Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the rights to graffiti were sold to a Japanese company who released an official graffiti keyboard for android in 2011 but it doesn't look like they're still active

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
can someone please explain the use case to me where i'd want all of my mobile apps on both my iDevice and my computer and have poo poo sync every time i plug it in

for real i don't get it

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the use case where you don't use icloud for whatever reason and then A Thing Happens to the phone and now you want your stuff back but you also don't feel like clicking the little cloud download in Purchased, because there's 12,595 lovely apps in it now and 20 good ones

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i lost my illicit gba emulator when my ios 8 install hosed up and I didn't have my apps synced :smith:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yodzilla posted:

can someone please explain the use case to me where i'd want all of my mobile apps on both my iDevice and my computer and have poo poo sync every time i plug it in

for real i don't get it

when you need to restore your phone (in the instance of, oh say an ios update) so it only takes about 20 minutes rather than 90+ with multiple device wipes plus the additional time of redownloading every app

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it would be cool if it at least saved a list of the apps you had installed when you backed up your phone so it could redownload them if it had to. the whole app syncing thing just seems like a holdover from the ipod

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hasn't it been possible for years now to use an iphone without syncing to a computer at all? how do you back up your apps then

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

you can just back up your device to itunes without syncing it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

THC posted:

you can just back up your device to itunes without syncing it

doesn't work for the apps

but it DOES work for the app data. redownload the app and all your poo poo's still there

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i forget how PC backup+restore works but icloud you just tell it "yeah restore this image" and over the next 30/45mins you can start using your phone while apps are downloaded and you just have to re-enter passwords for various things

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i mean like what about the gramma who has an ipad instead of a computer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Werthog 95 posted:

i mean like what about the gramma who has an ipad instead of a computer

South Hills Village used to have a barber shop calls My Father's Mustache. Then Dick's Sporting Goods moved in next door. They had to close the barber shop because it was unseemly to have Dicks by My Father's Mustache.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Werthog 95 posted:

hasn't it been possible for years now to use an iphone without syncing to a computer at all? how do you back up your apps then

i've had an iphone since the 5 launched and i've never once synced it with a computer

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Werthog 95 posted:

plug it into your computer

and make sure your apps are synced!!!!

no thanks. sounds like a lot of work because i'd have to first repair my broken computer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

no thanks. sounds like a lot of work because i'd have to first repair my broken computer

if only your life weren't such a goddamned calamity

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this is what images look like on twitter in landscape mode on a 5s

thanks timb

is this ios8 being a pos or twitter

~reachability~

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this is what images look like on twitter in landscape mode on a 5s

thanks timb

is this ios8 being a pos or twitter

~reachability~

lol

Apr 7, 2003

Timb? more like tomb. because he killed apple.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

infernal machines posted:

i still don't understand what motivates people to wait in line for hours or even full days for the sake of buying something you could have ordered online like two weeks ago.

it's bizarre. it's clearly not even instant gratification, since they're waiting in goddamn line for the thing.

i guess if you were trying to buy the phone cash or something, but who even does that?

maybe it's just something people are used to

hell they stand in a couple hours long lines for donuts in portland

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

My Linux Rig posted:

maybe it's just something people are used to

hell they stand in a couple hours long lines for donuts in portland

people do a lot of stupid poo poo in portland.

i'm talking about people who aren't from the hipster capital of the universe

it's somewhat understandable, if not really any less stupid, when people camp out for black friday sales or whatever the gently caress. it makes a certin amount of sense at least, in that you have to be physically present to buy the stuff that's on sale and the sooner you get in, the better the selection will be.

but none of that is even remotely comparable here. you'd have it sooner and without spending 16 hours in a line at the loving mall by just pre-ordering it off the apple site. there is no conceivable reason why you would wait in line for multiple hours to buy the thing in person.

Apr 7, 2003

infernal machines posted:

people do a lot of stupid poo poo in portland.

i'm talking about people who aren't from the hipster capital of the universe

it's somewhat understandable, if not really any less stupid, when people camp out for black friday sales or whatever the gently caress. it makes a certin amount of sense at least, in that you have to be physically present to buy the stuff that's on sale and the sooner you get in, the better the selection will be.

but none of that is even remotely comparable here. you'd have it sooner and without spending 16 hours in a line at the loving mall by just pre-ordering it off the apple site. there is no conceivable reason why you would wait in line for multiple hours to buy the thing in person.

People like to feel like they're a part of something exciting.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Werthog 95 posted:

i lost my illicit gba emulator

sounds like a boon op

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i never actually used the thing but it was cool to have http://toucharcade.com/2013/03/19/game-boy-advance-emulator-sneaks-on-to-the-app-store-via-awesome-baby-names/

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

I pulled out my Pokemon to impress girls at parties iykwim

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
hmmm yes it seems like adding music to my iphone 5 from itunes is bugged in ios 8, maybe half the songs actually go through each time gj Tim

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Syncopated posted:

hmmm yes it seems like adding music to my iphone 5 from itunes is bugged in ios 8, maybe half the songs actually go through each time gj Tim
timb only tested u2 and coldplay

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
ios8 upgrade experience: was helping a friend update his phone via itunes which dropped it down to recovery mode.

used tinyumbrella to kick it out and it's like half-updated now and half the features are not installed :golfclap:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
all u nerds are overthinking this

I am shocked that this is so difficult 4 u

iCloud backup > wipe > setup without apple account > install ios8 > wipe > restore from iCloud backup

all your apps and messages and everything come back

it just works!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

itunes upgrade worked just fine

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

Timb? more like tomb. because he killed apple.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mightaswell posted:

iCloud backup > wipe > setup without apple account > install ios8 > wipe > restore from iCloud backup

it just works!

or just do software update in settings :confused:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

***CRITICAL IOS8 BUG***

You can no longer pause gifs in safari by scrolling a little bit and holding it down

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

***CRITICAL IOS8 BUG***

You can no longer pause gifs in safari by scrolling a little bit and holding it down

yeah but otoh huge gifs dont crash safari anymore

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Mightaswell posted:

it just works!

yes because my friend totally wants to download 12GB of poo poo from his iCloud

he gonna be mad when he finds out it's the only fix

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

flyboi posted:

ios8 upgrade experience: was helping a friend update his phone via itunes which dropped it down to recovery mode.

used tinyumbrella to kick it out and it's like half-updated now and half the features are not installed :golfclap:

Cool post. These are the things we'll remember and carry with us on our journey. Life is amazing - truly.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

in ios8 if you are in a call will alarms still trigger and buzz and play music all over your conversation and into everyone's ears?

the other person doesn't hear it but you can't shut it off during the call if your phone is locked.

dumb fail bullshit

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

***CRITICAL IOS8 BUG***

an anroid feature. feel free to ask an anroid user, we've had this stuff for years, etc

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

the other person doesn't hear it but you can't shut it off during the call if your phone is locked.

dumb fail bullshit

much like your posting!

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

http://www.gba4iosapp.com/
theres one that still works without being hidden inside an app, you have to roll your date back to feb to install it or something, then its good to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

BrettRobb posted:

http://www.gba4iosapp.com/
theres one that still works without being hidden inside an app, you have to roll your date back to feb to install it or something, then its good to go

it works really well. If you restart your phone you have to roll back your date a day then launch it, but you can set it right back and it works until you power your phone down again

• Locked thread