Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

JD posted:

I'm looking to go in to business for myself. I've done guitar repair for a few years now, through Guitar Center and on my own for friends. I'm also a trained and certified Luthier. I've also apprenticed under a couple professional techs for a short time.

What happened with the professional techs? Did you finish your apprenticeship with them and if so was there enough business to support both of you in work? Did you move or is there some other reason you aren't working for one of these guys right now?

Before you take out any sort of loan, take a look at how many of these sorts of businesses are around your area. Why would someone come to you? Word of mouth? Okay, can you build a client base with the tools and talent you already have? How many of these jobs will you have to do before you can pay off $1500 in tools? 1? 2? 100? How much do you charge for a job and why would someone pick you over heading down to Guitar Center or going to one of the old pros?

Making money off your hobby is fantastic and I really want you to kick rear end and become JD - Master of the Strings but dropping 1500 bucks on some tools and waiting for people to come around sounds like a quick way to put yourself into a very bad situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread