northern Italy. Open world is being generous though because I think in the first Horizon game you could drive from one side of the game landscape to the other in about 5 minutes.

Why should I care?
Because I'm a sucker and I'm going to buy it and I want people to gently caress around online with

So what was Forza Horizon 1 like?
If I have to sum it up with one word I'd say "brief." You could blast through the single-player portion in a couple of weeks and multiplayer was lacking in modes.

What's new in Horizon 2?
They've added weather to the mix now which in the videos looks pretty awesome. They also claim the environment is larger than the first game. They've also added the ability to drive off-road, through fields and stuff. They have also added the full tuning options of Forza Motorsport 5 unlike in Horizon 1 where you could add parts but not tune them.

What systems is it for?
XBox One and there is also a scaled down version for the XBox 360.

Scaled down?
There won't be weather on the 360. The environment might also be scaled down. The AI on the 360 version is the standard AI where the AI in the XBox One version is drivatar based. The XBox One version is being developed by Playground Games, the guys that made Horizon 1. The 360 version is being developed by Sumo Digital. The XBox 360 version plays at 720p while the XBox One version is 1080p. The XBox 360 version allows 8 people to play together online, while the XBox One version allows 11.

What the gently caress is a drivatar?
Introduced in Forza Motorsport 5, Drivatar technology analyzes the way you drive in Forza in single-player and multi-player races. This data gets massaged into an AI driver that any of your friends playing single-player will get to race against. In theory it sounds pretty awesome but in practice the drivatars all drive like online pubbies.

So what can I drive?

These are the cars that are available at launch, and there should be more available in DLC packs over the coming months. (click the image for a list)

Where can I drive?
Here is a look at the whole game environment

It looks a little sparse if you ask me.

When can I get it?
It's released on September 30th for both systems and a demo is available for the XBox One on September 16th :siren:That's today:siren:

Game Editions
There are 4 Editions of the game.

Regular Edition:
Nothing special. Base game

Day One Edition:
This edition includes the full game of Forza Horizon 2, along with the Day One Car Pack. The Day One car Pack features three amazing cars: the 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T, 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, and the 2013 Mercedes-Benz A 45 AMG.

Day One Deluxe Edition:
This edition includes the full version of Forza Horizon 2, the Day One Car Pack, and VIP membership. The Day One car Pack features three cars: the 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T, 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, and the 2013 Mercedes-Benz A 45 AMG. VIP membership gets you access to exclusive benefits in Forza Horizon 2, including the five-car VIP Car pack (2012 Lamborghini Urus, 2014 Tesla Model S, 1967 Ferrari 330 P4, 1949 Mercury Coupe, and the 2013 Donkervoort D8 GTO), 2x player reward acceleration, access to exclusive multiplayer events, in-game gifts from the Forza community team, and special in-game recognition.

Day One Ultimate Edition:
This edition includes the full version of Forza Horizon 2, the Day One Car Pack, VIP membership, and the Forza Horizon 2 Car Pass. The Day One car Pack features three cars: the 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T, 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, and the 2013 Mercedes-Benz A 45 AMG. VIP membership gets you access to exclusive benefits in Forza Horizon 2, including the five-car VIP Car pack(2012 Lamborghini Urus, 2014 Tesla Model S, 1967 Ferrari 330 P4, 1949 Mercury Coupe, and the 2013 Donkervoort D8 GTO), 2x player reward acceleration, access to exclusive multiplayer events, in-game gifts from the Forza community team, and special in-game recognition. The Forza Horizon 2 Car Pass gets you access to six monthly pack add-ons (5 cars each). Plus, Car Pass owners will receive an exclusive bonus car for free, the 2010 Noble M600. That’s 31 cars to collect, race, and customize in Forza Horizon 2!

Preorder bonuses - XBox One
Microsoft Store : $10 xbox gift card and an Audi RS 4 Avant.
Amazon : 2008 Ferrari California
Gamestop : 2011 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera
Best Buy : 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

Preorder bonuses - XBox 360
Yeah, right...

Can I see some videos?
poo poo yeah, here are some videos.

Official trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l_lclrnWTI

Gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAfywmkjnIQ

More gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqb1bWJsyNk

Even more gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0dmGcZtWZY

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

What are the different pre-order options? I want to know where to buy to get the best bonus car.

I updated the OP with all of the preorder bonuses I could find.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

WienerDog posted:

drat, there's a Deluxe edition? I couldn't find any info about that prior to reading this thread. And now that I know it exists, I can't find it for sale anywhere. I need my VIP crown yo!

I think you can only get it from Microsoft.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Gonna do this.

Goddamn. Never thought I would give a poo poo for weather effects, but I just did the 1st circuit race in the rain, with the fogginess and the event lighting and checked out cockpit mode. I've never seen anything like it. I need the full game, like now.

I need to drive a rear wheel drive car in the rain to truly judge it. With all the assists off the rain didn't seem to affect the grip level much if at all. Certainly is visually impressive though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Also it will be interesting to see to what degree tuning will play a role. I know they made it so that you can tune just like in regular Forza, but dialing in a track setup is a lot different than making something that drives on roads and offroad. I guess we'll see. One of the things I enjoyed about the first Horizon was that I could just throw parts on a car and drive it without too much thought. Hopefully I don't miss that.

I think you can still do that. Just add the parts and skip tuning them because I think that horizon 1 just kept the parts at their default tuning values.

Tuning gearing will be more difficult without telemetry to determine max torque rpm and redline.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Atmus posted:

GutBomb!

When the main guy said that 'The guy in the Focus is coming after you', did that feel right? Like you deserved it?

Your drivatar was driving the opposite direction that I was and crossed into my lane for no reason other than to hit me head on.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just realized I have next Tuesday off from work.

:getin:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Since Car Clubs are back in with FH2, what do you all want to do about creating a goon club?

I am going to just create GRC on Tuesday morning and I'll send out some club invites if it works like the clubs used to.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I still say the cross country events are stupid. No one ever has said "hey, you have an FD, I have a supra. Let's go race across some vineyards"

In an appropriate car, sure but it's not like some desire of mine to take a small sports car out into farmland and drive where I can't see.

I'm disappointed that it doesn't look like I can import designs from fm5.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Atmus posted:

Because I didn't pay for it. That's why.

Also I got your PM, and I saw the thread detailing it. If no one beats me to it, I should have the club up and running by 5pm Colorado time.

I'll have it up by that time probably.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Club created. GRC is the tag, the name is Goon Racing Club. I'm pretty sure that you have to request membership in the club in-game and you won't be able to do that until you unlock clubs. You have to win 3 championships and do the race against the train to unlock clubs.

Edit: I was wrong, found a place to send out invites. If I forgot anyone though, search for the club and request.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 30, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Atmus posted:

I was this close... :(

I bet if I had actually smoked 1 more cigarette during that time you would have got it first.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It won't let me invite anyone that has not played yet. People who have played, the invites go out fine. People who have not, it says the user could not be found

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
No club garage either

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Maneki Neko posted:

Picked up the bone version, its pretty much what I expected, which is to say great.

I do miss smart glass though. :(

There's a smart glass app for the bone too unless that's not what you're talking about

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Maneki Neko posted:

But unlike the first Horizon, smartglass does nothing. There's no connected app. :(

Oh I never knew that the first one used it. Was it a Map?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I am totally addicted to the photo mode. I spent like 4 hours playing FH2 last night and I think about a quarter of it must have been loving with photo mode. How do you get the photos to post on the forums? Is it part of the 'share' function? Share wasnt working for me last night.

Also, when I get far enough, I will be attempting to join the GRC (xbone) as 'WinnebagoWarrio'. I dunno if its invite only though, so if it is, invite me please!

It's open to my friends so I'll friend you and then you can join. And this goes for any other goons that want to join. My gamertag is GutBomb303 so add me as a friend if we aren't friends already. I'll stay on top of the friend requests.

Maneki Neko posted:

Invite to GRC plz, my gamer tag is: Vedic

I attempted to invite you this morning but the club system was experiencing problems, but I've added you as a friend so try to join again and it should just let you in.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 1, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I play with a wheel and too often when making a turn I go for the turn signal stalk that just isn't there.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
They fixed the issue with dlc cars not being free in-game too. I picked the rest of them up this morning, along with some adorable favorites and got an achievement and reward points for doing that. In forza hub there were no redeemable rewards for horizon 2 yet but I think they are still working on that. I also noticed that there were no rewards for fm4 and horizon 1 so maybe they are no longer paying rewards out for the older games now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My wife is going out of town for the weekend staying tomorrow so I'm sure I'll be online a lot.

Painting issues: I can't frund a way to fine tune colors. It makes using the special materials like metal flake not so special because you're stuck with the green metal flake

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The servers are getting hammered because the game is more popular than expected

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I put the GRC wordmark and logos up in the storefront. search vinyls for "grc" if you want them.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Add GutBomb303 as a friend, and join the club.

You don't have to just be friends with me anymore either. you can also friend whatcubed3 or captain howdy 0

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I painted a van in Forza 4 to look like the TV licensing enforcement vans that drive around the UK and because I included the publically available phone number of the TV licensing department just like the vans do, it was removed from the storefront.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Driving a van in a race isn't griefing. Ramming people with it is, but legit driving it? Perfectly acceptable.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Faustus posted:

:goonsay:

Says the guy who brings the Bigfoot Raptor to races where it's not appropriate, causing everyone else to bulk up!

Well, if everyone else wants a bigger car because I pick Bigfoot, that's on them.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Crafty posted:

Some of those photos are unbelievable.

I'm considering buying a wheel, is anyone playing with one? I'm guessing most of you are using controllers

I'm using a Thrustmaster tx wheel with the three pedal and shifter add-on. It's very fun

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Guess who's back, bitches.

jdfording posted:

Can I get an invite to GRC? Gamer tag is Sinvar77

Friend GutBomb303 and try to join again tomorrow

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yes, baby. We're home.

It's missing the howdy tears face

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Faustus posted:

^^ This guy! ^^

Hey howdy, did you happen to purchase your xbone with a credit card?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So the co-op bucket list challenges appear to be 2 player only.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I use normal steering with a wheel. Sim steering is designed to make the steering completely linear along the throw of the analog stick. As soon as sim steering was introduced in fm4 it was found with wheel users to not be linear unless the wheel was dialed down to 270 degrees of rotation. The CEO of fanatec came out calling it "drift steering" rather than simulation steering and recommended that wheel users would have a more realistic experience with "normal"

So I guess what I heard is exactly opposite from what you heard as far as who sim steering is for.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
All I know is that in 5 and h2 any small correction and I've spun myself off the track using sim steering and the wheel, just like in fm4. Normal steering it's super easy to correct, but it feels much more realistic than small controlled corrections throwing me off the track.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Comrade Flynn posted:

Do you get any more "free" cars as the game goes on like the Ferrari CS or is that it besides the barn finds?

Probably it, but if you have the car pass you'll get all of those cars for free when the packs are released.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The xbone version matches your ai opponents PI to close to whatever thou bring to the race. I wouldn't call that an issue though, it's pretty cool.

Upgrades are for fun and for online.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Forzatune 5 for android and ios has given me some good starting points for tuning

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

wernox posted:

I have more credits than I know what to do with.

I went and bought all of the cars I found the most interesting and now I'm broke

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

A couple other questions about Drivatars while we're on the subject.

- Do people who have Forza 5 have their Drivatars imported automatically, even if they don't have the game? I've seen a few people I recognize who are Level 1 constantly, like I see Endbuster, and I'm pretty sure he said he didn't have Horizon 2.

- You know when you're driving around and Anna's like "Hey, one of Horizon's best drivers is in the area, I've marked him on the map." Does the game pick these at random? I've raced a couple that were tough, but the last couple I've raced have been like level 5 or 9, and pretty slow.

I was assuming the drivatars in FH2 of people who don't have the game were generated from them playing the demo.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Atmus posted:

I have the car, but it's whatever the factory color is since most of the shared liveries are garbage. I've also never driven the car and only bought it because I have to have ALL the cars!

Anyone want to do some road trips or whatever around 6pm Colorado time tonight? I want to get that bullshit fake achievement for doing ten of them by the end of the month.

I wouldn't mind. I need some online bucket lists too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have the Thrustmaster tx wheel with the shifter and 3 pedal add-on. It adds a lot to the experience and it's 90% as good as my old fanatec wheel I keep around for ps3 and 360.

The fanatec equipment is going to be very expensive compared to the Thrustmaster and it's not out yet so I'd recommend going with the Thrustmaster.

Don't bother with the $99 Thrustmaster. It doesn't have force feedback.

• Locked thread