Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Like one that attacked the party and then started running away in fear when he was the only one left alive.

Relevant to winning an argument with my DM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Goblins are classed as evil creatures, so it is always good and just to kill them, under any circumstance.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Even if the circumstance is begging for its life?

These, and more hard moral quandaries, wrack my brain at night!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Goblins are not beyond redemption

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
There's no quandry here friend, by the DnD alignment system, goblin is evil thus anything it does is evil, even evilly begging for its life, not killing it would make you a "fallen paladin" according to the rules, as you would have allowed evil when you could stop it.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Buschmaki posted:

There's no quandry here friend, by the DnD alignment system, goblin is evil thus anything it does is evil, even evilly begging for its life, not killing it would make you a "fallen paladin" according to the rules, as you would have allowed evil when you could stop it.

"I can kill this creature in any circumstance at all because of its belief system" seems evil

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

QuantumNinja posted:

"I can kill this creature in any circumstance at all because of its belief system" seems evil

welcome to the Lawful alignment

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i liked the 5 alignment system in 4th edition

who cares about the difference between neutral vs. chaotic good or lawful vs. neutral evil

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

So the Law says I have to kill goblins, even good ones, even deserving ones, and so I kill them all? The kids, everything? Because

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 17, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

What if I told the gobbos I wouldn't kill them if they left before the fight?

Soral
May 30, 2009

the lawful alignment is your ticket to murdering whoever you want so long as you can kind of explain why after you do the deed

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Bahamut will know his own.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
" he is very compassionate, and has boundless empathy for the weak and downtrodden. He urges his followers to promote good, but to let people fight their own battles when they can, providing healing, information, or temporary safe refuge rather than fighting alongside those who can fight for themselves."

As a good paladin, murder him. As a follower of Bahamut, show mercy.

Unless he can be linked to Tiamat, then toture him for information then flay him alive as example.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
"would" in the descriptive sense? of course they would because this is D&D and it's a stupid game (that i like a lot)

"would" in the prescriptive sense? even though Bahamut is a chump i doubt he would approve of this bullshit

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What are you going to do? Send it to jail? Nobody wants to feed an imprisoned goblin. So either you commit to babysitting this goblin for the rest of its life to make sure it doesn't murder anyone, or you let it go and all the hosed up rape and murder it commits are on you.

Choice is simple op.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

QuantumNinja posted:

Like one that attacked the party and then started running away in fear when he was the only one left alive.

Relevant to winning an argument with my DM.

you should always squash as many goblins as you can get your hands on, they multiply crazy fast and have like, litters of eggsacks or something

the're vermin op

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I remember some cool pathfinder subclass or prestige or whatever where you could place basically good hexes on bad creatures. Like "no fighting" and it'd magically be prevented from fighting and raping for like 4 months.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

you can just tell the clerics that he grabbed for your sword, OP

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I play videogames for the sole purpose of exploring the ~*human condition*~ through tough moral decisions like this one OP.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Roctavian posted:

you can just tell the clerics that he grabbed for your sword, OP

Hands up, don't smite

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

i liked the 5 alignment system in 4th edition

who cares about the difference between neutral vs. chaotic good or lawful vs. neutral evil

I loving care. I'm sure tons (literally) of other greasy nerds do too.

Chaotic good and lawful evil were great and I feel that they stripped it down to make 4E arbitrarily different. It's a petty complaint but dammit I want my Robin Hood alignments back.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

metricchip posted:

I loving care. I'm sure tons (literally) of other greasy nerds do too.

Chaotic good and lawful evil were great and I feel that they stripped it down to make 4E arbitrarily different. It's a petty complaint but dammit I want my Robin Hood alignments back.

Agreed. Lawful Evil is the bomb. I led a group of goods as a LE anti-paladin (with GMs approval since it's technically a CE only) and it was the most fun role playing ever.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Just like, play your character how your character would be like, be? I don't get why you need all this alignment on a sheet BS when the real essence of table-top gaming is unlocked through our minds.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
In Imagination.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

Just like, play your character how your character would be like, be? I don't get why you need all this alignment on a sheet BS when the real essence of table-top gaming is unlocked through our minds.

Because the rules of the game are like physics. Without gm home rules the phb is the laws of physics. If he makes the wrong choice, he loses his class powers.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
im playing a lawful evil necromancer in a Tyranny of Dragons game and i would argue that he is more moral than a paladin because he isn't going to just murder fools because of racism and also he goes out of his way to spare the life of dragon cultists because they don't know any better (and are also potential future minions)

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

Nasgate posted:

Agreed. Lawful Evil is the bomb. I led a group of goods as a LE anti-paladin (with GMs approval since it's technically a CE only) and it was the most fun role playing ever.

Grim posted:

im playing a lawful evil necromancer in a Tyranny of Dragons game and i would argue that he is more moral than a paladin because he isn't going to just murder fools because of racism and also he goes out of his way to spare the life of dragon cultists because they don't know any better (and are also potential future minions)

Lawful evil rules for both dick PCs and dick bad guys.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvkvcZxl9U0

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014
fleeing isn't in itself a moral action. why did the goblin flee? was it just because you might kill it? if so, it's loving evil and trying to save its rear end.

kill that fucker

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Kellsterik posted:

Bahamut will know his own.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

you should get the magic item that gives you a team of white house lawyers in your head to morally sign off on any questionable stuff you do, in future.

we smote some folks

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

There's no law saying you can't kill a goblin.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

if the goblin is actually surrendering peacefully the paladin has to make the effort to not immediately murder it - he might take it to trial and righteously sentence it to death for being a goblin in the first degree tho

if it just runs away he might, at most, have to throw down a "CEASE THINE RESISTANCE! CEASE THINE RESISTANCE!" while he chops it in half

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I believe the latest Dungeons and Dragons movie: Dungeons and Dragons 3: The Book of Vile Darkness deals with similar ethical questions.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I recommend studying thunts paladin, op

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

i too believe in moral absolutism op

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
lmao if you aren't playing a LG paladin as judge dredd, only way to make the archetype interesting

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Oh i just noticed that its bahamut, he's the peace love and understanding type of LG right

I recommend your DM have clerics of bahamut witness your terrible slayings and drum you out so you can go to a more hardcore LG god like this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heironeous

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

zen death robot posted:

I just made one, only kill if you are in immediate danger

Please update the imp zone rules thread accordingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
To clarify, I let a goblin go after trying to intimidate them into running away. Two attacked us, we killed one, and the other started running. I stopped my party from pursuing him, since he was obviously bloodied and scared.

Now my DM is all "bro you gotta change your god a LG paladin of Bahamut would meet let a goblin survive"

• Locked thread