Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I wish the demo included cars other than the seemingly easy to drive AWD cars. I know that Horizon is supposed to have more relaxed driving physics than FM itself, but the driving in the Horizon 2 demo feels very arcade-ish.

The first Horizon felt closer to the FM physics. It was a good blend of sim and arcade. Sim enough to make the driving feel believable, but arcade enough that you can shut the brain off and enjoy driving freely around the map. Horizon 1 was a really fun game to play. Usually, I quit playing a game once I beat it. But even after beating the game, I still fire up Horizon, hop in my old school M3 and just blast around the map.

In contrast, the Horizon 2 demo feels like a straight arcade racer in comparison. During wet races, your car still has an insane amount of grip, hydroplaning is barely a thing. It also feels like braking is optional in the game. You can let off the gas in any car and it practically slows itself (I wasn't using the assisted braking). And if you do decide to use the brakes, you can brake impossibly late, let the car drift and magically, the car will clear the corner (I had the traction/stability aids off). I'm not asking for this game to be a street racing version of iRacing, just for it to have the same balance between sim and arcade like the first Horizon. As it stands, the driving is not that fun in the demo.

I wish Turn 10 would release a second demo with RWD cars so we can really see what the driving is like. Guess I'll have to wait for trip reports.

P.S. Turn 10, please let us skip intro videos and cut scenes! I hate waiting for 5 minutes worth of opening cut scenes to finish before I can play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think we all agree the physics in the wet race was a not really noticeable, but it was at least truly gorgeous. At 1080/30 I found it incredibly compelling, visually. Seeing so many drivatars I knew driving around still adds that cool feeling I enjoyed in FM5. It made me more invested in winning when it's *kinda* like racing with my friends (even though it's really not).

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - the graphics are amazing. This is one of those games where "photo realistic graphics" is actually true. Physics complaints aside, there's something magical about hauling rear end down coastal roads during a sunset to be greeted by a sleepy, seaside Mediterranean town bathed in golden light. This is one of the few games where I actually stopped to admire the scenery.

Which is why I think I'll wait to get the game until the reviews come in from actual gamers and not games sites paid to give good scores to games. I really, really wanted to like the demo. I was hoping Horizon 2 would be Horizon 1 with way better graphics, a bigger world and overall just improved game play.

gently caress, who am I kidding. I'll probably pick this up on launch day anyways.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Welp, broke down and pre-ordered the game. It's 7% downloaded. I really hope it's fully installed by midnight!

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
While the physics seem a lot more dumbed down in this release of Horizon, I still have no regrets purchasing it. I REALLY wish I didn't have to work today :(

Maybe it's just me, but I swear that the graphics have much improved from the demo to the actual game. Driving through the country roads, so much looks very photorealistic. There really are times in the game where it looks like a real life, on-board camera footage!

I can't wait until you complete enough of the game that you can go and buy more cars. I REALLY want to buy the GMC Vandura. I've been using it in Forza 5 and MAN does that piss people off in multiplayer. Especially when you're competitive with the field! (Even won a race in the van. Against actual sports cars!)

GutBomb posted:

I still say the cross country events are stupid. No one ever has said "hey, you have an FD, I have a supra. Let's go race across some vineyards"

In an appropriate car, sure but it's not like some desire of mine to take a small sports car out into farmland and drive where I can't see.

Seriously, gently caress those cross country events. I placed dead last in the first cross country event you gotta do because I could never find some of the checkpoints. Or get bounced into a tree and come plummeting to a stop.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Why the gently caress do they do this? Don't they know that Clubs is a big feature pretty much everyone wanted back? Why do they make you grind through the beginning of the game to access a key feature? What if I don't want to start on the story right away and just want to hoon around with my friends? loving come on!

Yeah, this is pretty annoying. Not just the car clubs, but having to play through what's basically an unskippable tutorial disguised as an easy to win championship and two other events before leaving the first city.

I was hoping to be able to start like the first Horizon where you can choose a car right away. ANY car. Luckily, the game is pretty easy, driving wise, so I've already won the championship. Just gotta do the other two events (the bucket list event and the showcase against an air force demo team).

I just don't get what is it with Turn 10 and their hard on for unskippable videos (that are either pointless or designed to tell us the same poo poo as the explanation text already on the screen!) and grinds for features that should be available right away.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

ROOMBA floorvac posted:

So what's the word on the mountain pass driving? Anything similar to Fujimi. It is seriously one of the biggest deciding factors for me. :v:

I haven't seen much, but at least in the first city, there are some good mountain-side winding roads that run along the coast. They're not as tight and twisty as the Fujimi mountain pass though, but are still fun to drive. Especially when you get to take in such a gorgeous view as an ocean with gently rippling water reflecting a setting sun back at you.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Sounds like everyone's stuck on the tutorial levels so far!

Yuuuuup :/

Can't wait to hop back on this when I get home from work!

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Finally made it to Nice last night. I LOVE the scenery and the map layout. The road trip to Nice felt like running in a Gumball rally!

The physics are still pretty arcadey, but the environment, the sounds, the graphics all make it worth it. This game is going to take up all my time. It's going to ruin my relationship, get me fired for no showing at work and all that.

I'll end up having to sell plasma to pay the rent and utilities to play this game. And I will have no regrets.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

pvax posted:

[...]three main radio stations only, unless they unlock the others later.

Same for the Xbone. You start with three stations and others unlock along the way. I've already unlocked one after arriving in Nice.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

You know, the one gripe I'm starting to develop is the "generic Caucasian male driver." Helmets are better, it could be anyone under there.
FH2 is like (I think this works better): Forza Horizon 2: Attack of The Clones.

Yeah, it would be sweet if you could customize your driver's look. At least he isn't wearing that distracting, gaudy G-Shock watch anymore.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

[...]"car meets [...]"

Got some more playing time in last night in Nice and one of the things I was directed to do was go to a car meet. So, um, can anyone tell me the point of these things? I couldn't do anything with my car, couldn't move around to explore. All I could do is sit there, next to other racers. I assume they're other online players that I can talk to? I wasn't in a social mood (LOL Goons), so I just left the car meet not long after I got there to satisfy that annoying British dude that tells me the obvious before every race.

real_scud posted:

Double post for a reason. Was in game and just saw that I was gifted my rewards money as well as a bunch of cars so if you were waiting on those things you should be able to get them now.

Also I ended up going with the fast travel perk instead of the lottery.

Fast travel anywhere as a perk?! I want that perk sooo badly. I hope it's not expensive in terms of skill points to unlock that. The bucket list challenges have not been fun so far, so I want to do them later. But I don't want to have to drive from town to town.

---

I LOVE how generous the game is with the money. Disabling almost all assists (I still use the braking line and ABS assists) and disabling rewinds nets me something like an additional ~65% bonus on top of the very generous payouts. When I made some money, I went out and bought the Ford Sportvan thing. I also pimped out the 360 Challenge Stradale you're gifted when you beat the air show team in the first city. I was down to 10,000 CR or so. Four races later, I was sitting at over 120,000. Besides the race winnings, the game hands out so much XP per race that sometimes, I've been getting two spins from leveling up so quickly.

I've managed to land on some crazy CR rewards per spin. Now, I'm torn between continuing to win races in the Ferarri, or pimp out the van and run it online.

If the community is anything like Forza 5's, It'll be fun to totally piss people off for running the van. At least in FM5, people get MAD for even showing up at a race in a van. Doubly so if you're able to be competitive with the rest of the field!

I've been having a poo poo day today. I think it might just be time to troll..

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

Totally, but be advised I think you can be reported for TOS violation with your pedo-van, it might get you banned or at least have that van disallowed. I seem to remember other people running into this very problem before. They can tell you about it. Or google it.

Fair warning.

VVV Not a pedo-van example, but first-hand example nonetheless. VVV

Ha, In FM5, I bought a GMC Vandura and give it a free candy paint job. I raced online in several with the matches with the van. I hope MS doesn't come down on me for that. :ohdear:

I love my van!

e:

Dr. Faustus posted:

Has anyone else noticed that tuned AWD cars are pretty much invincible in single-player?

Holy poo poo I have $3M... what to buy?

Totally agreed with the AWD cars. It was the AWD cars in the demo that killed my enthusiasm for the game; since their handling abilities were so high that you couldn't even spin out in the rain. I'm glad I bought the game anyways. The RWD cars can be a handful sometimes. A definite improvement over the AWD cars. Although if the AWD cars are still insanely overpowered, I should probably tune up the free Evo I won during my level up Wheelspin.

With $3M, there is only one answer: Buy the Ford Sport Van, throw every mod at it, then beat up on pubbies. Then, kick back and enjoy the 13-year olds' cursing and the "RACING GAMES R SERIOUS BIDNESSS!!!!11" rage quitting.

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 3, 2014

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

dolemite, I'm just not a griefer. Yes, I know many pubbies deserve it. That's why I race with friends and not with pubbies. That's what GTCC and GRC were all about for me... not having to deal with griefers.

Bring a huge Transit or a Vandura to any pubbie race, it's cool with me. If I'm there I'll just find somewhere else to race.

Oh yeah, totally agree. That's why I wanted to race with the Goon GTCC and GRC challenges. I like a good, competitive race as much as anyone. And last time I raced with Goons, everyone was fast and raced clean. If a Goon made a mistake and took someone out, It was refreshing to see the guy apologize for that.

When I move to a new apartment and can set up my sim nerd gear, I'll be on my PC playing against other racing enthusiasts that want a good race.

quote:

On the other hand, bring a grief-mobile to one of my lobbies when it's not a specific huge box race; and we're going to butt heads.
I mean no offense, but you've been crowing about your van-griefing prowess for several days now and it's just not my thing.
I too mean no offense when I say: LMAO at this. Maybe you didn't intend for it to sound this way, but the LMAO is because I'm perceiving this as tough bro talk.
I've only posted about this two or three times max. It's because it's fun to race in a van and win.

Its been touched on before, but when I trot out the van, I don't do dick moves like plow into people, brake check, etc. Heck, to call it "griefing" is a stretch in my eyes. I call it both "using a car the game developers made" and "using the car as intended - to race".

quote:

That said, I still agree pubbies often deserve it. Sometimes, though, you find a good lobby and you should be a good guy to share the track, and win on skill. That's when you leave the huge fast vans at home.

I apologize for coming off all preachy, "it's just a game" and all of that. Please don't be offended. Like every other gamer, I have opinions.
Totes agree there. If it's a lobby full of wreckers and/or people that just poo poo talk all day, the van is coming out.

If the lobby is full of people that are legit trying to race, then I trot out a proper sports car for the race so I can actually have some fun trying to race. Something that's hard to find on Live :(

---

Speaking of Goons and racing, I recently unlocked the ability to join a car club. I just joined up with GRC. Hope to race with you all soon. :)

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone else tried that Horizon Hub app yet? I gave it a whirl and got rewarded with 300,000 CR in both Forza 5 and Horizon 2. Literally just for launching the app!

That puts me at almost 1 mil in CR in both games. :D

So if you haven't yet, I suggest grabbing the Horizon Hub app!

E: It also said it gave me rewards in Horizon 1 and FM 4. I'm too lazy to find those games in my closet, but I wonder what those rewards are. The app didn't say.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

Wait I can make a non AWD drive car into an AWD car? :aaaaa:

What WinnebagoWarrior said. I have yet to see a car that you CAN'T make AWD. But, converting your car to AWD ups your car's PI significantly! Something to consider if you're trying to build a car and stay in a certain class.

Word of caution. If you plan to convert your car to AWD, don't buy any drive train upgrades until after the conversion. When it comes to any kind of swap - engine, aspiration and drive train - all the parts you bought for your engine, any upgraded intercooler/turbo(s) and any upgraded clutches, transmissions, etc. are all removed for each of the respective conversions.

So if you bought a race clutch, race tranny, etc. and later decide to to convert to AWD, guess what? You lose all of your upgrades before the AWD conversion and get to purchase those upgrades again. Learned that one the hard way since I didn't read the fine print in the conversion description box. :/

---

Perks chat. If you turn off almost all the assists and bump up AI difficulty to one notch below "Unbeatable", Horizon still hands out cash like candy! In my case, I get a 75% CR bonus just for having all aids off except ABS and the braking line. Rewind is also off. The only assist I'll enable is the full race line for those goddamn cross country events. The full racing line can be a little faint to see in the grass, but you can usually make it out. I use the full racing line to point me in the general direction of the next checkpoint. (gently caress cross country races!)

Between the insane payouts (seriously, like 10-15 grand in CR) and the wheel spins when you level up, I don't see the point in unlocking the perks for discounted cars or car upgrades. Since the online races - unless I'm missing something - don't assign championship points finishing positions. Instead, the standings are determined by XP. So for that reason, I went with the 10% XP bonus for XP earned after finishing an event.

To more quickly build up XP and skill chains, I bought the perks for longer skill change duration and the other stunt bonus perks. This also lets me somewhat game the system. If one of the events in an online championship is a sprint or street race that takes place over a long stretch of highway, I'll just buzz every NPC car (counts as a near miss). If you can maintain a super fast, top gear pace, buzz NPC cars, or even better, wedge your way cleanly between two NPC cars (counts as "Threading the Needle"), you can keep a skill chain going for a VERY long time. Doing so let's you build up so much XP that I've been able to top the leader boards in cars that have no business being in the top three.

I also opted for the fast travel anywhere perk. Although, I'm bummed that the perk literally just lets you fast travel anywhere, but not for free. :(

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 6, 2014

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

real_scud posted:

Yes but if you find all of the bonus boards you can then travel for free anywhere.

I've basically gotten to the point now where I think it'll only be a short time until I have every perk unlocked because now with about 5 minutes of normal driving I can get enough points to unlock another perk point.

If you want to get some seriously high points go to the industrial area that has the GTR bucket list challenge and simply go back and forth getting air everywhere and you can quickly get to the 100k+ pointstreaks and get perk points like candy.

Yeah, I'm really not in the mood to find and smash all the perks signs. But, It'll be worth it when I'm feeling lazy. Especially when all I want to do is change cars!

That said, I actually don't mind the drives to the different cities. Since they're connected by long stretches of highway, you can build up some serious skill chains and unlock perks more quickly.

Genius idea about going to that loading dock with the GTR challenge! I remember the challenge was easy to beat if you could find a path that consists of several jumps in a row. Follow the path, get air over 6-7 ramps, then at the end of the run, tug the e-brake and do it again.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

T Bowl posted:

Fun game so far, just checking in so I can sticky the thread and read up. Anyone know of easy ways to get free cars? I'm not paying for that VIP or car pass, gently caress that.

If you just straight up want a free car, your best bet is unfortunately to hope that you win one in the Wheelspin after leveling up. Otherwise, turn off as many assists as you can and go racing. The AI is kinda weak, so try setting the AI difficulty to "Highly Skilled". Don't worry, they don't get any more highly skilled. Instead of beating the AI cars by ~5-7 seconds, now you'll only beat them by 1-2 seconds. But, the AI can still be beaten by doing things like hopping curbs in city races and going off road where you can to shortcut the route. AI cars don't usually take advantage of these options. They stick to the open road.

Regarding assists, the ones that net a big bonus for disabling them are the Rewinds and setting the brakes to ABS only.

Also, there's a companion app to the Forza games called "Forza Hub". When I loaded it up, the app gifted me 300,000 CR on the spot. It also gifts that money to your accounts in FM4 and FM5. As you advance up in the game, Forza Hub rewards you with more cash. LOTS of cash!

E: Oh, check the marketplace. I don't know if you'd be able to, but you might still be able to download some of the free car packs like the Day One pack.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
So I managed to have enough free time to advance through the game and beat the finale. For me, the game gave me purpose - that is, trying to win enough championships to enter and beat the final stage.

Now that I've done that, I really feel like the game has no more replay value for me. The championships to get to the finale were never that fun. Very formulaic, two circuit races, a street race that is hard to navigate your way around, and a trail race that is IMPOSSIBLE to navigate around (and win) without both enabling the full racing line AND setting the AI to 'mouthbreather'.

Whereas with Forza 5, I keep coming back to play for the simple purpose of hotlapping since the the physics are spot on. It's fun to blast around in a car I can't afford on a real life track I want to drive on, while bound by real life handling. Horizon 2, in contrast, is still arcade-ish that while it was fun during the campaign, I don't really enjoy blasting around in an arcade game.

I also really wanted to get into the Horizon 2 world, but it just seems so, well, bland. All the cities seem the same, the roads connecting them (and scnenary) are all cookie cutter. Horizon 1's world was much more varied. You could go to different cities and each one seemed different. You could blast around a canyon, carve up mountain passes, or wind through beautiful forest roads.

Horizon 2, it's three beach towns connected by highways and mountain passes. No variety there.

Lastly, let's talk about the online play. It's pointless. Sure, I like to joke around, have fun and try to race in nonsensical vehicles like vans, SUVs, etc. But, I don't wreck people, I apologize if I screw up a braking zone and punt a guy, etc. But the Horizon players don't even try to race. Everyone just smashes everyone out of the way. I've tried for days to get a clean race in.

It hasn't happened.

I really regret buying this game on launch day. For $60, I feel ripped off. If I had paid $25 like I did for Horizon 1 (after it had been out a while), I would have felt like I got my money's worth.

Looking back, I should've passed on the game when the demo really, really underwhelmed me.

Ugh, just needed to rant a bit. Just got back from a few road trips, tried to get at least one clean race in. No dice. I just don't see the point in continuing to play. :(

I'm not a completist, so trying to find all the roads or barn finds doesn't appeal to me. And since the game hands out money like candy, there's no sense of accomplishment when you win enough races to finally afford that car you've been lusting after. The game hands out so much money, it's almost like having a money cheat enabled or something.

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 17, 2014

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

hanyolo posted:

I agree with the Multiplayer part, I wish there were several queues with options (no collisions, forced inside view, maybe a lower/higher class split too) like they do with Forza 5. Everyone just seems to vote S2 every time and drives like a maniac, even ramming you when you are on the same team as them in the red vs blue races.

This. You're spot on with this. All the racers vote S2 and pick cars that are wayy above their collective talent level. I did manage to get a few decent races in this past weekend. Emphasis on a few. Sadly, I started doing better once I adopted a "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude. To that end, I pretty much just pick the heaviest vehicles I own. That way, when I get crashed into, my battle tank of a van / SUV / truck doesn't really budge. Since I've given up on having clean races, I just return the other racers' favors, use the massive weight of my ride and slam them back. Not going to lie, it's very satisfying to exact revenge on a wrecker by slamming them into an oncoming car or a light pole. That crash sound effect and the sudden disappearance of the prick's car from my peripheral vision always makes me crack a smile.

The team thing is also annoying when the other racers don't get the concept of working together as, well, a team! It's pretty annoying when a faster teammate is on my rear end and they ram me into a wall after I've already pulled off the racing line to let them by. You know, so that way we can have more finishers on our team at the top of the standings!

quote:

I do really enjoy the road trip parts between the races though. With no checkpoints it's great to just blast through hills and forests just to get to the endpoint :v: makes me wish the cross country races had no checkpoints, or at least less checkpoints. Hopefully they'll add some more multiplayer options in a patch.

Also this. I would enjoy the trail races, street races and sprint races so much more if there were no checkpoints. Or at the very least, if there was a pointer arrow that can point you in the general direction of the next checkpoint. I'm not sure why they take away your GPS during those races too. In the developers' eyes, they probably thought the GPS would take away from the challenge. But I wouldn't think so. You still need to avoid cars, keep from crashing your ride into trees and still drive with skill to beat everyone else.

This game is like an abusive relationship. I keep coming back to it. No matter how much I bitch about it. I would totally be down for a Goon road trip so that we can actually get some clean racing in. Oddly enough, I've seen several GRC drivatars tooling around the game ever since joining GRC. I didn't think my world would be populated with Goon racers so soon!

I hope my drivatar doesn't say something like "stupid newbie" above it!

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
So I spent a good chunk of last night trying to find a group of racers that actually race instead passing people by ramming them into walls, light poles, etc.

I got so frustrated with being a front runner in a race, only to get punted off into a guard rail by some rear end in a top hat that deliberately used me as their brakes. After that, I decided "gently caress it". I ended up going with the heaviest vehicle I could find - the Hummer H1. I then kitted it out to max out the A-class rating.

Took it online and of naturally, the first event I try to play, everyone is slamming into everyone. I purposely hung back since the first section was a straight followed by a hairpin - a recipe for an eight car pileup. Once the inevitable pile up happened, I was able to avoid the carnage and go from ~11th all the way to 5th. Well, surprise! Some of the better racers caught up to me and tried to ram me off of the road.

That's when it was rear end in a top hat time. For cars that would pull along side me and try to ram me off the road, the heft of the H1 meant I was effortlessly punting these wreckers into trees, oncoming cars, etc. Not gonna lie, it was so satisfying to hear a crunch, followed immediately by the car instantly disappearing from your peripheral vision. The wreckers that tried to shunt me from behind only succeeded in giving my slow Hummer a speed boost and nearly taking themselves out.

Ugh, I shouldn't have to wreck people to stay competitive. So frustrating. I'm beginning to prefer playing Forza 5 online instead of FH2. Even though you'll get your fair share of wreckers on FM5, I've a good amount of luck finding lobbies where people actually do try to race. I guess I wasn't expecting a crowd not unlike you'll find when playing actual race sims. Makes sense since FM5 is way more sim than FH2 - a game that clearly a lot of people treat as a goof around game.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

WienerDog posted:

I started doing a lot of online road trips with pubbies a couple weeks ago, and I never experienced this level of frustration. The way the physics work in this game, and considering damage is off, getting bumped in a corner just doesn't upset the car that much. Sure, sometimes I careen into an impenetrable tree or telephone pole, or I hear people moan about getting nudged outside a checkpoint (which really sucks, almost guarantees a last place finish) but I find it's far from unplayable. It's so easy to race back to the front of the pack against most online opponents. Way better then FM5, where the tinniest nudge from some lagging ghost car (GT's will not be named) puts you into a wall with all sorts of damages.

I dunno, maybe I'm just slow, or not that competitive, because I think online roadtrips are fun.

It's been my experience that while you can survive bumping on a straightaway, the problem is that when I get bumped in mid-corner, it never fails, there is a tree, cliff or some stone wall that brings my car to a complete stop. A little friendly bumping is one thing. I actually tried again just now to get in some online races on my lunch break (working from home owns!) and I ran into that problem again.

I was racing a VW Bus that was kitted out to the max that the S1 class lets you get away with. I was actually doing pretty well. As in, placed second after leading the race (until, shocker, the second place guy literally speared me on a hairpin. Dude didn't TRY to brake. Of course, while I was busy un-loving myself from a dead stop, the guy was long gone. Luckily, most pubbies are poo poo racers. So, I was able to comfortably keep second place.

In a VW BUS! Let that sink in a minute. That was the first race. Then, in between the race to the next event and actually winning it (IN A BUS!) against Ferraris, Lambos, etc., I had enough XP to be leading the championship. After surviving the second race, the game started me mid pack for race 3. Guess who got punted into trees and guardrails? Yep. By this time, I decided to turn the game off to chill a little bit on my lunch break. I didn't care about abandoning the race since I knew that placing dead last was going to drop me to probably the bottom third of the standings.

Believe or not, I'm not one of those crazy sim racers that rage out at the slightest thing. What frustrates me is that the game does not seem fair. The game does not seem to really reward technical, proper driving. If a guy wrecks you, any wall, rail, tree that you hit brings you to a dead stop. Meanwhile, the guy that can't drive worth a drat but speared you into the wall drives away scot free. If it happens at the beginning of the race, you can usually salvage a mid-pack finish. But when it happens near the end of an event, you're all but guaranteed a last place finish.

It basically irks me to often be leading or be in the top three of a race, get punted into an obstacle and tumble down to 10th or something. And then by the end of the championship, I end up near the bottom of the table while having spent the majority of the races in the top three before being hosed over. :(

Nuts and Gum posted:

And now you know why people do it :) Driving lovely results in instant gratification, driving with skill takes patience with no immediate payoff. Guess which one people do more.

My wheel stand pro should be in today, can't wait to try this game with a wheel! :getin:

Yeah, since this game rewards driving like an rear end in a top hat, I can see why people don't even try to drive. That, and they're probably trolling. Ah well, thems the breaks.

Also, totally jealous of your wheel. I really wish I could afford a wheel for FM5 and FH2! I bet playing FM5 with a wheel, shifter and 3-pedal setup is a blast!

Edit: I'm not some superstar player. At the end of the day, pubbies are easy to beat up on. But I've raced with Goons in the past and you all are FAST! Keeping up with you all is a hell of a challenge! :)

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 28, 2014

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

SmokeyXIII posted:

E: I'm absolutely loving this game. I hate open world games in general but there is sort of a task when you are out and about just touring. Drive around clean with the traffic that's going with you. It feels cool even if it's just the computer to be rolling around 2Fast2Furious style with a bunch of Lamborghinis.

Yeah, the blasts from city to city are pretty fun events. They feel like being in a Gumball rally.

I'll likely have some free time tonight after trick or treating to play online if any Goons are up for that.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Last night, I tried repeatedly to join online road trips last night and kept getting disconnected. In particular, I could join the actual road trip and mess about in the map while waiting for the current event to finish.

But then the minute that the event finished and the message flashed that racers were returning to the map and collecting their prizes, I got disconnected. I tried this a good 4-5 times before giving up and playing FM5 and its rivals mode. Did anyone experience that last night? Are any of you experiencing that today?

Also, the barn find VW Bus is pretty drat good when tuned to the S1 class. I started racing it as a novelty until I noticed that it was pretty competitive! I converted it to AWD, did the supercharger aspiration conversion and I think I even swapped the engine out.

On the handling side, I bought every mod. I threw all the drivetrain mods at it. Bought the aero mods and race tires/upgraded tire widths as well. Lastly, I added full weight reduction and the chassis reinforcement. With the remaining PI points, I added as much engine parts as I could. This is all off the top of my head.

Once all the mods are added, the Bus turns into a fun machine to drive! AWD lets you kill everyone off the line, it has great acceleration thanks to the upgraded engine and customizable race transmission and the handling is like it's on rails, thanks to the aero. And if, or rather, when you get wrecked in to, the AWD lets you simply stand on the gas to recover. It's almost like cheating the way the Bus almost seems to point itself back towards the road.

If you're going to bother with the barn finds, I would totally try to look for that one. Sadly, I don't remember where I found it. I was killing time before having to be somewhere and decided to do the barn finds. I'm up to 6 out of 10 right now. The last four have been HARD to find! Has anyone here found all 10 yet?

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

SmokeyXIII posted:

Is there a way to play online in the class you want instead of just randomly being put into S2 when really you are a dad and cannot possible process things that fast?

Unfortunately, there's to way to explicitly select a class. The best you can hope for is that when it's time to vote for a destination, you vote for one that has the class you want to race. If you haven't already, try to unlock the perk where your vote counts double.

But in general, expect the typical group to select the destination with the fastest class. On the plus side, most pubbies wreck each other and generally can't drive for poo poo. I've won races where I was placed dead last on the grid by mere attrition. Most of the field will try to win the race at the first corner, so you can usually slingshot by them and gain ~5-6 places. Then just wait for the front runners to overcook corners and smash into trees. One by one, you'll probably be able to gain their spots.

---

Speaking of online. I thought the event I hated the most was those drat cross country races. No, actually, the worst events are those king and zombie ones. They're just so boring. And the maps are so large that you can basically just drive in circles and you won't get hit. Too bad that the community seems to actually like those. :(

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Atmus posted:

I suppose I should thank you, Turn 10, for sending me three Huricans and three Venenos, but as I already had a few of each, it just isn't that special :(

Oddly enough, I was sent a Hurican. Except I had already purchased one a while back. Anyways, when I first went to the My Cars section, I had two Huricans in my garage. Then, when I revisited my garage later to paint that gifted Hurican, I found it was gone from my garage! The only one that remained was the one I bought a while back.

I was also never gifted a Veneno. Bummer since in FM5, that car was a beast!

• Locked thread