Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
1pm Sunday, what threads do you want to see?
This poll is closed.
Separate by Network and a Redzone combined thread 216 41.62%
Go back to the one monster thread 213 41.04%
Don't care 90 17.34%
Total: 485 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dr Tran posted:

I like how the 10am games are split by network and then there's one 1pm thread.

Oh, right. When he says 1 PM he means 1 PM Eastern. In some parts of the country football does not start during breakfast. It's crazy.

There aren't enough games in the afternoon to make splitting the thread worthwhile. This poll is exclusively in reference to the early games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cole posted:

So post in the red zone thread... Because that's exactly what red zone is.

I don't see why the red zone thread can't be for people who want their monster thread.

Part of what made those threads chaotic monsters (which is what some people liked) was that a shitload of people were posting in them at once, which will never happen in the red zone thread because there are two other GDTs going at the same time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This poll is not very helpful!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

So uh people who want the monster thread for some reason and are not satisfied with having four other threads to commune with the spirits: why does the RedZone thread not work

MourningView posted:

Part of what made those threads chaotic monsters (which is what some people liked) was that a shitload of people were posting in them at once, which will never happen in the red zone thread because there are two other GDTs going at the same time.

And a lot of the people who liked it the old way don't watch Redzone, they just like having reactions to all the other games in the thread they're posting in. I don't care which way we do it, but people acting like the red zone thread is the exact same thing are misunderstanding what people who liked one big thread actually miss (whether or not the thing they miss was actually good is I suppose up for debate).

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 24, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Spoilers for football ahahhahahahaha

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

King Hong Kong posted:

This is probably the best solution until the minority of TFF that supports the network threads loses interest in them.

If it is a minority it's not by much. That option was winning the poll until fairly recently. It's a pretty even split. Neither side really has the consensus behind it which is frustrating from a moderation perspective because there's really no way for us to win.

Febreeze posted:

Honestly split threads is one thing the Redzone thread going at the same time was a dumb idea from the start.

Well one of the common complaints we got to the idea of a split thread is that a lot of people, especially early, watch Redzone, and it's pretty hard to participate if you're doing that with split threads, so it seemed like a good idea. I guess it died this week, but it's worth trying. People seemed to like it a lot earlier in the year.

I would prefer we did not try to do both things at once because that's confusing (and also doesn't actually give people who want one big thread what they want because a chunk of the forum is going to post in the split ones and the community will be balkanized anyway). Kalli and I haven't decided for sure yet, but I'm leaning towards giving the One Big Thread a try again next week to see how people like it (it existed before, obviously, but maybe some people don't totally remember how those go or are new or whatever), and then leave the poll open for another week to decide what people want to do long term (should we do this I would ask that you please DO NOT try to start split threads as well). Obviously the poll being split more or less down the middle isn't ideal but I don't know what to do about that. Whichever way we do it is going to make some people mad, which really sucks, but so it goes, I guess. Realistically we can't have it both ways.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 6, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

football fuckerman posted:

There was definitely a section of quite a few posts of DONK and the law and order smiley, but if you think i'm paging through a GDT to find it you're crazy

And I am kind of disappointed that the idea is: This forum is better for discussion than reddit, except on game day, then better discussion can actually be had at reddit or SB Nation. I mean I always thought we were trying to avoid becoming that poo poo, but maybe we're trying to avoid becoming as thoughtful and high-content as loving SB Nation

Man for a dude who apparently wants thoughtful and in depth serious football discussion you sure do the exact opposite of that a whole lot. :\

Anyway this seems like more of an issue with gdts just in general. The split threads were still mostly low effort. It's rapid fire live reaction, that's sort of the nature of the beast.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

JPrime posted:

It'd be nice to have both, a normal GDT that goes 10k miles/hour, and a more effort-y GDT for serious discussion, but I understand that'd make moderation hell.

It wouldn't be and I tried to do that my first year as a mod. It died off because no one posted in it after a couple weeks. People don't really have much interest in making big in-depth effort posts in the middle of a game. They save it for after when there's time for some reflection and a more complete story to look at. The aftermath thread already pretty much serves that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ok we will do that bye week thing

• Locked thread