Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
1pm Sunday, what threads do you want to see?
This poll is closed.
Separate by Network and a Redzone combined thread 216 41.62%
Go back to the one monster thread 213 41.04%
Don't care 90 17.34%
Total: 485 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Athanatos posted:

Why did this become a thing this year?

All the new seahawks posters, i.e. african aids cum and lord waffle beard began crying about it for some dumb reason. I think it sucks right now and I really don't feel like posting because it doesn't feel the same. THough I like the all in one SNF/MNF/TNF games because it feels like we are a forum of posters and not segregated into timezone ghettos. Its a travesty that its come to this honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ramadu posted:

All the new seahawks posters, i.e. african aids cum and lord waffle beard began crying about it for some dumb reason. I think it sucks right now and I really don't feel like posting because it doesn't feel the same. THough I like the all in one SNF/MNF/TNF games because it feels like we are a forum of posters and not segregated into timezone ghettos. Its a travesty that its come to this honestly.
We've let a few crazies ruin everything. We are the Republican party.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
soy del partido Izquierda unida (IU), gracias :colbert:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

wheez the roux posted:

soy del partido Izquierda unida (IU), gracias :colbert:

God Bless

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DangerKat posted:

More or less. Daltos rallied some posters to complain about MV in QCS, which opened the floodgates to other people bitching about how awful TFF is and then the topic GDT popped up. It was about as boring and uninteresting as it sounds.

Yeah pretty much. QCS is like high student government for the forums.

Although I liked high school student government so V:shobon:V

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

axeil posted:

Yeah pretty much. QCS is like high student government for the forums.

Although I liked high school student government so V:shobon:V
Except in this case, the student government has implemented the unequivocally wrong policy. :colbert:

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
theres too many threads to click now theres no way im going in any of those weird gdts or using a compass to determine which time zone im in down to the degree, whether the moon is full, and my current age divided by 7 to determine which one is for me

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
so the thread should be easier to find even if it's impossible to follow and really stupid, i guess

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Today was good thanks for posting and reading y'all.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today's thread sucked footballs.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Today's thread sucked footballs.

It was kind of fun to just post without thinking or reading anyone else's poo poo, so basically the same way I treat N/Vs.

But for real I wanted an actual discussion about my game with others who were watching.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

TubeStank posted:

Today was good thanks for posting and reading y'all.

Single thread made the Bills game so much better. Having the 3 redzone game reactions all at once was awesome, especially since I was just watching one game.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I think a few other people were watching browns-jags, not sure, didn't really connect with them in the thread

Loved seeing fifty posts about a field goal hitting an upright, though. Thats that good poo poo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

football fuckerman posted:

I think a few other people were watching browns-jags, not sure, didn't really connect with them in the thread

Loved seeing fifty posts about a field goal hitting an upright, though. Thats that good poo poo

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Unless that happened at some other point in the game that I can't locate oh no like five posts on a page!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3674327&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

I saw like three :doink: posts

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

TubeStank posted:

Unless that happened at some other point in the game that I can't locate oh no like five posts on a page!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3674327&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31

yep it happened somewhere else too

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Wanna show where? I looked through the thread and that was it.

Not being facetious here, but if you really wanted to just chat Browns / Jags or Browns / whoever why don't you post on SBNation's Browns page or reddit or something?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

ahahahahah

ahahahahahah

If you want to post about football, go somewhere else

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

TubeStank posted:

Wanna show where? I looked through the thread and that was it.

Not being facetious here, but if you really wanted to just chat Browns / Jags or Browns / whoever why don't you post on SBNation's Browns page or reddit or something?

There was definitely a section of quite a few posts of DONK and the law and order smiley, but if you think i'm paging through a GDT to find it you're crazy

And I am kind of disappointed that the idea is: This forum is better for discussion than reddit, except on game day, then better discussion can actually be had at reddit or SB Nation. I mean I always thought we were trying to avoid becoming that poo poo, but maybe we're trying to avoid becoming as thoughtful and high-content as loving SB Nation

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

It's more that you're complaining that people are posting about a game that people are watching that isn't your game. There were a handful of DONK posts when it happened, but it was contained to one page. It was nothing like what you were saying it was and if it was then it would be incredibly easy to find the page(s) that the posts happened on. You were watching Browns / Jags and there aren't a huge amount of Browns or Jags fans here and it wasn't really a game that many people were interested in watching, so...sorry that the thread wasn't talking about it much? Splitting the threads up won't do anything to fix that, but instead allows single games to dominate that thread even more.

The gameday threads have been megathreads forever. Even in split threads the posting was the exact same as it was in the megathread. It just slowed them down and made it more boring.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

There was definitely a section of quite a few posts of DONK and the law and order smiley, but if you think i'm paging through a GDT to find it you're crazy

And I am kind of disappointed that the idea is: This forum is better for discussion than reddit, except on game day, then better discussion can actually be had at reddit or SB Nation. I mean I always thought we were trying to avoid becoming that poo poo, but maybe we're trying to avoid becoming as thoughtful and high-content as loving SB Nation

Man for a dude who apparently wants thoughtful and in depth serious football discussion you sure do the exact opposite of that a whole lot. :\

Anyway this seems like more of an issue with gdts just in general. The split threads were still mostly low effort. It's rapid fire live reaction, that's sort of the nature of the beast.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TubeStank posted:

It's more that you're complaining that people are posting about a game that people are watching that isn't your game. There were a handful of DONK posts when it happened, but it was contained to one page. It was nothing like what you were saying it was and if it was then it would be incredibly easy to find the page(s) that the posts happened on. You were watching Browns / Jags and there aren't a huge amount of Browns or Jags fans here and it wasn't really a game that many people were interested in watching, so...sorry that the thread wasn't talking about it much? Splitting the threads up won't do anything to fix that, but instead allows single games to dominate that thread even more.

The gameday threads have been megathreads forever. Even in split threads the posting was the exact same as it was in the megathread. It just slowed them down and made it more boring.
Since I missed the day games, I'll defer to you. Couldn't have said it better myself.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Not for a lack of trying, though.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
It'd be nice to have both, a normal GDT that goes 10k miles/hour, and a more effort-y GDT for serious discussion, but I understand that'd make moderation hell.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

JPrime posted:

It'd be nice to have both, a normal GDT that goes 10k miles/hour, and a more effort-y GDT for serious discussion, but I understand that'd make moderation hell.

It wouldn't be and I tried to do that my first year as a mod. It died off because no one posted in it after a couple weeks. People don't really have much interest in making big in-depth effort posts in the middle of a game. They save it for after when there's time for some reflection and a more complete story to look at. The aftermath thread already pretty much serves that role.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Why not just have combined threads on weeks that have teams on byes, and split threads on weeks were there aren't?

Weeks 1-3 13-17 Split threads
Weeks 4-12 Combined threads

It isn't an even 50/50 split, but it's as close as you're going to get with a seventeen week schedule.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

korrandark posted:

Why not just have combined threads on weeks that have teams on byes, and split threads on weeks were there aren't?

Weeks 1-3 13-17 Split threads
Weeks 4-12 Combined threads

It isn't an even 50/50 split, but it's as close as you're going to get with a seventeen week schedule.
I would be okay with this, just because the split thread people will learn the error of their ways then there's a dearth of content in their threads come week 13. :getin:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Honestly, if I had noticed any additional level of discussion in the split threads I'd be a lot more on board with the idea. Instead we had three miniature slower versions of the main GDT that would have no new posts at all for minutes at a time, and then a page or two of :laffo: type reaction posts that are no higher in content than the monster thread. Easier to follow but no more content than before. GDTs are always going to be more or less "reaction" threads, also I saw earlier in the thread the suggestion that we have individual threads for each game and I just want to say hell no to that idea

Using bye weeks as a guide might be a good compromise

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 21, 2014

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Intruder posted:

Honestly, if I had noticed any additional level of discussion in the split threads I'd be a lot more on board with the idea. Instead we had three miniature slower versions of the main GDT that would have no new posts at all for minutes at a time, and then a page or two of :laffo: type reaction posts that are no higher in content than the monster thread. Easier to follow but no more content than before. GDTs are always going to be more or less "reaction" threads, also I saw earlier in the thread the suggestion that we have individual threads for each game and I just want to say hell no to that idea

Using bye weeks as a guide might be a good compromise

If there is absolutely no change in content at all, and no change in the volume of content, but easier to follow, then what's the problem?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Borsche69 posted:

If there is absolutely no change in content at all, and no change in the volume of content, but easier to follow, then what's the problem?

cause you've balkanized the posters for no good reason, which is why we got rid of divisional threads.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Qwijib0 posted:

cause you've balkanized the posters for no good reason, which is why we got rid of divisional threads.

What is wrong with vulcanized posters?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Balkanized has been used more in this thread than any modern European history class.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Mister Gorbachev, tear down this wall.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The argument has evolved into name calling, there is no point to make that has not been beaten to death, further discussion will only lead to madness.

Browns/Raiders. I'll even put the 2 thread position on Oakland just to end the fighting.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Josh Lyman posted:

Balkanized has been used more in this thread than any modern European history class.

What does Star Trek have to do with Europe?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Chichevache posted:

What does Star Trek have to do with Europe?

The Vulcans are stand-ins for the Roman stoics.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Probably Magic posted:

The Vulcans are stand-ins for the Roman stoics.

Hey Mike, I call those guys Seattle first rounders because they never show me anything.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Qwijib0 posted:

Divisional Threads owned though. At least, the AFCN thread, which was the best and had the best posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I too love lovely circlejerk wankfests

• Locked thread