Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Dancer posted:

As cool as nuclear may be, it's not renewable.

Neither is solar. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

KoRMaK posted:

It would really be bad if in my lifetime I had to abandon my nearest biggest city and all the infrastructure

Good news, this can't happen with most modern reactors. Bad news, we're not really using those modern reactors, nuclear power is :airquote:unsafe:airquote:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Caros posted:

And can you explain why, oh shitter of threads, that you think nuclear power is in fact not good?

Um he just said that nuclear power is bad b/c you're a goon what's so hard to understand.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Nessus posted:

A lot of dangerous nuclear waste will be very dangerous for a long time.

As extremely poisonous heavy metals, yes. Anything highly radioactive will stop being highly radioactive very quickly because it's highly radioactive.

Nessus posted:

There are steps that can reduce that risk, some of which involve "using it as fuel again" since the radioactive poo poo actually makes good reactor fuel. It involves a lot of plutonium which people could extract for nuclear bombs, however, which evidently presents a fundamental risk of some kind, possibly in case someone decides to steal it? I was never clear on this, but "proliferation risk" is usually cited when that factoid comes up.

Making a plutonium-based bomb takes a lot of effort and would probably cause less panic than stealing some medical isotopes and setting off a couple of dirty bombs. You don't really see anyone panicking about that because Tom Clancy's never wrote a book about it.

Anyone capable of making a Pu bomb already has the capacity to manufacture all the Pu they will ever need.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Bedshaped posted:

Nuclear fission in it's current form is:
  • Non renewable
  • Producing hazardous waste products
  • Possessing the possibility that lack of maintenance/modernized systems/human error can cause a catastrophically environment changing meltdown

You are wrong and probably vote Green.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

MizPiz posted:

Though I'm loving that nuclear is the only option for this forum because it's the easiest.

No, it's the only viable option for baseline production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Wheeee posted:

Thorium reactors still have engineering hurdles that need to be resolved to bring power plants online, that poo poo's corrosive as hell.

Is it somehow magically more corrosive than all the other ridiculously corrosive chemicals used on a daily basis in the production of pretty much everything?

• Locked thread