Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

They announced with quite a bit of fanfare that we are 100% off grid. They have 100 acres of solar panels and 45 windmills (it's super windy here). I know they have a storage facility underground somewhere on campus, but I don't know where or what method they use. Our campus is 900 acres and 85% empty so I haven't exactly gone exploring for a big pit full of batteries.

I can pretty much guarantee you're not actually "off the grid" in the sense that you are actually isolated from it. That would just be stupid, since no setup ever generates exactly as much energy it needs, even with good energy storage means. I'm certain they mean that the net power you draw from the grid is zero, or negative. That's great, but you're not "off the grid." There is literally no good reason to be "off the grid," so that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread