Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
1pm Sunday, what threads do you want to see?
This poll is closed.
Separate by Network and a Redzone combined thread 216 41.62%
Go back to the one monster thread 213 41.04%
Don't care 90 17.34%
Total: 485 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Borsche69
May 8, 2014

If the people like the chaos of a single thread exploding in a volume of "omg" and "lol" at whatever thing just happened, might I suggest they use like an IRC channel instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

MonsterWalk posted:

The split threads aren't nearly as interesting/fun and I miss being able to talk to the forum as a whole.

You aren't talking to anyone in a single GDT since it moves so fast that your post gets lost in a sea of white noise.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

football fuckerman posted:

The solution when you're five pages behind is to not read any posts you missed and just type holky gently caress into the reply box to be ready for the next holky gently caress moment

If you're really lucky and cool maybe YOU can be part of the next draftday.gif!!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Perhaps I can clarify. I've always treated GDTs like a chat room -

Borsche69 posted:

If the people like the chaos of a single thread exploding in a volume of "omg" and "lol" at whatever thing just happened, might I suggest they use like an IRC channel instead.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kibner posted:

Irc doesn't support embedded gifs and videos and can't be goldmined or archived.

Whats the last GDT to be goldmined.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Probably Magic posted:

I think the speed of the megathreads is grossly exaggerated, and it's a lot more than just reaction posts which, by the way, can just be scrolled through really quickly, but whatever.

All the problems for both types of GDTs are grossly exaggerated and complete non-problems. Really split threads are just good because its easier for me to pick out the posts I want to read, aka the ones about the game I am actually watching, instead of all the bullshit posts made by lunatics about the games I do not care about in the slightest.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Silly Burrito posted:

Mods, please only make GDTs of games that I care about. Thanks so much.

This is the ideal situation that I initially suggested, with each game getting its own GDT.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Febreeze posted:

This would result in like 10 threads with maybe 7-12 posters max all just talking to each other for two pages and would be a boring pathetic waste of thread. We'd get one interesting thread where the most viewed/crazy game is happening, and a bunch of dead threads.

Good. All of the idiots won't poo poo up the good game thread with all their stupid loving posts about whatever retard team they like and are watching.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Febreeze posted:

Who actually reads GDTs?

If no one even reads GDTs, then why have GDTs. If you're just looking to post LOL or Holy poo poo, you can just say that, aloud, to yourself, while watching the game. If you want to see other people do this, you can do that at a bar, or in an IRC chatroom if you're so inclined.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

TubeStank posted:

We went to the split threads for no real reason and it's been a lovely experiment. One of the three threads has effectively died, we've had split threads that have turned into one game threads...the new system sucks rear end. The posting is the exact same as it was before.

If it's the same then why change it back.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

TubeStank posted:

That barely ever happens and only happens when something ridiculous happens in one of the games. It's not hard to scroll by a page of people saying similar things!

That didn't 'barely ever happen' lol as evidenced by the fact that just about everyone acknowledges the fact that the one GDT moves really loving fast, and that a lot of people like the one GDT for that exact reason.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

TubeStank posted:

It takes about a minute to read an entire page. It's a GDT. Slow moving GDTs are boring as gently caress and get abandoned. See: the RedZone thread.

It's not actually that hard to read two threads. It's a thread.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Your argument is that it's less convenient to read two threads [it's not, since you can easily have two tabs, even with a smartphone] than a single thread. And my argument is that the fast moving single GDT is less convenient to read because of its pace and lack of content than split threads [correct, because I am a genius]

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Thank god.

I was going to say, gently caress the circular arguments one of the split threads straight up died today we definitely have too many threads right now.

Which one died, they both made 30 pages.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Who cares about the RedZone thread. Tbh if wheez makes a One GDT for all games next sunday that's literally just going to be the same as the Red Zone thread from the last couple of weeks lol.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

This poll has been up for a month, where are all these new votes coming from.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Fat Lowtax posted:

Lots of people only click on TFF on Sundays

There's like exactly 5 new votes every day though its really weird.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

African AIDS cum posted:

Just went to take the dogs out and i'm now 300 posts behind and i'll just have to call Eddie Lacey a fat piece of trash to myself

Shout it loud and proud to everyone

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Its impossible to follow any single game with the big thread. I want to talk to people that are watching the same thing as me.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I mean yeah you can mash F5 constantly instead of watching the game, but sifting through a bunch of whitenoise to find posts about the game I'm actually watching is annoying.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

So post somewhere else then?

See, like, if you want to just spam a bunch of whitenoise LOL and Oh My God, I don't see a good reason why you can't just do that on IRC or twitter. Like those programs are specifically for that crap.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

TubeStank posted:

Huh Borsche and African AIDS Cum complaining about stupid poo poo who would have guessed.

Big threads are the way to go.

You realize that the majority currently is in favor of split threads, right?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

TubeStank posted:

And it's been bouncing back and forth for the past few weeks.

One Single GDT took the lead for the first time ever on like monday, and it held it for exactly one day.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Probably Magic posted:

Give me a single example of a post that was just LOl or Oh My God.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671437&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=82 this whole page is full of that. Yeah this is at the end of the Dolphins-Packers game, so there's not a lot of games going on then. But really its just the fact that it goes through the whole thread. Weening out the posts for the games that I am actually watching is impossible, especially if I walk away, or watch the game.

If you just wanted a post that was specifically "just LOl or Oh My God" then here's one by itself http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671437&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=84#post436158216 I mean I have no idea what your argument is. Everyone knows that these kinds of posts take up the majority of the GDTs.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Probably Magic posted:

Fine, I stand corrected, but at the same time, I don't see how the split threads did much to change that. The thread really didn't move along that fast, and the thing about white noise posts is you can just scroll through them really quickly without putting in a bunch of effort reading. I don't really see the difference between doing that for one page and doing it for two, which is about the difference I see it making.

Well, like I said, the fact that the threads moved slower, and that the content was sifted into two threads, made it easier to poke through the content-less posting and posting about other games in order to read posts about the game that you, specifically are watching. I, personally, noticed in a couple of the CBS threads actual conversations taking place (for the Ravens games). I can't speak for the threads as a whole since I barely read the FOX thread, and never paid much attention to other games in the thread (unless they were cool like the Steelers losing to the Bucs), but I felt like the slower pace made it so that people didn't think that posting was like pissing in the ocean and that they could post a contribution.

I don't have a big problem with whitenoise Lols or whatever, a thread without that probably doesn't have a lot of emotion. But right now it feels like that's all the One Big Thread is.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Dave posted:

One great thread just had a tie game can all the losers please stop posting now? We were rewarded for bringing it back.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The One Big Thread caused a tie game in the National Football League.

Ties are insanely dumb, and for praising them you must both be brutally tortured until you beg for death.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Athanatos posted:

Leave it one thread, it was good today.

You cant complain about people posting pages and pages of LOL and OMG then also complain that you cant read the thread when you take your dogs out because there are too many pages. You just said you dont want to read that anyway.

Uhh what? There are other posts I want to read. Not all posts in that thread are whitenoise, its just a ridiculously large percentage that makes it difficult to ignore when attempting to read posts that are about the game I'm watching.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

These posts do not take up a majority of the GDTs. Not even close.

I completely disagree.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Athanatos posted:

Then maybe GDTs are not for you. Aftermath threads are pretty on point and have some really good breakdowns.

I enjoyed the CBS split threads where I could talk to other Ravens posters during the game, and then also the posters of the other team that week.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

You can still do this in a megathread. The primary effect of split threads is not that it makes having localized conversations a little easier. The primary effect is that TFF becomes a cluster of 4 person conversations, and the lack of a sense of community discourages participation.

Think of it this way. If you go to a sports bar on a Saturday or Sunday, it might be a little more difficult to have conversations amongst your friends compared to watching at home, but it's still very doable. Because we don't have enough posters in TFF to support split threads, you're effectively asking everyone to stay out of the sports bar when the whole point is to experience the atmosphere and excitement of being around other fans.

So your argument is that having all your posts drowned out in a storm of posts about other games, is a sense of community? The atmosphere and excitement? Of a thread getting spammed in a forum? Are you loving kidding me?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Athanatos posted:

Been working pretty well forming the community for the past 10 years or so

V:shobon:V

No one is going to convince the other side they are right or wrong. We are just spinning our tires with the same poo poo.

Fair enough. I think all the other threads are what form the community in TFF. I mean, imagine if every thread in TFF were like GDTs, or if the only threads TFF had were GDTs. I don't think any real community would form.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Intruder posted:

Honestly, if I had noticed any additional level of discussion in the split threads I'd be a lot more on board with the idea. Instead we had three miniature slower versions of the main GDT that would have no new posts at all for minutes at a time, and then a page or two of :laffo: type reaction posts that are no higher in content than the monster thread. Easier to follow but no more content than before. GDTs are always going to be more or less "reaction" threads, also I saw earlier in the thread the suggestion that we have individual threads for each game and I just want to say hell no to that idea

Using bye weeks as a guide might be a good compromise

If there is absolutely no change in content at all, and no change in the volume of content, but easier to follow, then what's the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Qwijib0 posted:

cause you've balkanized the posters for no good reason, which is why we got rid of divisional threads.

Divisional Threads owned though. At least, the AFCN thread, which was the best and had the best posters.

• Locked thread