Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Solar panels won't work everywhere, but more places could implement it. My company is pushing near to 10k employees in a single campus of 20 buildings and the entire campus now runs 100% off grid between our solar farm, windmills, and geothermal heat. Different areas are more feasible for different types of renewables and companies could definitely be encouraged to do more to select technologies that are suitable for their area.

Offer like a fixed %off tax credit or something for percentage of power going to your building from renewables. That'll get companies putting it in much faster than trying to push some sort of rigid building code. Plus, governments love handing out tax credits to corporations so it's something that could feasibly be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ma i married a tuna posted:

That's really the sort of thing I meant earlier too. Do you have any information on cost, specifically, investment vs savings?

Of course, location is a huge factor, but I would venture a guess and say that every Wal-Mart in Arizona, for example, could do this and save money.

Unfortunately, I'm not privy to financial particulars. Big companies don't like to share that info with employees usually. I can say, however, that all of the equipment was paid for and installed with straight cash. Our CEO is a bit eccentric and doesn't believe in borrowing money for anything. All the equipment to take everything off-grid was doable within the profit margin of the company, and we're definitely not anywhere close to fortune 500 status or anything.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Arkane posted:

I'm kinda doubting your company runs off the grid...that would be costly. How are y'all storing energy and how do you meet peak energy demand? More than likely you are just generating your own energy usage, and push/pull from the grid without much net costs.

They announced with quite a bit of fanfare that we are 100% off grid. They have 100 acres of solar panels and 45 windmills (it's super windy here). I know they have a storage facility underground somewhere on campus, but I don't know where or what method they use. Our campus is 900 acres and 85% empty so I haven't exactly gone exploring for a big pit full of batteries.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I can pretty much guarantee you're not actually "off the grid" in the sense that you are actually isolated from it. That would just be stupid, since no setup ever generates exactly as much energy it needs, even with good energy storage means. I'm certain they mean that the net power you draw from the grid is zero, or negative. That's great, but you're not "off the grid." There is literally no good reason to be "off the grid," so that's fine.

You could definitely be right, but as I said before, our CEO is pretty eccentric. She makes a big deal about people using imprecise language (she gets mad about the hyperbolic "literally" and saying "less" when you mean "fewer" and so on), so it would surprise me if her announcement had such an imprecise statement in it. I suppose it's possible she doesn't understand the technology and just repeated what the various contractors told her. Suffice it to say at least that our organization no longer pays a power bill at all.

• Locked thread