Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JD
Jan 11, 2003
I'm looking to go in to business for myself. I've done guitar repair for a few years now, through Guitar Center and on my own for friends. I'm also a trained and certified Luthier. I've also apprenticed under a couple professional techs for a short time.

Right now I'm doing customer service and product repping for a small company, but I make barely enough to scrape by. So I'm hoping to bootstrap myself and start doing repairs on the weekends/evenings.

I've talked to Snatch Duster a little about promoting myself using a website and adwords... but I really can't afford to pay for advertising right now. I know that word of mouth and just busting my rear end at local venues is one avenue. But I'm looking for any other advice to help me get started.

I have the bare minimum of tools, because I've always worked in shops that provided all the larger tools I need. I'd really like about $1500 worth of tools that I don't have right now, and will probably invest my tax refund next year in. But I was wondering if my local SBA might help me find some loans or grants to help me get started sooner? Also, would it be prudent for me to get my business license right away? I'm in California so it's going to cost me around $900... I'm hoping to run the business out of my garage. I've also talked to the local music shops in my area, but they all had someone doing their repairs already, and most want someone with a business license and clientele.

Any advice, experience, or discussion is greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Thanks, I'll look in to that. I was also thinking that I'd offer mobile services, like if someone is a collector I could come to them and do their whole or part of their collection for a discounted price.

I don't really have any relatives that could afford to loan me any money. I had considered using GoFundMe but I asked goons about doing that and the general consensus was that I'd be a freeloader for doing that...

• Locked thread