Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

StabbinHobo posted:

i've seen places that try to do the math on how much coal/oil/gas has been found, how much has been burned, how many ppm that translated to, and how many degrees C that translates to, and how many meters sea rise that translates to

but

has anyone taken those 'yet to be burned' reserves and backed out the math on exactly how badly we'd bankrupt the big energy companies? like X (hundred?) billions? and therefore y (hundreds of) thousand jobs etc

and then go the next notch, all the index funds and pension funds and 401k/ira funds that would tank

I think if anyone actually did the math it would come out to like 2 - 10x worse than the financial crisis

You're assuming the big oil companies stay in the same business. I would not be surprised if they make a switch to other industries.

Saudi Aramco (which isn't the best example compared to Exxon, BP, or the other private companies.) Is increasingly branching out. I would not be surprised as resource extraction declines the big private and state owned oil companies turn into power generation and water purification conglomerates.

Water will continue to be an issue as more and more locales have longer and longer droughts. You can use a desalination plant or on a small scale pull it out of the air.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread