Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
1pm Sunday, what threads do you want to see?
This poll is closed.
Separate by Network and a Redzone combined thread 216 41.62%
Go back to the one monster thread 213 41.04%
Don't care 90 17.34%
Total: 485 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Monster thread and people who can't handle the monster threads are big babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Split threads makes phone posting suck but looks like this is a losing battle.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Trying to read 100 posts per minute makes phone posting suck too.

100 posts in a GDT takes all of 1 minute to scan.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Chichevache posted:

If that is the case then all of those posts were "lol" or some nonsense like that, which is exactly why so many of us wanted separate threads. Those other threads allow us to skip that bullshit and actually post something about the game besides twitter reactions.

So what you want is a GDT to not be a GDT. The only time there are a ton of posts with "lol" etc is when something actually really funny happens like the Buttfumble. More people seeing cool poo poo and reacting to it at the same time = a good thing.

Edit: GDTs aren't for ~game anaysis~ they're for reacting to the game as it happens. That's what the aftermath thread is for.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 19, 2014

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

MonsterWalk posted:

I think the split threads lose their charm but it looks like the lame-os will win this one. I guess I'll have to hang out in the toasted oat Redzone thread instead of Cheerio traditional GDTs

Good might have prevailed if there weren't those fencesitters :argh:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Chris de Sperg posted:

I'm pretty sure talking about the game as it happens is the loving definition of "reacting to the game as it happens". The slower threads aren't full of people coming up with thousand-word screeds on the spot about whatever, it's people saying, for instance, "drat, the defense is getting killed by the run today", and then maybe people coming back with "is it just me or has [x player] been getting burned a lot", "why do they keep doing [y]", "remember when that other play happened that one time", "i don't know why i'm watching the packers anyway".

It's talking about what's happening in that game at that moment. It's stuff that doesn't fit in the other threads because nobody is sitting there making notes about what they were thinking about between the 9th and 6th minute of the second quarter in one of the 1PM matchups to go discuss, possibly in some kind of boardroom in some kind of suit that fits neatly over pads, with interested posters later. No, not even in the aftermath threads.

Now admittedly that is an idealised version of how that conversation might go (if it goes anywhere) but on the other hand the idealised version of the big threads is that you can post "lol" and refresh and look at all the other people that posted slightly different variations of "lol" so uh

This also happened in the One Big Thread dude. The style of posting really doesn't seem to have changed at all. It's just slow and more cumbersome trying to figure out what is going on in other games. It's not hard to find out what team most people are talking about because most people have a player or coach in their avatars.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 21, 2014

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

axeil posted:

Complaining about commercials in GDTs and reading derails is the only thing that makes bad games bearable.

Another reason why smaller threads are bad.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

If it's split then we should go back to the way it was before all this--the megathread.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

GNU Order posted:

The idea is that I can tangentially follow a couple of the games when there's less posts to filter through. The split is fairly arbitrary IMO but the point is not less white noise, it's less overall posting which means your replies or posts you made which were replied to don't get lost in the din.

The big thread is a great way to keep track of all the games, though. It's a pain in the rear end to go back and forth on a phone when sitting on the couch, so there's no point in checking in on cool poo poo in the other threads.

Like, this argument has gone in circles a billion times and the poll is equal plus a bunch of fencesitters. Is there even an end date when it's getting shut down?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Chichevache posted:

You know what else is a great way of tracking games?

Doesn't do poo poo when you're on your phone on the couch. Also you don't know if anything cool happened.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Now that byes have started are we going back to the big thread? I ask partially because I love the big thread, but also check out this viewing chart for Sunday:

Pretty much everybody gets the lovely GB / CHI game on Fox.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Since TFF is its own forum so I guess I don't get why you can't have the separate Gameday threads.

Because they're slower and more boring and it doesn't improve gameday posting.

Plus then the CBS people missed out on some Bears fan breaking his table and blaming it on his dog.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Yep.

Guru Yaekob posted:

I'm a man child with anger issues, gently caress the Bears

Guru Yaekob posted:

Its a joke my dog jumped up on the coffee table to cool off and she slipped on the end and it shattered.

Guru Yaekob posted:

No she did for real she always lays on it

TBH this was more interesting than the games were.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

This is the ideal situation that I initially suggested, with each game getting its own GDT.

This pretty much happened with the Fox thread last week because t here was maybe one non-Packers/Bears post per page.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

We went to the split threads for no real reason and it's been a lovely experiment. One of the three threads has effectively died, we've had split threads that have turned into one game threads...the new system sucks rear end. The posting is the exact same as it was before.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

If it's the same then why change it back.

Because it's less convenient going between two threads to see what's happening in other games. The entire purpose of three (now probably only two) threads was "the posting quality will be better!" but that hasn't been the case at all (not that there was an issue with that style of posting in a GDT to begin with).

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

How can you see what's happening in a game when the thread moves two pages every minute

That barely ever happens and only happens when something ridiculous happens in one of the games. It's not hard to scroll by a page of people saying similar things!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

That didn't 'barely ever happen' lol as evidenced by the fact that just about everyone acknowledges the fact that the one GDT moves really loving fast, and that a lot of people like the one GDT for that exact reason.

It takes about a minute to read an entire page. It's a GDT. Slow moving GDTs are boring as gently caress and get abandoned. See: the RedZone thread.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

Which one died, they both made 30 pages.

RedZone.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

The Dave posted:

Truly being unbiased: the split seems useful for weeks 1-3, then schedules thin out and big thread seems more manageable (so far).

Agreed. Tbh I thought this was the plan to begin with.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Huh Borsche and African AIDS Cum complaining about stupid poo poo who would have guessed.

Big threads are the way to go.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

You realize that the majority currently is in favor of split threads, right?

And it's been bouncing back and forth for the past few weeks.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Chichevache posted:

No. This is stupid. We are keeping the split threads. We have enough people that want to enjoy their own threads that we can just keep doing it whether they like it or not.

"We are keeping the split threads" says someone who has as much ability as I do to make the decision to keep the Far Superior One Big Thread.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Chichevache posted:

You're wrong. I can create my thread and post in it, you can't make one thread and force everyone else to post in it.

Mods were sorta endorsing the split and the megathreads dude. That's why last week was a megathread.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

wheez the roux posted:

shot drinking contest, each side elects a champion to represent them and the last man standing decides the fate of the GDTs

Agreed this is the right idea

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Today was good thanks for posting and reading y'all.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Unless that happened at some other point in the game that I can't locate oh no like five posts on a page!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3674327&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Wanna show where? I looked through the thread and that was it.

Not being facetious here, but if you really wanted to just chat Browns / Jags or Browns / whoever why don't you post on SBNation's Browns page or reddit or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

It's more that you're complaining that people are posting about a game that people are watching that isn't your game. There were a handful of DONK posts when it happened, but it was contained to one page. It was nothing like what you were saying it was and if it was then it would be incredibly easy to find the page(s) that the posts happened on. You were watching Browns / Jags and there aren't a huge amount of Browns or Jags fans here and it wasn't really a game that many people were interested in watching, so...sorry that the thread wasn't talking about it much? Splitting the threads up won't do anything to fix that, but instead allows single games to dominate that thread even more.

The gameday threads have been megathreads forever. Even in split threads the posting was the exact same as it was in the megathread. It just slowed them down and made it more boring.

• Locked thread