Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I want to see what they have planned for character balance and stuff. Will there be a point to having an intelligence of 5 over 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

marshmallow creep posted:

I want to see what they have planned for character balance and stuff. Will there be a point to having an intelligence of 5 over 4?

Trash it wholesale. Nothing in the CLASSIC system is worth salvaging.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wasteland 3 needs to be pretty heavily modernized before I bother playing it. I'd even go so far and say that Wasteland 1 could be less of a chore than 2 was despite the outdated game design because at least you could easily break 1 over your knee if you have a simple grasp of game mechanics and character creation was less overwhelming than its own sequel.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Can't argue against that, frankly.

What gimmick name could they use instead. WASTE? Weird (replacing luck), Agility, Strength, Toughness, Ego?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

docbeard posted:

I only ever played the Director's Cut. It was reportedly a substantial improvement over the initial release of the game, sure, but there's still a lot of room for things to get better. There are certainly things that make me hopeful that Wasteland 3 will be a marked improvement, but nothing that's convinced me to spend money sight unseen. If you're convinced, more power to you.
Oh I am always convinced that Brian Fargo is going to do what he says. Even when he was shackled to awful publishers he still released games of some quality (Bard's Tale was SO GOOD and I have no idea why it disappointed anyone...well other than not really being a sequel, naturally), even if they were nothing compared to what he can do when he is in charge.

Tarquinn posted:

New campaign won't be the same without Quarex cheerleading. :smith:
Yeah we were one of the last new Kickstarter-game threads allowed. And maybe we could make a Wasteland 3 thread, I have no idea, but I would not really want to do that until at least the alpha was released or something (since you can have alpha access for $15 over your normal pledge, if I recall correctly).

Though I am still cheerleading. Look at me do it. I am already telling everyone that they should keep in mind this game WILL come out, so if you want to save some money on release or PUT YOURSELF IN THE GAME WOOO if you are crazy, go for it!

I am certainly interested to see where they go with the character mechanics. I think the goodwill earned by "actually making a pretty similar system to Wasteland 1" last time around should give them room to maneuver, particularly as I am sure there will be fewer backers to complain this time. Well, I suppose that is assuming they want to update the system.

If I can bring up tabletop role-playing for a minute, Marshmallow Creep's idea reminds me of the change from Deadlands to Savage Worlds; I loved Deadlands' system for its intricacy and overwhelming amount of fun numbers to raise, but then when I saw the super-streamlined version released a decade later I found it hard to argue that a return to the old system was good. So yeah, maybe they should cut a couple statistics, maybe make skills use-based ... not sure.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I'll bite on this. I don't mind 'painfully, agonizingly oldschool in ways that remind you why we don't do it like this anymore' as much as a lot of people do, and I'm willing to go out of my way for fully turn-based stuff in this day and age.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

For those that missed it (like me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsGh_L4eKro

(Better than the kid sketches, I guess?)

-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxYUgRdp0EE

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I haven't actually played the DC after bouncing off the game after it came out (I was a backer). What are the main fixes? If I want to give it another go, what party composition should I go for? Anything about skills etc. I need to know? Because I'm not restarting the game again, if some skills are essential and others are useless I'd prefer to know before I go back in. Thanks~

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

I find it really hard to believe they'll spend the same time working on dialog animations for the entire game like the ones in this video. Though it's a lot better than what they had on WL2.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Best fixes for the Director's Cut concern character system (quirks and perks were sorely needed) and not having to click on a skill and then an object to use it on every time (there's a contextual menu now.)

A bunch of other stuff was so-so, rebalanced encounters weren't really any better than the original's and the aimed shot system never felt very significant to me (though it was certainly more balanced than Fallout's.)

Some people *really* dislike the new UI, which I don't fully get, and the new voice acting, which I get because it's bad and never matches the original's lines (I'm pretty sure Angela Deth changed voice actress in the middle of a scene once, Bethesda-style.)

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Best fixes for the Director's Cut concern character system (quirks and perks were sorely needed) and not having to click on a skill and then an object to use it on every time (there's a contextual menu now.)

A bunch of other stuff was so-so, rebalanced encounters weren't really any better than the original's and the aimed shot system never felt very significant to me (though it was certainly more balanced than Fallout's.)

Some people *really* dislike the new UI, which I don't fully get, and the new voice acting, which I get because it's bad and never matches the original's lines (I'm pretty sure Angela Deth changed voice actress in the middle of a scene once, Bethesda-style.)

In the very beginning of the game when you first meet Angela she shifts to what can only be an entirely different recording session when she asks to join your party. It's still the same voice actress but she performs very differently than the few paragraphs you just listened to with her talking about Ace and all that. Different distance from the microphone too, like she was trying to get in close to convey whispering to you.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Are there any skills or weapon types that are straight up not worth it?

edit: or overpowered?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Rinkles posted:

For those that missed it (like me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsGh_L4eKro

(Better than the kid sketches, I guess?)

-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxYUgRdp0EE

I really wanted to see the UI during combat but I guess it's too early for that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Alarm Disarming is almost useless. If you can find or rank it up on an NPC, go ahead, but alarms pretty much just start fights you were going to fight anyway.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

afkmacro posted:

I really wanted to see the UI during combat but I guess it's too early for that.

They'll be tweaking the UI up until close to the launch, so even if they did show something now it likely wouldn't be all that representative of what the final version will look like.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I like that, despite its obvious cheesiness, they tried hard in the video to recreate the "badass developer" element of the first game's gorgeous box photos.

also hahahah at George Ziets, Lawman (Now)

I do not actually know what Torment's dialogue system is since I have been barely able to pay attention, but I still assume it is promising that they are using it instead of the fairly basic system in Wasteland 2.

Also I mean, for real, how many post-apocalyptic snow environments have there really ever been in gaming history? I did not play Lost Planet enough to know if the feeling was similar there. I am super-stoked to once again get something besides desert or ruined city, though.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Lost planet and the initial part of Borderlands 2 are snow post-apocalyptic settings, and to be honest it just feels like "white desert" to me.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well I mean, the main reason to be excited to get away from the desert is to get away from beige. So even if a tundra is just a white desert it still looks nicely different. Plus this obviously means now things can be gated for radiation AND cold! You must have a Rad Parka to enter Denbrrr.

First hit for "rad parka," gonna have to agree.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

nerdz posted:

Lost planet and the initial part of Borderlands 2 are snow post-apocalyptic settings, and to be honest it just feels like "white desert" to me.

For what it's worth, the Arctic and Antarctic have the two largest deserts on earth :grin:

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Just wanted to chime in to point out that in the e announcement gameplay trailer, the desert ranger who gets killed by a running axe attack was clearly a chump.

I mean, wow.

Also a strange way to introduce the game. Be introduced to this world by a desert ranger and to make choices for him only to end up having that person, and by extension yourself, murdered in one strike.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Stumpus posted:

Also a strange way to introduce the game. Be introduced to this world by a desert ranger and to make choices for him only to end up having that person, and by extension yourself, murdered in one strike.
It's a rough place :D

To be fair, Wasteland 2 was a game where you could get shot by General Vargas (the guy giving you your main mission) within a few minutes of starting the game. We like to pull the rug out under people

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Looks very close to its goal already. 81% in the first two, three days?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Looks very close to its goal already. 81% in the first two, three days?

It launched at ~50% funded (from investments), iirc. But it'll make the goal no problem.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Rinkles posted:

It launched at ~50% funded (from investments), iirc. But it'll make the goal no problem.

Yeah, I assume this is less of a make-the-game-happen fundraising and more of a how-many-bells-and-whistles one. Which is fine by me, really.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

I was gonna throw money their way but then I remembered I never finished WL2. Will buy on a steam sale though.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Brother None posted:

To be fair, Wasteland 2 was a game where you could get shot by General Vargas (the guy giving you your main mission) within a few minutes of starting the game. We like to pull the rug out under people

Noticed "designer" in your sig on the update. What sort of design work will you be doing?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

neongrey posted:

Yeah, I assume this is less of a make-the-game-happen fundraising and more of a how-many-bells-and-whistles one. Which is fine by me, really.
Yeah, any of you who do not want to contribute to the game can still make your own lovely impact on the future by engaging with the campaign; I am pretty excited by the "enough social media activity and you get a Faran Brygo cameo" tier.

So, you know... TO THE FREE-PUBLICITY MACHINE!

Wasteland 3 posted:

Here's your missions, Rangers!

Facebook likes: like the Wasteland Facebook page and get your friends to do the same.
Facebook shares: share the Wasteland 3 announcement post on Facebook.
Twitter followers: follow @inxile_ent on Twitter and get your friends to do the same.
Twitter retweets: retweet the announcement tweet from @inxile_ent.
Post-Apocalyptic Cosplay: take photos of yourself in post-apocalyptic garb, whether desert or snow theme, and send them to us at fanart@inxile.net or through Facebook.
Fanart: send us your fan drawing or sketch for the Wasteland franchise at fanart@inxile.net or through Facebook.
If only we still had the killer fan-artists hanging around and stoked to make things like we did in the run-up to Wasteland 2. That is the downside to a sequel coming after a few years rather than 25, I suppose. Not quite the world-shattering surprise this time around.

BUT

BUT!!!

This did give me the chance to think harder and realize I am forgetting some snow-apocalypse things.

We can only hope Wasteland 3 is HALF as rad as Midwinter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JD83gl39-M&t=135s

I admit I just discovered these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkzrXOe7Izw&t=70s

http://www.onlysp.com/new-post-apocalyptic-survival-game-impact-winter-exploring-canadian-wastelands/

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Stumpus posted:

Just wanted to chime in to point out that in the e announcement gameplay trailer, the desert ranger who gets killed by a running axe attack was clearly a chump.

I mean, wow.

Clearly 10 int, 1 luck

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Brother None posted:

Given that modern CRPG character interaction in the Fallout/TES/Mass Effect style is a goal now, are you guys going to improving player character generation as well? I could understand the paperdoll aspect of WL2, because things were being done somewhat on a cheaper budget, but it was pretty limiting in certain aspects. I would love to see modern facial and body generation for the game, even if it remained a bit cartooony or if it was for multiple characters. I'm still bummed that mod tools have never become available because I could easily come up with custom heads and outfits for my players these days in Blender.

Dr. Quarex posted:

This did give me the chance to think harder and realize I am forgetting some snow-apocalypse things.

We can only hope Wasteland 3 is HALF as rad as Midwinter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JD83gl39-M&t=135s

I loved Midwinter as well as Flames Of Freedom. They were kind of like proto-GTA games, where you are running around an island (or, in FoF, an archipelago), commandeering vehicles to use against an invading force while recruiting people to help (although FoF it was more a singular figure trying to stall the invaders). I kind of wish there was a modernized version of Midwinter, I loved running around contacting other 31 island residents, because they had complex arrangements to secure their allegiances. Running this thing on a Tandy was hell though and I could never complete the game due to early computer game wonkiness.

There's also Quintet, which is a little known Robert Altman post-apocalypse film from 1979 (I had seen parts of it before and would have guessed it was earlier than Star Wars and Aliens), with Paul Newman getting involved in game of assassination in possibly the last city on Earth during an ice age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWnZuykuYFw

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So I'm going to go back and try and make it through Wasteland 1. The interface isn't that bad, honestly (though Interplay's Lord of the Rings RPG is slightly better), but where I find myself lost is the sheer inability to explore the game's content. It's so open-ended, and maybe this is just a lack of imagination on my part, but I can never figure out anything besides the most obvious way to do things.

For example (can't believe I'm spoilering a 22 year old game), when I get to Highpool, I managed to connect the note on the wall in the trader's building with the kid in the corner, and say the right words to make him say where the cave was. I managed to connect the dots and use Perception to locate it precisely, then rappel down with the rope. But apparently there's about a half dozen other things in Highpool that I missed, including using the crowbar on the door to the dorms to start an encounter.

Does anyone have any spoiler-free recommendations for getting into the right frame of mind about a game this expansive?

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Airfoil posted:

Noticed "designer" in your sig on the update. What sort of design work will you be doing?
I'm a content designer/implementer, but what that means varies per project, so can't say yet. So far I've been part of the early pre-production team working out and prototyping our plans for new and improved systems, multiplayer, combat etc.

Young Freud posted:

Given that modern CRPG character interaction in the Fallout/TES/Mass Effect style is a goal now, are you guys going to improving player character generation as well? I could understand the paperdoll aspect of WL2, because things were being done somewhat on a cheaper budget, but it was pretty limiting in certain aspects. I would love to see modern facial and body generation for the game, even if it remained a bit cartooony or if it was for multiple characters. I'm still bummed that mod tools have never become available because I could easily come up with custom heads and outfits for my players these days in Blender.
Character customization is something that does get requested a lot, and we know it's important to a lot of players. We're hoping we can do more with that. One thing we're definitely hoping for this time around is for your armor appearance to reflect on your characters, and we may also expand that type of thing depending on our final funding level.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

horse mans posted:

So I'm going to go back and try and make it through Wasteland 1. The interface isn't that bad, honestly (though Interplay's Lord of the Rings RPG is slightly better), but where I find myself lost is the sheer inability to explore the game's content. It's so open-ended, and maybe this is just a lack of imagination on my part, but I can never figure out anything besides the most obvious way to do things.

For example (can't believe I'm spoilering a 22 year old game), when I get to Highpool, I managed to connect the note on the wall in the trader's building with the kid in the corner, and say the right words to make him say where the cave was. I managed to connect the dots and use Perception to locate it precisely, then rappel down with the rope. But apparently there's about a half dozen other things in Highpool that I missed, including using the crowbar on the door to the dorms to start an encounter.

Does anyone have any spoiler-free recommendations for getting into the right frame of mind about a game this expansive?
I dont know what to say explicitly, but youre on the right track. Thats how the games were before every game had QUEST HERE! maps and the internet had the answer to everything. Most people missed something, and that meant that everyone had a slightly different experience (and story they crafted in their head along the way) than everyone else. It was more fun to talk about with friends in that particular way too.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Brother None posted:

It does have me excited though. I noticed in the trailer that the dialog seemed to flow really well. Like the other guy would start reacting before the choices left the screen. Is that how the system is really going to work?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hit 100% funding.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I was going to ask if there were going to be stretch goals or is more of "additional funding goes to polish and improvements but not individual feature promises"

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

I was going to ask if there were going to be stretch goals or is more of "additional funding goes to polish and improvements but not individual feature promises"

I'd much prefer the latter, but crowd funding is all about the hype train... seems like they feel compelled to push stretch goals for maximum impact.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

FRINGE posted:

I dont know what to say explicitly, but youre on the right track. Thats how the games were before every game had QUEST HERE! maps and the internet had the answer to everything. Most people missed something, and that meant that everyone had a slightly different experience (and story they crafted in their head along the way) than everyone else. It was more fun to talk about with friends in that particular way too.
FRINGE has it pretty dead-on; basically, go into a new area, and if something interesting happens and/or you find you can survive the first fights that go down, then keep exploring. You will find clues all over the place; the most challenging location to explore is probably Las Vegas because there are so many mostly-empty houses.

The most obvious "you have progressed to past mid-game" is Guardian Citadel; not exactly spoilers because the game literally tells you "you can tell you do not have the armaments to take this place down" and "your armor is not good enough to survive here" if either is true when you are walking up.

Though honestly I am not sure how anyone ever put Max together or figured out the end-game sequence without spoilers, but obviously that is just because my young self had no clue what was going on and had to consult QUEST FOR CLUES II

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Is there any way to turn of all the additional voicework the Director's Cut added? It's pretty jarring when a character's opening line has one VA doing it, then the rest of their dialogue has a clearly different, usually worse, voice actor for every single dialogue option. Kind of preferred when most of the game was just text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am so delighted to see the Gippers officially debuting in Wasteland 3 after all the subdued hype about how Brian Fargo wished they could have made them work in Wasteland 2.

• Locked thread