Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i started riding my bike to school in the fifth grade. three kilometers of ~roads~ with ~cars~ on them!!!! i had to cross, like, thirty intersections every day. how i'm still alive is just a miracle, a miracle

hell not only that but it was usually with two or three other kids who lived in the neighborhood. we'd ride in a gang and swerve all over the street and do retarded little jumps off speed bumps. i think the worst injury any of us ever sustained was when i rode into a stop sign and knocked myself out because i was riding no-hands and looking at Magic cards. my parents were like "wow that was dumb of you"

Ericadia posted:

Ah man there used to be a giant dirt lot in my neighborhood when I was growing up that was just like this. We would throw hardened chunks of mud at each other for fun and light fires in this huge hole in the ground left from a tree that fell over :allears:

we used to play in a literal abandoned limestone quarry that someone had built a park at the bottom of in the 60s. three or four of us would wander along the ravine behind the slummy part of town to find the old washing machines and tvs and stuff that people would dump there, then we'd drag them back to the quarry and roll them off the top and watch them explode at the bottom. it was great.

eventually one kid fell off and broke his arm and the city put a fence around it and everyone made fun of him forever for ruining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BONGHITZ posted:

that one has a roof so you can get into all sorts of rollover accidents and be ok

this is still enjoyable until you can no longer cram your small friend into the vehicle

the roof on that plastic thing looks like a pop-up fabric canopy with about as much structural integrity as an umbrella.

whereas with the metal model, if you want a roll cage, you just fuckin build one. teach your kid how to use a hand saw, a cordless drill and a socket wrench and give him a bunch of 2x4s and 5/8 nuts and bolts. learn him that the best things come from your own hard work and creativity, not buying what someone else did

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

Sagebrush posted:

the roof on that plastic thing looks like a pop-up fabric canopy with about as much structural integrity as an umbrella.

whereas with the metal model, if you want a roll cage, you just fuckin build one. teach your kid how to use a hand saw, a cordless drill and a socket wrench and give him a bunch of 2x4s and 5/8 nuts and bolts. learn him that the best things come from your own hard work and creativity, not buying what someone else did

gently caress it give the kid a welder a mask and say away you go little (wo)man

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

want your 2 acre yard mowed in record time? "you can't get on the computer until you cut the grass"

mexicans on zero-turns aint got poo poo on me in that situation

but can you also get the lines perfect?????? that + speed is the true test of lawn skill

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

rotor posted:

I built my kids a lil fort in the back yard and didn't get around to putting a ladder on it so they just climb up the side and they like it that way

have the kids build the ladder :unsmigghh:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Ericadia posted:

have the kids build the ladder :unsmigghh:

I ain't stoppin em

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

gently caress it give the kid a welder a mask and say away you go little (wo)man

that's the next step, once they're maybe 12 or so. welding to thin sheet metal is tricky and burning the paint off is gonna make some fumes, so better to leave that until they're somewhat older

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i just assumed this was a mtf trans tips page was i right?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

duTrieux. posted:

did this thread already talk about that adventure park place where kids just get to nail poo poo together and build zip lines and other acceptably dangerous activities
I'm not a childhaver but I totally went there as a kid it owned owned owned.

Also I was raised in a Berkeley babysitting coop that was weird enough to have a sociologist come study us and write a book about my childhood.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

Also I was raised in a Berkeley babysitting coop that was weird enough to have a sociologist come study us and write a book about my childhood.

thusly cementing a love of documentation of worthless projects

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Ruby got Railed posted:

thusly cementing a love of documentation of worthless projects
At adventure park I remember literally walking around collecting old nails so I could trade them in for a paint brush and a bucket.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I never did any of these things as I never had friends as I did not understand social situations for I post in yospos

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

ShadowHawk posted:

lol how many times have you been in the news or a study for being in weird situations

so awesome :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ShadowHawk posted:

you're going to wind up as the ubermensch or the antichrist or both of them, aren't you?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Sagebrush posted:

there are solid molded plastic versions, thats the ticket

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

ShadowHawk posted:

post the book

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

prefect posted:

you're going to wind up as the ubermensch or the antichrist or both of them, aren't you?

And lo on the seventh day the Beast ascended, and there was heard a great wailing of the righteous, and a great brazen horn was blown. And in one hand he held a changelist, for his form was a release coordinator, and men dispared at his coming.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

men trying to get men pregnant in the colon (which contains fecal matter) thread

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.amazon.com/How-Children-Succeed-Curiosity-Character/dp/0544104404 is a good book for child development

spoiler: you have to love your children, spend time with them, and let them struggle on their own

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

did you ever read the book? was it any good?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

duTrieux. posted:

did you ever read the book? was it any good?
I lent it to a sociologist friend before reading it myself and forgot its name. I need to go get it back from her. I'm not entirely sure which child I am in the book since the names are changed.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Sagebrush posted:

lol at the idea the metal radio flyer is any better. flimsy rear end metal that rusts immediately, it must be better because MY CHILDHOOD

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

ShadowHawk posted:

I lent it to a sociologist friend before reading it myself and forgot its name. I need to go get it back from her. I'm not entirely sure which child I am in the book since the names are changed.

clearly the one with aspergers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Enderzero posted:

lol at the idea the metal radio flyer is any better. flimsy rear end metal that rusts immediately, it must be better because MY CHILDHOOD

it's like 14 gauge sheet steel idiot, not "flimsy rear end", and it's enameled. yeah it would rust if you left it in th eback yard filled up with rain for the whole winter. don't treat your stuff lovely like that.

also look at the wheels, axles and suspension of the metal version vs. the new one

the metal one is objectively better

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

it's like 14 gauge sheet steel idiot, not "flimsy rear end", and it's enameled. yeah it would rust if you left it in th eback yard filled up with rain for the whole winter. don't treat your stuff lovely like that.

also look at the wheels, axles and suspension of the metal version vs. the new one

:agreed:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

yeah but which one is more expensive

because that's actually the best one

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

the cool thing about the plastic one is that you CAN treat it lovely because it's basically indestructible over the span of ~5 years

the axle is a valid point tho

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

living next to the ocean made me stop thinking of metal as a durable material

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

as long as you dont leave it in the sun and now half of it is a light pink+brittle

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

got drunk and laid down in one of the plastic ones and bent the poo poo out of one of the axels. this would never happen with metal. fuckin obama

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

reminder that people have literally had their 9 year old children placed in foster care for the crime of allowing them to play at the playground alone

this sounds like an internet untruth op

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

all that said kids def need extracurricular activities

nope

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

as long as you dont leave it in the sun and now half of it is a light pink+brittle

much like my dick

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Cold on a Cob posted:

all that said kids def need extracurricular activities

i had zero structure growing up and it shows :(

I just had a forest and some dogs and look at me now, a perfectly well adjusted adult forums poster.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

at the date posted:

I just had a forest and some dogs and look at me now, a perfectly well adjusted adult forums poster.

same

at the date posted:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
adult forums poster crew checking in

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
lol jk, i'm still in my twenties grandpa! LOL *drives away in 5th-owner honda civic*

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

same. 40 acres and a couple of sheepdogs in the middle of nowhere manitoba

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

theadder posted:

this sounds like an internet untruth op

http://wgntv.com/2014/07/29/mother-arrested-for-letting-son-walk-to-park-alone/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

teen bear posted:

same. 40 acres and a couple of sheepdogs in the middle of nowhere manitoba

i started off on a couple acres of hobby farm/forest in comox bc, the moved on to jungle in micronesia, then hawaii, then rain soak muskeg in prince rupert bc the cloudiest city on the continent (measured by least hours of unobscured sunlight per year)

• Locked thread