Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
1pm Sunday, what threads do you want to see?
This poll is closed.
Separate by Network and a Redzone combined thread 216 41.62%
Go back to the one monster thread 213 41.04%
Don't care 90 17.34%
Total: 485 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kibner posted:

Phone posting actually makes finding your quoted posts easier than in a browser.

Not if you have something like the SALR add-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Chichevache posted:

If that is the case then all of those posts were "lol" or some nonsense like that, which is exactly why so many of us wanted separate threads. Those other threads allow us to skip that bullshit and actually post something about the game besides twitter reactions.

So what you want is a GDT to not be a GDT. The only time there are a ton of posts with "lol" etc is when something actually really funny happens like the Buttfumble. More people seeing cool poo poo and reacting to it at the same time = a good thing.

Edit: GDTs aren't for ~game anaysis~ they're for reacting to the game as it happens. That's what the aftermath thread is for.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 19, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chichevache posted:

Trying to read 100 posts per minute makes phone posting suck too.

If you're reading both threads you're reading 100 posts per minute with the added annoyance of having to go back and forth between them.

Or 3 threads if you do the redzone one too.

Monster thread please come back.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 19, 2014

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TubeStank posted:

So what you want is a GDT to not be a GDT. The only time there are a ton of posts with "lol" etc is when something actually really funny happens like the Buttfumble. More people seeing cool poo poo and reacting to it at the same time = a good thing.

Edit: GDTs aren't for ~game anaysis~ they're for reacting to the game as it happens. That's what the aftermath thread is for.

We have a matchup analysis thread now too. So we're posting thoughts about games in analysis, aftermath, and (on a slow news day) N/V threads. GDTs were always just meant to be chill places to relax and post while actually watching the loving games.

football fuckerman posted:

Now we're pretending people read other people's posts in the large GDTs? I would say about half the questions that get posted get answered at all. And if you do ask a question you have to look carefully for anyone answering you, and yes, soon enough you're five pages behind

The large single GDT can only be followed if it's the only thing you're doing. If it's not, if you happen to look at the game on TV or talk to another person, you're over a page behind and you're drat well skipping to the last page, don't lie

I've been able to read and catch up for pretty much every GDT (exception was of course the Thanksgiving Pats/Jets game), and I'm not even a fast reader.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

TubeStank posted:

And maybe some of us enjoy doing that for the game we are currently watching as well as in the aftermath threads? You're just defining a GDT as "the way I like it to be" and then disagreeing when other people prefer a different format. I want a GDT the way I like it, and the only reason so many people seem to have a problem with that is because their monster thread doesn't get as many "lol :romo:" as it used to. A bunch of us want to take a different approach to it, I don't see why that is so harmful to your way of life.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The reason I don't care for the split threads is because I like to see all the reactions to every game without having to jump between threads. And don't tell me "that's what the redzone thread is for" because that is, at best, about a third of the reactions.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

kidcoelacanth posted:

The reason I don't care for the split threads is because I like to see all the reactions to every game without having to jump between threads. And don't tell me "that's what the redzone thread is for" because that is, at best, about a third of the reactions.

Half the time you don't even know what the reactions are for. Was it the sick tackle on the Bills game, the awesome interception in the green bay game or the stupid crap someone said on a commercial during break? "o poo poo!" covers all three. And if you have to scan a page a minute, are you even watching the games to understand what people are reacting to?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think split threads will be better to follow. Like if I see a big 'holy poo poo' flood half the time I'm not sure if people are losing it over like two different things.

I Own Soulz posted:

Half the time you don't even know what the reactions are for. Was it the sick tackle on the Bills game, the awesome interception in the green bay game or the stupid crap someone said on a commercial during break? "o poo poo!" covers all three. And if you have to scan a page a minute, are you even watching the games to understand what people are reacting to?

Basically this, yea, sometimes just lurking GDTs makes me feel like I'm spending more time glancing at my computer than watching the game.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Doctor Butts posted:

Not if you have something like the SALR add-on.

Whats this?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

swickles posted:

Whats this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3208437

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

TubeStank posted:

Edit: GDTs aren't for ~game anaysis~ they're for reacting to the game as it happens.

I don't think that was very valuable and, thankfully it is better now this way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

African AIDS cum posted:

I don't think that was very valuable and, thankfully it is better now this way.

They still are that, just split between three threads.

Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying here?

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
I think the split threads lose their charm but it looks like the lame-os will win this one. I guess I'll have to hang out in the toasted oat Redzone thread instead of Cheerio traditional GDTs

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

MonsterWalk posted:

I think the split threads lose their charm but it looks like the lame-os will win this one. I guess I'll have to hang out in the toasted oat Redzone thread instead of Cheerio traditional GDTs

Good might have prevailed if there weren't those fencesitters :argh:

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

TubeStank posted:

I'm pretty sure talking about the game as it happens is the loving definition of "reacting to the game as it happens". The slower threads aren't full of people coming up with thousand-word screeds on the spot about whatever, it's people saying, for instance, "drat, the defense is getting killed by the run today", and then maybe people coming back with "is it just me or has [x player] been getting burned a lot", "why do they keep doing [y]", "remember when that other play happened that one time", "i don't know why i'm watching the packers anyway".

It's talking about what's happening in that game at that moment. It's stuff that doesn't fit in the other threads because nobody is sitting there making notes about what they were thinking about between the 9th and 6th minute of the second quarter in one of the 1PM matchups to go discuss, possibly in some kind of boardroom in some kind of suit that fits neatly over pads, with interested posters later. No, not even in the aftermath threads.

Now admittedly that is an idealised version of how that conversation might go (if it goes anywhere) but on the other hand the idealised version of the big threads is that you can post "lol" and refresh and look at all the other people that posted slightly different variations of "lol" so uh

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Would a Serious Thread and a Redzone/Old GDT style thread be a good compromise? One thread where you could actually discuss the games at a little bit slower, more moderated pace, and one for posting buttfumble.gif and 10 :laffo:s in a row?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I think people should describe what they just saw that was so awesome they're posting, not just say "wow" and :post:.

Like "drat this san diego announcer is horrible, humping the :usa: flag."

Or "woooow, the seahawks just threw a crazy td".

Then it doesn't matter so much if everyone's all in 1 big thread, they'll know to flip the channel or stream for a replay.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Philip Rivers posted:

Would a Serious Thread and a Redzone/Old GDT style thread be a good compromise? One thread where you could actually discuss the games at a little bit slower, more moderated pace, and one for posting buttfumble.gif and 10 :laffo:s in a row?

We had that. It got 10 posts one weekend.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

effectual posted:

I think people should describe what they just saw that was so awesome they're posting, not just say "wow" and :post:.

Like "drat this san diego announcer is horrible, humping the :usa: flag."

Or "woooow, the seahawks just threw a crazy td".

Then it doesn't matter so much if everyone's all in 1 big thread, they'll know to flip the channel or stream for a replay.

But how will people know that I was the first person to recognize a big play if I can't just string together a bunch of :stare:s?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Philip Rivers posted:

But how will people know that I was the first person to recognize a big play if I can't just string together a bunch of :stare:s?

Don't be like that douche that wanted credit for breaking an injury on twitter.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Philip Rivers posted:

No, because those of us who want more than just a simulation of sitting in a room with a bunch of people would actually like to talk about the game we are watching instead of talking over the other 9 games to make a point about the one we are watching.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
One bigass thread, please.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Chris de Sperg posted:

I'm pretty sure talking about the game as it happens is the loving definition of "reacting to the game as it happens". The slower threads aren't full of people coming up with thousand-word screeds on the spot about whatever, it's people saying, for instance, "drat, the defense is getting killed by the run today", and then maybe people coming back with "is it just me or has [x player] been getting burned a lot", "why do they keep doing [y]", "remember when that other play happened that one time", "i don't know why i'm watching the packers anyway".

It's talking about what's happening in that game at that moment. It's stuff that doesn't fit in the other threads because nobody is sitting there making notes about what they were thinking about between the 9th and 6th minute of the second quarter in one of the 1PM matchups to go discuss, possibly in some kind of boardroom in some kind of suit that fits neatly over pads, with interested posters later. No, not even in the aftermath threads.

Now admittedly that is an idealised version of how that conversation might go (if it goes anywhere) but on the other hand the idealised version of the big threads is that you can post "lol" and refresh and look at all the other people that posted slightly different variations of "lol" so uh

This also happened in the One Big Thread dude. The style of posting really doesn't seem to have changed at all. It's just slow and more cumbersome trying to figure out what is going on in other games. It's not hard to find out what team most people are talking about because most people have a player or coach in their avatars.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 21, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chris de Sperg posted:

The style of posting has not changed a bit. It just is split up between more threads. If that is what you want to make it "readable" then fine but don't pretend it suddenly changed how we do things for no reason.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

At this point, I don't even want you slow posting, split thread lamers in my thread. :colbert: Keep the CBS/FOX/RZC split. Us old school :cool: kids know where to hang out.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

At this point, I don't even want you slow posting, split thread lamers in my thread. :colbert: Keep the CBS/FOX/RZC split. Us old school :cool: kids know where to hang out.

yes, in the thread where the Cowboys are playing so that we can all laugh at them to make ourselves feel better about Our Bad Teams

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

yes, in the thread where the Cowboys are playing so that we can all laugh at them to make ourselves feel better about Our Bad Teams

:(

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

The slower the GDT (such as boring TNF games) the more likely there's a derail circlejerk.

Oh you think this woman is attractive or this food is appetizing or this music is good or this book was exciting? No one gives a poo poo let's just talk football.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

kazil posted:

The slower the GDT (such as boring TNF games) the more likely there's a derail circlejerk.

Oh you think this woman is attractive or this food is appetizing or this music is good or this book was exciting? No one gives a poo poo let's just talk football.

Wrong.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

kazil posted:

Complaining about commercials in GDTs and reading derails is the only thing that makes bad games bearable.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I voted: Go back to the one monster thread

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

axeil posted:

Complaining about commercials in GDTs and reading derails is the only thing that makes bad games bearable.

Another reason why smaller threads are bad.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I suppose next people will want division threads back.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I suppose next people will want division threads back.

People have always wanted them back. Not gonna happen, though.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I completely missed this happening because monsterthreads aren't a thing anymore and I was reading the FOX thread (which is moving really loving slowly, extremely manageable even if you doubled it, FYI)

MonsterWalk posted:

Hi. JFF just lined up as a WR and ran for 35 yards.

Bring back the old GDTs

Bring back the old GDTs

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Brannock posted:

I completely missed this happening because monsterthreads aren't a thing anymore and I was reading the FOX thread (which is moving really loving slowly, extremely manageable even if you doubled it, FYI)

Bring back the old GDTs

I completely missed that too, holy poo poo

Bring back the old GDTs

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Regardless the FOX thread is moving really slowly and I don't really see the need for split threads.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
slow threads are really good. that play didn't count anyway

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

There sure are a lot of people calling for one big thread who are also not posting in the chillest thread on the forums, RZC Thread for Cool People.

The reason a thread goes slowly is that people aren't posting. Be the change you want to see, :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

kazil posted:

Nope, we want to talk about the hot cheerleader too and that's ok

• Locked thread