Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Everyones always worried about energy and the environment, if all the businesses had solar panels all over them wouldnt that help with everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'm almost certain this is some kind of troll post, but the short answer is:

Solar panels on building don't really generate enough power to offset the cost of them for the most part. You can basically run the lights, but any high power stuff, like the A/C system is still going to need to be run off the grid.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Lord Waffle Beard again with the wisdom

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm almost certain this is some kind of troll post, but the short answer is:

Solar panels on building don't really generate enough power to offset the cost of them for the most part. You can basically run the lights, but any high power stuff, like the A/C system is still going to need to be run off the grid.

Over enough time you would offset the cost of them, and you would also help save the environment which is more important.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
This wouldn't work in LA because buildings over a certain height are required to have helipads. Mandating a fission nuclear reactor in the basement of all buildings would, however, and would be far less unsightly.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

SKELETONS posted:

This wouldn't work in LA because buildings over a certain height are required to have helipads. Mandating a fission nuclear reactor in the basement of all buildings would, however, and would be far less unsightly.

Whoa now, I don't want no god drat atoms in my city, power's gotta be safe ya know?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
what if, instead of sidewalks, all walkways were replaced with reverse-treadmills? Conveyor belts, that when people walk on, they spin a turbine which makes the power build up in batterys we supply to the grid? just a thought
-roadtose

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Hybrid cars are stupid, they still burn gas. They should put a wind turbine on top of the cars so they can charge with the wind as they drive instead that way they could drive on battery all the time.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Wheeee posted:

Hybrid cars are stupid, they still burn gas. They should put a wind turbine on top of the cars so they can charge with the wind as they drive instead that way they could drive on battery all the time.

Pavements are stupid and absorb heat that would otherwise be reflected. Canals, OTOH, absorb solar radiation and convert it into CO2-devouring plankton. We must eliminate this menace of pavement and replace it with canals filled with standing water posthaste. The future of our climate depends upon it.

E: Realanswer, far better to mandate a minimum % of power be generated by renewable means for power companies within the state. Does it matter if they choose solar or nuclear to do so?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 17, 2014

Dancer
May 23, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Pavements are stupid and absorb heat that would otherwise be reflected. Canals, OTOH, absorb solar radiation and convert it into CO2-devouring plankton. We must eliminate this menace of pavement and replace it with canals filled with standing water posthaste. The future of our climate depends upon it.

E: Realanswer, far better to mandate a minimum % of power be generated by renewable means for power companies within the state. Does it matter if they choose solar or nuclear to do so?

As cool as nuclear may be, it's not renewable.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Dancer posted:

Neither is solar. :smug:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

We should install those conveyor-belt turbines at airports, so our heavy-lifting airplanes can help generate power while they take off

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Aliquid posted:

We should install those conveyor-belt turbines at airports, so our heavy-lifting airplanes can help generate power while they take off

I believe we call those 'catapults'

In which case, yes, I am in favor of more catapults as a generalized policy position

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Everyones always worried about energy and the environment, if all the businesses had solar panels all over them wouldnt that help with everything?

It's like trying to piss out a wildfire

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

Dancer posted:

yes it is, you just fuse the atoms back together after you fission them. ez

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
I'm not quite sure why no one is offering anything useful in this thread yet, but this idea seems viable. The notion that solar panels require more energy to produce than they deliver over the course of their lifetime is no longer true, and their purchase cost is no longer prohibitive. Obviously, location is a factor, but you could legislate for that - factor in yearly sun-hours, and environment obstruction. I can't imagine why this would not be cost- and energy effective all over the southwest, for example.

You would need to put into place a maintenance program, since solar panels lose efficiency with partial obstruction (bird poo poo etc) but that hardly seems prohibitive.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dancer posted:

You can find the fuel in space, which can't be said for coal or oil.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

You can find the fuel in space, which can't be said for coal or oil.
Good luck pulling that uranium out of Uranus.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Nice to see the new Energy Gen thread picking up right off where it left off.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Whose going to pay for it? Right now investors will sell their grandmother for a nickel today even if the going rate on grandmothers will be 10 dollars next month and legislatures currently have heated discussions about not letting children go hungry.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Neither is solar. :smug:

Solar is way worse for the environment than Nuclear too

You know what, gently caress it, let's just keep burning fossil fuels

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Well, on the upside, once all those useless old and poor people die we can burn their bodies as biofuel. Its a win/win for everyone.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Recently a member of the public asked at a Town Hall meeting why the new high school wasn't going to have solar panels built into it. This school is near Seattle.

The school superintendent just kinda stared at him with the microphone in hand. Before slowly saying "...It's something we looked into and it's not economically feasible."

Thanks for listening.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
why can't we just do that thing that the machines did in the matrix

but to like criminals or something

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why can't we just do that thing that the machines did in the matrix

but to like criminals or something

...murder and organ reclamation? :raise:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...murder and organ reclamation? :raise:
I want to live in a government subsidized goo pod.

When you think about it the matrix robots were pretty chill. Nice pods, free broadband, and all the goo you could digest.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

ma i married a tuna posted:

I'm not quite sure why no one is offering anything useful in this thread yet, but this idea seems viable. The notion that solar panels require more energy to produce than they deliver over the course of their lifetime is no longer true, and their purchase cost is no longer prohibitive. Obviously, location is a factor, but you could legislate for that - factor in yearly sun-hours, and environment obstruction. I can't imagine why this would not be cost- and energy effective all over the southwest, for example.

You would need to put into place a maintenance program, since solar panels lose efficiency with partial obstruction (bird poo poo etc) but that hardly seems prohibitive.

Why not have an intelligent energy policy instead of a retarded building code if you want to promote solar? There's plenty of places other than roofs to put panels.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Over enough time you would offset the cost of them, and you would also help save the environment which is more important.

not really with the costs of maintenance and replacement

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Dancer posted:

no, but if thorium ever gets off the ground (a big if) it's plentiful enough that it might as well be

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SKELETONS posted:

This wouldn't work in LA because buildings over a certain height are required to have helipads.
i'm beleivin this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU
I like this better. We pour loving tar and oil all over the surface of the earth and water runs off of it, carrying that poo poo into waterways. Replace as many roads and parking lots with these things. And hopefully they build it like a network, so that if any part gets severed it can still provide power locally to its connected nodes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KoRMaK posted:

i'm beleivin this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU
I like this better. We pour loving tar and oil all over the surface of the earth and water runs off of it, carrying that poo poo into waterways. Replace as many roads and parking lots with these things. And hopefully they build it like a network, so that if any part gets severed it can still provide power locally to its connected nodes.

This is actually the only idea dumber than putting solar panels in Seattle.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

computer parts posted:

This is actually the only idea dumber than putting solar panels in Seattle.
drat

tell me why

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KoRMaK posted:

drat

tell me why

It's expensive, there's still power loss, and if it actually melts snow in the winter it's just going to refreeze and you have a bigger safety hazard than before. Among other things.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There's basically a million reasons why they aren't really that great in practice but it mostly comes down to the fact that anywhere the power is most needed they are gonna be shadowed by cars pretty much most of the time.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

computer parts posted:

It's expensive, there's still power loss, and if it actually melts snow in the winter it's just going to refreeze and you have a bigger safety hazard than before. Among other things.
I would think that it would continuously apply heat to keep it above freezing, so refreeze wouldn't happen.

Nevvy Z posted:

There's basically a million reasons why they aren't really that great in practice but it mostly comes down to the fact that anywhere the power is most needed they are gonna be shadowed by cars pretty much most of the time.
Thats a good point, but it would seem that the asphalt of busy freeways get pretty hot even during rush hour, meaning that they are absorbing a lot of sunlight. Or is that from the friction with tires rolling over them?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

KoRMaK posted:

I would think that it would continuously apply heat to keep it above freezing, so refreeze wouldn't happen.

How environmental does it sound to "continuously apply heat" to the highway system.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

KoRMaK posted:

drat

tell me why
We barely manage to put up solar panel farms in the desert and we are closing safe, green and reliable nuclear power plants. This is pure fantasy.

down with slavery posted:

How environmental does it sound to "continuously apply heat" to the highway system.
Probably more than "continuously pump out kajillions of tons of greenhouse gases until the earth enters a run away green house effect and we all die", to be fair.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

cheese posted:

Probably more than "continuously pump out kajillions of tons of greenhouse gases until the earth enters a run away green house effect and we all die", to be fair.

Actually probably just the same because solar roadways assume we're still using cars by the metric fuckton, which means the fossil fuel is getting burned anyways.

It's not a question of "continue to burn fossil fuels at the current rate" or "solar roadways" both of them are monumentally stupid ideas that do more harm than good.

There are plenty of reasonable ways to move forward if we wanted to (spoiler alert, the government doesn't want to and won't)- http://www.ted.com/talks/james_hansen_why_i_must_speak_out_about_climate_change see here for an incredibly easy one that makes about 1000000x more sense.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

down with slavery posted:

Actually probably just the same because solar roadways assume we're still using cars by the metric fuckton, which means the fossil fuel is getting burned anyways.

It's not a question of "continue to burn fossil fuels at the current rate" or "solar roadways" both of them are monumentally stupid ideas that do more harm than good.

There are plenty of reasonable ways to move forward if we wanted to (spoiler alert, the government doesn't want to and won't)- http://www.ted.com/talks/james_hansen_why_i_must_speak_out_about_climate_change see here for an incredibly easy one that makes about 1000000x more sense.

I totally agree, I'm just not sure if continuously applying a small amount of head on roads during the winter to keep ice from forming is an environmental issue of any note. Struggling to think of what the negative consequences could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dancer posted:

The available fuel supply for nuclear power is so huge as to be functionally infinite.

Even without reprocessing or transitioning to non-uranium fuel sources the available supply of uranium at commercially viable prices is incredibly huge. We're talking about even the most conservative estimates being several hundred to several thousand years. The more reasonable ones are in the range of longer than the entire run of human civilization to date.

cheese posted:

Struggling to think of what the negative consequences could be.
Absolutely massive power consumption? There's somewhere around 3-500,000 square kilometers of road surface in America if you only count highways. How much energy would it take to heat all of that in the winter?

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 18, 2014

• Locked thread