Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...murder and organ reclamation? :raise:
I want to live in a government subsidized goo pod.

When you think about it the matrix robots were pretty chill. Nice pods, free broadband, and all the goo you could digest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dancer posted:

As cool as nuclear may be, it's not renewable.
The available fuel supply for nuclear power is so huge as to be functionally infinite.

Even without reprocessing or transitioning to non-uranium fuel sources the available supply of uranium at commercially viable prices is incredibly huge. We're talking about even the most conservative estimates being several hundred to several thousand years. The more reasonable ones are in the range of longer than the entire run of human civilization to date.

cheese posted:

Struggling to think of what the negative consequences could be.
Absolutely massive power consumption? There's somewhere around 3-500,000 square kilometers of road surface in America if you only count highways. How much energy would it take to heat all of that in the winter?

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 18, 2014

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

I don't really consider them green. When something goes wrong, it goes colossally wrong and stays there for a long time. Longer than oil accidents.
They are really green though because for the most part nature doesn't give a gently caress about radiation. Seriously, you can irradiate the holy hell out of most plants and animals before they give a gently caress. See the former site of the Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory where the USAF literally bathed a forest in radiation to see what would happen. It is probably the single most heavily irradiated site on Earth, and now it's a state park.

The worst nuclear disaster in history killed 62 people and now it's a nature preserve.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

Then what the gently caress have I been worrying about this whole time. How long does an area remain unsafe after a meltdown? So if this is true, why isn't Chernobyl cleaned up and inhabited? Or is it because it's only like 30-40 years old, and in another 20 it will be fine?

Still though, 30-40 years is most of a lifetime. It would really be bad if in my lifetime I had to abandon my nearest biggest city and all the infrastructure.

I guess I might be conflating nuclear bomb explosion, nuclear fallout, and a nuclear power station meltdown. Does the one that takes 2000 years give off enough radiation to make you sick and mess up your reproductive mechanisms?

There are risk levels. You pick what's an acceptable risk and work from there.

For example, Chernobyl was an active nuclear generating station until only a few years ago. People worked there every day. People still work there to monitor the site, do research, and maintain the environmental defenses around the most polluted areas. This is all perfectly safe because they take precautions to monitor their radiation doses and avoid areas where they know radioactive materials can collect and produce dangerous levels of radioactivity. However, it'd be a lovely idea to build a kindegarten anywhere nearby because children love to eat dirt, and eating dirt in Pripyat would be a very bad thing to do.

Another example is Bikini Atoll. Perfectly safe to live there, bad idea to eat the local flora. The US nuked the poo poo out of it a whole bunch of times and certain plants have a tendency to suck nasty isotopes out of the ground and concentrate them to dangerous levels.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

Ok, so to me that makes the whole area generally un-livable.
Pretty much. It was a big industrial disaster and besides radiation threats there are a ton of really hosed up chemical contaminants all over the place. The Soviets were really bad about both chemical and radiological contamination. Large bits of the former USSR are seriously bad news due to negligent handling of all kinds of horrible industrial chemicals, and improper disposal of chemical and biological weapons.

The sort of thing you have to remember is that not all accidents are equal.

At Chernobyl the Soviets pretty much had a giant nuclear bomb factory burn to the ground in a totally uncontrolled shitstorm. Their reaction was a pretty minimal evacuation that came very late in the game. The result was a lot of preventable exposure that lead to fewer than 100 deaths.

Fukushima on the other hand was a generating station that got obliterated when the ocean decided to come visit. Because the Japanese aren't totally insane and actually build safe plants it didn't go totally tits-up immediately. A few design flaws allowed some of the reactors to get out of control before they could be fully shut down and they destroyed themselves and breached containment. The Japanese government reacted with an abundance of caution and evacuated a HUGE zone. The result was a lot of people displaced, no serious exposures to the public, and some mildly radioactive fish.

Three Mile Island went all wonky and melted down but because it was a safe design, and not under a mountain of water or on fire, its containment system worked as intended. The result was no danger to anyone, and a very expensive remediation process.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

crabcakes66 posted:

Continuing to run older less safe reactors beyond their original service life instead of building new efficient and incredibly safe reactors makes tons of sense when you think about it. :bang:
It's something hippies and coal barons agree on so it can't possibly be a bad idea.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

MizPiz posted:

Economically, it makes more sense to use an energy source that doesn't create dangerous waste that needs to be securely housed for thousands of years.
Production of PV solar systems produces dangerous waste that will remain dangerous indefinitely.

Many industrial processes produce dangerous waste. For some reason nuclear fission just breaks people's brains when it comes to waste management.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

down with slavery posted:

Regardless, a carbon tax will raise the price of burning fossil fuels, which we desperately need to do.
Don't worry citizen! Your electricity costs may go up but your energy provider, through a series of shrewd campaign contributions and the efforts of dozens of very expensive lawyers, has managed to be classified as a 9-speed bicycle for tax purposes and is thus safe from the fury of Big Government.

All increasing the price of burning fossil fuels will do is gently caress the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Unless the carbon tax is redistributed per capita directly to the population :)
This will happen shortly after Kanye is elected King of America I imagine.

"All legislation will gently caress the poor" might honestly be accurate, but I mean, where does that leave us? No legislation fucks the poor, politically viable legislation fucks the poor, no win situation there.
If we're in "redistribute carbon taxes to the poor" fantasyland we may as well just wish for nationalized energy production.

• Locked thread