Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've seen places that try to do the math on how much coal/oil/gas has been found, how much has been burned, how many ppm that translated to, and how many degrees C that translates to, and how many meters sea rise that translates to

but

has anyone taken those 'yet to be burned' reserves and backed out the math on exactly how badly we'd bankrupt the big energy companies? like X (hundred?) billions? and therefore y (hundreds of) thousand jobs etc

and then go the next notch, all the index funds and pension funds and 401k/ira funds that would tank

I think if anyone actually did the math it would come out to like 2 - 10x worse than the financial crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Senor P. posted:

You're assuming the big oil companies stay in the same business. I would not be surprised if they make a switch to other industries.

this is hand waiving sillyness

proven reserves are baked into the balance sheet and therefore market cap of all of these companies. to be told they can't use those reserves anymore means (tr?)billions of dollars have to evaporate.

edit: 1.6 trillion barrels http://www.eia.gov/cfapps/ipdbproject/IEDIndex3.cfm?tid=5&pid=57&aid=6

edit2: http://news.exxonmobil.com/press-release/exxon-mobil-corporation-announces-2013-reserves-replacement-totaled-103-percent
exxon has 13B of just oil, at $100/bbl thats $1.3T. their market cap is $440B: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=XOM

and thats just one oil company, not counting gas, and no coal

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 21, 2014

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

No sane person is talking about banning oil usage, the stuff is just too useful and there are uses for it that renewables are ill-suited for - like making plastic. The point is to stop using it for poo poo we don't need it for (so that we can stretch supplies longer on the stuff we still do need to use oil for) and to stop burning it since that's way shittier for the environment than, say, using it to manufacture plastic.

paineframe i vaguely recall your screen name as not-a-moron but what you just posted here is some seriously dumb poo poo

lets run down the list
- "no sane person is talking about banning oil usage"
yes you are right no one but you brought that up. i was very specific, formulaic even, in how much I was talking about limiting it. try re-reading the part about ppm-> degrees C-> meters

- "useful for plastic"
plastic is an absurdly tiny part of what oil & gas get used for and has nothing to do with coal. therefore it is overall completely loving irrelevant. even if it was the only thing left companies could do with oil that would support a $1/bbl price not a $100/bbl so they'd all go bankrupt anyway. but mostly i'm sorry for participating in this dumb tangent.

- "the point is blah blah blah"
no that's not the point that's happytalk nonsense, the "point" is to avoid catastrophic feedback loops from rapid warming by keeping ppm well below 400. you can't bitch about the other side being anti-science when you refuse to grasp the basic numbers at hand.

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 22, 2014

• Locked thread