Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
1pm Sunday, what threads do you want to see?
This poll is closed.
Separate by Network and a Redzone combined thread 216 41.62%
Go back to the one monster thread 213 41.04%
Don't care 90 17.34%
Total: 485 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Ehud posted:

A vote for monster thread is a vote for America :911:

One big throbbing GDT as the founders intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Who wants conversation in a GDT. There's N/V threads for that, and aftermath threads, and analysis threads.

People who watch games alone in sadness with no friends and want to talk to someone to experience some level of human contact

so yeah, Split threads gonna win in Something Awful

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Sour Diesel posted:

The split threads are fine, no reason to split up anything but the 1pm games though.

This is the sense I'm getting. After 3 weeks I can see the appeal of the split threads. The posts are still mostly white noise (WOW...THING HAPPENED!), but the pace is a little more manageable. If we are going to have split threads only split the early games. There is no point to having multiple threads for later games when only 3 games are going on at most and it's easier to follow anyway.

(I still vote megathread)

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 24, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Chichevache posted:

It was actually great all the way through. Stayed on topic for the most part and had some good discussion. No quibbling between Broncos and Seahawks fans (outside the normal taunting at least), and was overall very enjoyable. I liked having a nice single game thread and would enjoy doing it again in the future. I think a majority of people just assumed it would be bad for some reason and didn't bother checking it out.

It wasn't a bad thread but it was a completely pointless one. There isn't enough action at the late games slot to warrant single game threads. Most people only watch whatever the big game is on that time slot anyway and a few people watching the others. Just keep late games as 1 thread.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

sweet thursday posted:

We keep talking about the packaging for all this, but we should be talking about the product

There will always be random people who come into the GDT, but unless it's the playoffs 80% of the people who are posting are guys who are here throughout the week. There wouldn't be as much a problem with keeping up with threads if people had more to say than LOL or WHOA or whatever. I mean yeah it's a free-for-all mental diarrhea session with a few kernels of football swimming around it, and I of all people won't be telling anyone not to poo poo post, but at least grab on to the toilet seat for leverage and burn your rear end in a top hat with a little bit of effort before you hit send

That's one of the reasons why I still think megathread is the best idea. We can prance on about it being easier to follow, or more time for effort posts, but I've read the split threads and they are basically still the exact same thing they've always been. White noise posts of people reacting to what's happening. Nobody is talking to each other, not really. It's people posting reactions to what happened. Instead of one big thread with reaction shots, now we have 2. People who effort or try and be funny still get overlooked because no one is really paying that close attention in a GDT, no one ever has. Even single game GDTs at night have this problem. People only discuss when the game is boring, and when the game gets boring we get duck penis derails not discussion.

Why not just keep that in one thread instead of diluting it through more?

sweet thursday posted:

Still though, what's the point of having more things be noticed when they're not worth attention in any case

Nailed it

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 24, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Borsche69 posted:

This is the ideal situation that I initially suggested, with each game getting its own GDT.

This would result in like 10 threads with maybe 7-12 posters max all just talking to each other for two pages and would be a boring pathetic waste of thread. We'd get one interesting thread where the most viewed/crazy game is happening, and a bunch of dead threads. There wouldn't be enough people watching a particular game when 9 others are on at the same time. Single Game GDTs only work when lots of posters are on the same game.

GDTs were and still are mostly just places to reaction post. Most people don't want to discuss and analyze during a game, they want to take in the game and lol when something happens. No one really reads because the game is on. The split threads have indeed slowed things down enough to participate in some chat if you are the lonely goon looking for that sort of thing, but still have enough games going on that it moves at a fast enough clip during the boring parts of your game to keep things fun.

Just keep it how it is now. Split early, all one thread late, single GDTs for primetime.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Read the threads. Most people are still just posting reactions a lot of the time. Split threads just make it a little easier to keep track of who is reacting to what. GDTs in all forms are essentially places to reaction post to what is happening. I'm never focused on a thread and what people are saying during a game, I'm watching the game and occasionally glancing to see if someone said a funny thing or to watch others reactions. Most complaints about the single thread in here is "moves too fast, can't follow who is reacting to what" but now with people able to tell who is reacting to what, its still mostly reaction posts.

Who actually reads GDTs? For me GDTs were always places to post our lols and see reactions when something stupid happens. But maybe that's because I tend to watch football with other people who I can talk to instead of posting and hoping someone decides to chat back.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 2, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Honestly split threads is one thing the Redzone thread going at the same time was a dumb idea from the start.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 6, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

The Dave posted:

Truly being unbiased: the split seems useful for weeks 1-3, then schedules thin out and big thread seems more manageable (so far).

Honestly that's a good point. With bye weeks now in effect and the early seasonal posters leaving the big thread won't be as bad. It would also explain why Redzone died out.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Seriously Kalli this thread is going in circles just restart the thread with the poll having no "I have no preference" option and make people choose one or the other. Those drat wishy washy posters are ruining it for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

football fuckerman posted:

I don't think a new poll will do much, I mean even if one or the other wins by a few votes it's still obvious there is split opinion

Maybe. But considering this thread is going in circles down the drain I don't see the harm in trying it out.

• Locked thread