Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
According to the American Road and Transport Builders Association, milling and resurfacing a four lane road costs approximately $1.25 million dollars/mile, and that's just for labour, materials, etc. There are approximately four million miles of road in the USA, so (and I'm vastly oversimplifying here) simply renovating the public highways would cost $5e+12.

I am going to guess that solar panels are slightly more expensive then 1.25 million dollars/mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

KoRMaK posted:

So it doesn't last for 1000 years or some nearly eternal bullshit amount of time?

Law of conservation of energy. Emitting radiation is emitting energy: the more intensely it releases it, the shorter the half life. Radioactive material which is emitting energy for thousands of years does so quite slowly; the dangerous stuff eats itself up in a few years.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Making a plutonium-based bomb takes a lot of effort and would probably cause less panic than stealing some medical isotopes and setting off a couple of dirty bombs. You don't really see anyone panicking about that because Tom Clancy's never wrote a book about it.

A plutonium bomb (and my information is a few years old so if I'm talking poo poo please correct me) would be an implosion type warhead. Plutonium only goes critical if it's compressed quite severely with a number of simultaneous explosive charges, and the timing being off by even the slightest amount would radically reduce effectiveness, if not completely fail to detonate. Plutonium is relatively easy to acquire, but the technology to make a bomb is "space is hard" complex. To contrast, you could probably make a gun type warhead using weaponized uranium using two cannons and a chunk of uranium 235, the compression requirements are much less strict. However, refining weaponized uranium is "space is hard" complex. Most of the Manhattan Project was just producing uranium 235, and we only wound up with enough for one weapon (fun fact: Hiroshima was a live beta).

I highly recommend this lecture, Physics for Future Presidents if you would like to learn more about the mechanics of nuclear warheads.

• Locked thread