Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
1pm Sunday, what threads do you want to see?
This poll is closed.
Separate by Network and a Redzone combined thread 216 41.62%
Go back to the one monster thread 213 41.04%
Don't care 90 17.34%
Total: 485 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I actually read and enjoyed the thread this week on the NFC-visiting games. I stopped reading the single large 1 eastern thread because it was too big and moved too fast. Three pages of LOL ELI isn't funny or interesting to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Honestly I think people who like the chaos can just hop on Twitter and search the game-specific hashtags (visiting team vs home team, three-letter abbreviations) and get the same effect of impossible to follow non-conversations

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Now we're pretending people read other people's posts in the large GDTs? I would say about half the questions that get posted get answered at all. And if you do ask a question you have to look carefully for anyone answering you, and yes, soon enough you're five pages behind

The large single GDT can only be followed if it's the only thing you're doing. If it's not, if you happen to look at the game on TV or talk to another person, you're over a page behind and you're drat well skipping to the last page, don't lie

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

This just encourages people to try either better or worse posting and eliminates dull average white noise.

This was thoroughly disproven every single 1 p.m. gdt last year

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol did that really happen? That would have been awesome to experience and now I'm pissed split threads robbed me of that. :colbert:

You could read two threads

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Codependent Poster posted:

Then you're still following the same amount of posts with the added inconvenience of having two tabs.

Actually good news, you'll see more posts because people like me will read and post in the less ridiculous split threads but not in the single awful one

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Why is anybody trying to GDT from a phone?

The world needs to know OMG Raiders keep Raidering at all times

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Lol this fame is hear - helpful gdt phone posting

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Wilford Cutlery posted:

This. I'd like to be able to keep up with my thread, not find myself like 5 pages behind when I take a piss run, and still be able to watch and follow the game too.

The solution when you're five pages behind is to not read any posts you missed and just type holky gently caress into the reply box to be ready for the next holky gently caress moment

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Josh Lyman posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you're trying to read every post in a GDT, you're holding reading it wrong.

Welp I guess we knew this was part of the philosophy with one big thread but this is kind of why they are awful.

Why would we have a thread where people post without reading? What kind of thread does that produce

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Sour Diesel posted:

what is the full gdt experience

- open thread
- post thought on game
- watch next 2 plays
- return to thread list
- see 120 new replies in thread
- go get another beer
- text mom instead of posting in gdt

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

so why text instead of call

We call at halftime. Typically our feeds are very off in terms of time and that can be frustrating, as she'll react to a play about 10 seconds before I see it, then I demand to know what happened, and it's less fun for both of us

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
If not for my mom I would abandon the Browns entirely but she deserves to have someone to suffer with

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

kidcoelacanth posted:

I notice that everyone in favor of the split threads seem to want some big conversation to happen in them, but it sure looks to me like the posting is the same as it's always been. Now it's just harder to read everything.

I like the split threads because the one i care about moves slow enough that i can read every post and respond to them. you know, a conversation

i know i'm in the minority in expecting a conversation on a forum, but i can yell dumb poo poo into empty space irl if i want to

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Josh Lyman posted:

GDTs are no place for civilized conversation :colbert:

again, i know i'm in the minority. i know most people are like you and don't read the posts in the thread before posting

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
i'm glad we have this thread so the awful circular debate is contained. except when people started whining in the GDTs today but whatever

if we go back to a single thread that's fine, i've enjoyed talking to browns posters and opposing posters but i won't read a single thread, it's not worth it to try to pick out relevant posts. i'll just talk to people in the other threads

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
THREAD STRATEGIZING

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It's a lovely moderating situation but I don't think it's life or death. The purpose of the forum is sharing news and jokes and stuff and it does great for that

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Sour Diesel posted:

I'm ready to get into some intense plans I have for some threads. You down, Rap?

I'm workshopping thread titles as we post, my man

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I don't think a new poll will do much, I mean even if one or the other wins by a few votes it's still obvious there is split opinion

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
or maybe we could bloo bloo bloo my personal opinion

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

axeil posted:

This is why the split thread experiment hasn't worked. Maybe it would've 5 years ago when there were a lot more people around
You think there were more people a few years ago? I think the opposite is the case

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
so the thread should be easier to find even if it's impossible to follow and really stupid, i guess

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I think a few other people were watching browns-jags, not sure, didn't really connect with them in the thread

Loved seeing fifty posts about a field goal hitting an upright, though. Thats that good poo poo

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

TubeStank posted:

Unless that happened at some other point in the game that I can't locate oh no like five posts on a page!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3674327&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31

yep it happened somewhere else too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

TubeStank posted:

Wanna show where? I looked through the thread and that was it.

Not being facetious here, but if you really wanted to just chat Browns / Jags or Browns / whoever why don't you post on SBNation's Browns page or reddit or something?

There was definitely a section of quite a few posts of DONK and the law and order smiley, but if you think i'm paging through a GDT to find it you're crazy

And I am kind of disappointed that the idea is: This forum is better for discussion than reddit, except on game day, then better discussion can actually be had at reddit or SB Nation. I mean I always thought we were trying to avoid becoming that poo poo, but maybe we're trying to avoid becoming as thoughtful and high-content as loving SB Nation

• Locked thread