Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm over the hump now that I have some LA appropriate equipment. It's good that the fights actually have some sense of danger now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Jeeze how long does it take a thread to get archived these days?

I am feeling like my life might finally be settled enough to have time to hit the Director's Cut hard now; am I remembering correctly that some party-joining NPCs have voiced dialogue now, or am I just remembering they added more voiced dialogue to vitally important characters like Quarex?

Also, uh, did anything ever actually happen with the modding? Oh, right, the official forums exist. Time to look there.

In the meantime, an excellent assortment of additional Pizepi Joren portraits, because that was obviously what the game was missing https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10198&sid=e63c69debd0f39a75d485e7adf4acfa8

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Quarex posted:

In the meantime, an excellent assortment of additional Pizepi Joren portraits, because that was obviously what the game was missing https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10198&sid=e63c69debd0f39a75d485e7adf4acfa8

At least one of them seems thematically appropriate :shrug:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also, uh, did anything ever actually happen with the modding? Oh, right, the official forums exist. Time to look there.

I'm pretty sure they abandoned it. Which is really too bad with all the help they got on art assets.

I guess not. See below.

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 13, 2016

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Dr. Quarex posted:

Modding tools were released some time ago. You can find more details on these pages on our website

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Is there a mod yet they keeps half my squad from turning traitor right at the last fight?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Is there a mod yet they keeps half my squad from turning traitor right at the last fight?
shooting them like the dogs they are before you enter

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Upmarket Mango posted:

I hope they improve upon what they've got and modernize some aspects with W3 if that ever comes, instead of trying to stay all old school.

I think an XCom-like with Ranger missions would be pretty cool too.
Big news today: http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/28/13081728/wasteland-3-announcement-fig-kickstarter-crowdfunding-release-date

Maybe you'll get your wish, after all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That concept art (screenshots?) looks great. MP does nothing for me. Fig is a turn off but not a deciding factor. I wish them the best, but I'm not going to be pitching in this time.

Will buy when it's released if it looks promising.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Rinkles posted:

TI wish them the best, but I'm not going to be pitching in this time.

That's pretty much where I am too, at least not til there's some evidence that they've learned some lessons from Wasteland 2's shortcomings. I don't regret playing Wasteland 2 (well, bits of it I regret playing) but I don't really need to play it again, under the same title or a new one.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Those screenshots look amazing. The multiplayer aspect sounds intriguing too. Im really curious how thats going to work out in practise. We ought to get a "goon citadel" together later for multiplayer.

I wonder when in the Wasteland timeline this will take place. Man, Oct 5 cant come soon enough.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wish Torment looked like this.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
It's funny when they promise a shorter campaign and it's actually a good thing.

edit: gently caress fig though

nerdz fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 28, 2016

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

I must be the only person who absolutely loved pretty much everything about Wasteland 2 (well, the Director's Cut at least), but I did and I'm not ashamed of it. Something about it just clicked for me and it's the only one out of the recent isometric RPGs that I still have an urge to replay sometimes. Not that I do, because it's a massive game, but at least there's an urge.

I didn't really mind the graphics though and multiplayer + dramatic camera angles pitch doesn't really do much for me, so gonna have to hold off my excitement for the sequel until I see the Kickstarter Fig pitch.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

That's pretty much where I am too, at least not til there's some evidence that they've learned some lessons from Wasteland 2's shortcomings. I don't regret playing Wasteland 2 (well, bits of it I regret playing) but I don't really need to play it again, under the same title or a new one.

It's not really just Wasteland 2's shortcomings; it's the fact that they utterly ignored some 25 years of RPG development and systems progression. Even the stuff they cribbed from they did half assed (RPG sides of Fallout 2, Tactics sides of Fallout: Tactics for combat).

It's weird seeing a came that came out a year or two ago outclassed by games that came out in 1998 in compelling and fun gameplay.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they're talking about all sorts of useless new features but if they don't fix the combat issues, completely random drops regardless of lock difficulty and a shitload of unlocking skills then it's worthless to me.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Fallout Tactics combat and vehicles were very satisfying to play with. I personally enjoyed the multiplayer there too.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Seeing vehicles in the screenshots has me hoping for some isometric mad max driving combat

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Looks neat and I really enjoyed WL2, but I'm not terribly interested in backing a game on Fig. I'm sort of done with crowdfunding anyway. I can always buy it at release.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Whats wrong with Fig? Ive been seeing a lot of people expressing disappointment about the funding campaign being through fig but this is the first time I've heard of the site even.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Upmarket Mango posted:

Whats wrong with Fig? Ive been seeing a lot of people expressing disappointment about the funding campaign being through fig but this is the first time I've heard of the site even.

It's by the double fine dudes, noted kickstarter and early access abusers.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Upmarket Mango posted:

Lots of things. Have you tried to reserve an investment yet? If so, I think you'll see pretty quick.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Looks promising graphically but like others have said I'll reserve judgement until some gameplay stuff emerges.

I didn't even know this was in the works yet so this is a nice surprise either way though.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

rocketrobot posted:

Lots of things. Have you tried to reserve an investment yet? If so, I think you'll see pretty quick.

Apparently they just got permission from the SEC to accept non-accredited investors, so reserving investments is no longer necessary.

I don't know much about Fig itself, but the basic concept of crowdfunders being treated as investors who get a financial return, rather than whatever novelty items have been shoved into the rewards section does seem like a good one. I'm really interested to see if it's actually possible to make a profit from the system, if one could give $1000 towards Wastelands 3 and get $1500 back, that would be pretty game changing.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
Looks like they got the people who made stasis to work on the maps, they've been around a little while and are known for amazing isometric map art.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

New crowdfunding campaign is live on Fig

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3#about

Already at 45%...

I was disappointed with Wasteland 2 so I'm not sure I'll go for this one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Free UnderRail/STASIS is a pretty great incentive, but I can't contribute atm regardless.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Hulk Smash! posted:

New crowdfunding campaign is live on Fig

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3#about

Already at 45%...

I was disappointed with Wasteland 2 so I'm not sure I'll go for this one.

1.23M out of 1.3M are from "investors", instead of pledgers so ...

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

adhuin posted:

1.23M out of 1.3M are from "investors", instead of pledgers so ...

Ah. That makes sense.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Rinkles posted:

Free UnderRail/STASIS is a pretty great incentive, but I can't contribute atm regardless.

I don't have either, which should I choose?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I enjoyed the crap out of WL2 despite it's flaws, and I enjoyed my DC playthrough even more. I got a $5 discount from backing other inExile projects so I went ahead and got the early bird digital thing for $20. I'm not worried about a product getting released with these guys like I am with most stuff in the post Star Citizen wasteland of crowdfunded games, and if it's, at worst, more WL2, then I'm confident I'll like it.

The investment stuff with Fig is sketchy and weird to me, but I don't think this is the kind of game that will get SC levels of out of control or anything.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wild posted:

I don't have either, which should I choose?

Underrail is a very good game and in my opinion a far better game than Wasteland 2. It has its issues, one of them being too oldschool in some aspects.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

docbeard posted:

I thought it was pretty well-agreed that the Director's Cut indicated they were, in fact, listening to feedback? You can say what you like about the game as it stood at release, but it sounds like they are definitively moving more towards the X-Com model of combat and the Divinity: Original Sin model of multiplayer, so I am not sure where you get the idea they are not learning. I am actually not at all excited about the multiplayer aspect because multiplayer gaming is the devil, though I realize the way they are doing it means the single-player campaign will be virtually the same so that is fine.

Perhaps a hamster posted:

I must be the only person who absolutely loved pretty much everything about Wasteland 2 (well, the Director's Cut at least), but I did and I'm not ashamed of it. Something about it just clicked for me and it's the only one out of the recent isometric RPGs that I still have an urge to replay sometimes. Not that I do, because it's a massive game, but at least there's an urge.

I didn't really mind the graphics though and multiplayer + dramatic camera angles pitch doesn't really do much for me, so gonna have to hold off my excitement for the sequel until I see the Kickstarter Fig pitch.
Plenty of people loved the game; even some of the people complaining here still enjoyed it, just with some understandable caveats.

I am certainly going to be interested to see how different this game is from 2 (multiplayer notwithstanding).

...Also, anyone who is worried about investing with Fig: dude, the owners of Fig are irrelevant. Brian Fargo is not going to let his baby that re-launched him into relevancy fall apart. I can all but guarantee this will come out (and will probably be better than 2).

The only question is...will I find a way to get invited to the release party?!?!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

dude, the owners of Fig are irrelevant.

Well, Fargo is one of Fig's co founders, if I'm not mistaken

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rinkles posted:

Well, Fargo is one of Fig's co founders, if I'm not mistaken
Oh I thought he was like on the "Board of Directors" but now that you say it...O.K. I checked, he was not a founder but is one of the luminaries on the executive board overseeing it, along with FEARGUS URQUHART~!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
The advisory board seems to be little other than a group of successful Kickstarter people who give advice and help curate the games that get put on Fig. Maybe there's some shady stuff going on behind the scenes, but I don't think any of them are actually involved with the operation of the company.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I thought it was pretty well-agreed that the Director's Cut indicated they were, in fact, listening to feedback? You can say what you like about the game as it stood at release, but it sounds like they are definitively moving more towards the X-Com model of combat and the Divinity: Original Sin model of multiplayer, so I am not sure where you get the idea they are not learning. I am actually not at all excited about the multiplayer aspect because multiplayer gaming is the devil, though I realize the way they are doing it means the single-player campaign will be virtually the same so that is fine.

I only ever played the Director's Cut. It was reportedly a substantial improvement over the initial release of the game, sure, but there's still a lot of room for things to get better. There are certainly things that make me hopeful that Wasteland 3 will be a marked improvement, but nothing that's convinced me to spend money sight unseen. If you're convinced, more power to you.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
New campaign won't be the same without Quarex cheerleading. :smith:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was a slacker backer on Wasteland 2, but I really enjoyed it for some of the things it does that few other games do, so if I had more money I'd throw some at it with a pledge (I don't care about "investing," especially after reading some of the numbers drawn up in the Kickstarter thread). Screenshots look pretty, though I'm ambivalent about multiplayer. Hope the game remains as easy to manipulate save game wise, if not easier, because when I didn't like a decision or felt I missed something or some one I liked to be able to just plop it in my save game in short order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am still salty about the "a third of my party turns traitor at the last fight" bullshit but I did enjoy the game, old-school dumb stuff included.

• Locked thread