Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zombie Squared posted:

What's the difference between lawful good and chaotic neutral???

About two martinis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT

Zombie Squared posted:

What's the difference between lawful good and chaotic neutral???

About one fleeing goblin!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Killing goblins, like killing viruses, is a Lawful and Good act.

Letting it live when you could cauterize it supports chaos and evil.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

The Protagonist posted:

Now just replace the word "goblins" with any non-white human race you'd like and go ahead and move to Mississippi.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Goblins aren't people. They're closer to gremlins. Was it wrong to genocide the gremlins?

Yeah thought not.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Protagonist posted:

But viruses aren't alive.

Are you saying goblins are undead?

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Would you become a fallen paladin if you slew a fleeing skeleton?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Yeah, I think killing fleeing skeletons is totally fine, because they're abominations unto the Platinum Dragon god. They don't feel, they can't repent, they're dumb shambling bones.

Goblins, on the other hand, might have thriving villages.

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
im sick of this undead erasure, as an intelligent undead, you and your bodily warmth disgusts me

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

metricchip posted:

I loving care. I'm sure tons (literally) of other greasy nerds do too.

Chaotic good and lawful evil were great and I feel that they stripped it down to make 4E arbitrarily different. It's a petty complaint but dammit I want my Robin Hood alignments back.

Except they still exist dude, play whateva you want, 4th was just about getting rid of bulshit "for story reasons I'm forcing the paladin to fall b/c I just made an impossible moral situation enjoy being a shittier fighter, scrub"

the 5 alignment thing like most of the good stuff from 4th that got ditched was to get rid of stupid bullshit nerd arguments and arbitrary player punishment

Also this is the correct answer:

Bleu posted:

if the goblin is actually surrendering peacefully the paladin has to make the effort to not immediately murder it - he might take it to trial and righteously sentence it to death for being a goblin in the first degree tho

if it just runs away he might, at most, have to throw down a "CEASE THINE RESISTANCE! CEASE THINE RESISTANCE!" while he chops it in half

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

is it a black goblin, op? or a jew goblin

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Actually in a well functioning group this will be discussed and a fun end reached for all regardless of rules and deferring to good role play

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Widestancer posted:

Actually in a well functioning group this will be discussed and a fun end reached for all regardless of rules and deferring to good role play

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

nihnoz is right

hosed up but true

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Widestancer posted:

lol like a well functioning group is still playing d&d or pathfinder

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Listen, if you aren't down for a little racial cleansing, you aren't fit to be a servant of the god Bahamut and maybe you should worship some other lame god like :lol: Corellon.

Dec 26, 2012

alignment, at least the 3x3 kind, is loving awful

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i don't know why everyone keeps throwing around the word race when goblins are clearly a species about as worthy of concern as rats

some people do have pet rats though so maybe thats an option

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

Listen, if you aren't down for a little racial cleansing, you aren't fit to be a servant of the god Bahamut and maybe you should worship some other lame god like :lol: Corellon.

of course my man sunandspring comes in and drops some knowledge on everyone.

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

pretty sure Corellon is down for killing all non-elves

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Widestancer posted:

This fun end will undoubtedly involve slavery followed by applied taxidermy.

Dec 26, 2012

Widestancer posted:

a well functioning group

yeah let me know when you find sasquatch too

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Corellon would totally genocide the drow, have fun being a racist you racist

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

can someone make a ferretball-esque post saying when a lg paladin can rape someone

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Coolness Averted posted:

lol like a well functioning group is still playing d&d or pathfinder

I tried to play pathfinder once. After we killed the boss, two guys got into a huge argument about hit points per inch of a stone wall and then spent 20+minutes rolling for exciting loot like: tables, chairs, some rugs, a wardrobe and basically every piece of furniture in the castle.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
When rules layering and arguing over alignment, its important to remember the nature of Order/Chaos. You can have two completely different entities put in the same situation and end up with the same result but for completely different reasons.

For Chaotic a individual, its all about the feeling, the whim of the moment. If a goblin pops out a Chaotic character would say, "I FELT threatened so I took out my wand of FUCKYOU and imploded their organs."

For a Lawful individual, its all about the reasoning, the justification is whats of merit. In the same situation, a lawful character might say, "I could not ALLOW myself to come to harm, thus I summoned the meteors."

I hope this helps.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

BlueDestiny posted:

I tried to play pathfinder once. After we killed the boss, two guys got into a huge argument about hit points per inch of a stone wall and then spent 20+minutes rolling for exciting loot like: tables, chairs, some rugs, a wardrobe and basically every piece of furniture in the castle.

You should get stat boosts for decking out your home base with furniture.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I finally loving did it. I fixed pathfinder. It was so obvious.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

I finally loving did it. I fixed pathfinder. It was so obvious.

i'll fix your face with a claw hammer

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Responding will only encourage me.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I'm only doing it for the attention.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Nihnoz posted:

I'm only doing it for the attention.

I honestly believe this.

However, like bonzibuddy, that won't stop me doing it anyway.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
law is for bitchmade fascists and americans

chaos is for dumbshit byronic heroes and motorhead fans

my suggestion: play moonglum

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Nihnoz posted:

You should get stat boosts for decking out your home base with furniture.

that sounds fun

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

what is wrong with motorhead you hipster PoS

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

what is wrong with motorhead you hipster PoS

i didn't say anything bad about motorhead

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Mach2 posted:

I honestly believe this.

However, like bonzibuddy, that won't stop me doing it anyway.

bonzi is my bro. Have you seen his morrowind mod.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Cast Detect Evil on it because magic, unlike mortals, is infallible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Did the Goblin actually attack you OP? If he fled without attacking, then he broke no law. And not all evil born creatures are evil. So unless he commited a crime and you could prove him evil it would be unjust to kill him.

Though, only Bahamut's priests are pacifists. Not pallys.

• Locked thread