Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tonesville
Apr 25, 2010
I've been making a "living" doing guitar repair for 13 years. I had my own independent shop at Guitar Center stores (the ONLY lucrative arrangement in the biz-maybe sam ash) from 2001-2009 and ended up with all 4 stores in the Atlanta area. I left when they started "GC Garage"(techs are now employees at most stores). I worked from home a bit and considered opening a shop but the problem was that I couldn't get "my" customer list from GC. They made vague legal threats over it and I've been working my way out of the business ever since!
It's an old-fashoned business that relies on word-of-mouth and a nice sized customer list. It's VERRRRY tough to build a customer base from the ground up. I should have been keeping names and numbers but I figured they were in GC's system when I needed them. It's not a lucrative business at all and I now work for maple street guitars which is one of the busiest shops in Atlanta and we're really slow right now(like scary slow for the last 6 months).

The musical instrument retail world is rough these days and most techs stay at their jobs for years and suck up all the customers. Finding a store that will take you on would be the best idea (you're probably better than 90% of the hacks out there!). You could build the customer list while making an hourly wage and break out when it makes sense. After all this time I'm working on a startup online company-many more/better opportunities there. Good luck!

tonesville fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread