Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Beef Waifu posted:

Not at all, but it doesn't change that the game is incredibly good, probably.

Can't comment on the feel of the controls, but judging from the stream I watched, and the comments from the streamer, it's more of the same tight combat that was in the first game, with the added bonus of the Umbran Climax (which, BTW, they seem to have balanced pretty well - making it a viable combat option, but not a complete gamebreaker).

The presentation is pretty much as it was in the first game (though less static images with only a things animated to create a sense of movement), it's fun and campy, and the music is pretty solid.

I feel they wasted their potential with certain...things, though, and there's parts that fall short.

[e]: I'll PM you.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
what are you talking about?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Can't comment on the feel of the controls, but judging from the stream I watched, and the comments from the streamer, it's more of the same tight combat that was in the first game, with the added bonus of the Umbran Climax (which, BTW, they seem to have balanced pretty well - making it a viable combat option, but not a complete gamebreaker).

The presentation is pretty much as it was in the first game (though less static images with only a things animated to create a sense of movement), it's fun and campy, and the music is pretty solid.

I feel they wasted their potential with certain...things, though, and there's parts that fall short.

Yeah, I got the same feeling. I'm not sure whether to be disappointed or not, Bayonetta 2 is looking like it's literally Bayonetta 1 but with a very nice and shiny lick of paint. I wasn't able to hear the music pretty well, but a lot of it seemed like it was the same music from the first game, but changed just a little.

I don't think I will be disappointed, but I don't just want Bayonetta v1.2 either.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

yoshesque posted:

I can't be sure if this video is legit, because if it is, then Bayonetta on the Wii U looks like a very disappointing port. The colours look really washed out and the reason the 360 version looked so great was because the blacks really popped. No clue whether the gameplay is as smooth as the xbox though, it's just a comparison between the 360 and the Wii U versions of the first cutscene of the game.

One of the comments on another comparison video has a possible explanation:

youtube posted:

That's because of gamma levels scale, mate.
Japanese output at 0-255 - no exceptions.
While most other territories output at 16-235.
When you play a game sending a 0-255 handshake to a TV set to 16-235 scale - it cuts off the black levels beneath 16 and luma levels above 235. (which in 16-235 scale are the bottom and top levels respectively. The 255 scale has more, for lack of better wording "space" to it.)

To remedy it you have to look for a setting in your TV's menu - usually called something like "Black Level Setting" or something of the like and switch it.

Then again it's something that not many people know and even less bother with.
That's why you see such differences."

No idea if that's the case here but the part about Japan having different gamma levels is true.

Horrible Taste fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 21, 2014

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
youtube comments are highly reputable and intelligent, as we all know

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Figured I'd ask as I'm watching a stream of the full game. Menu's, voice acting, everything is all in English already by default so why is it taking a extra month to get here?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Figured I'd ask as I'm watching a stream of the full game. Menu's, voice acting, everything is all in English already by default so why is it taking a extra month to get here?

Marketing reasons. They're already releasing Hyrule Warriors this month and don't want to overlap on their own title.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
i'm still hype

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

Marketing reasons. They're already releasing Hyrule Warriors this month and don't want to overlap on their own title.

Guess I'm just mildly annoyed that everything is a full month back right now. Seems like every game is coming out a full month early in Japan and I always wind up getting spoiled by importers.

I mean shouldn't be too surprised all things considered but still.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Horrible Taste posted:

One of the comments on another comparison video has a possible explanation:

No idea if that's the case here but the part about Japan having different gamma levels is true.

I suspect this is true. When I watched that video I immediately recognized that the difference was the gamma levels. This used to be common thing in PC video games and you can tell because the colors are the same while only the contrast is different. The only reason to change gamma is to adjust for the output device and isn't a value that affects performance. They wouldn't have adjusted gamma because the Wii U is less capable so it would have to be a change due to different television standards.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This game shares what, one weapon with Bayonetta 1? And even that weapon has different combos than in 1. Not to mention Tag Climax and the much larger enemy variety. I don't think that this is going to be Bayonetta v1.2.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 21, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ Inability to use the bow with your feet is a tad disappointing.

Having just finished Wonderful 101 I now have a clear plate for Bayonetta 2. Also I hope that they put in Immorta and/or Vijjoune costumes. Hell, may as well throw in Alice too, while I'm at it.

Platinum why do you make such good games and apparently fail utterly at marketing them so that you make no money and have difficulty continuing to make those games?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 21, 2014

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Marketing is a publisher thing, blame them. I feel like Bayonetta 2 already has pretty good word of mouth going for it, just because of the cult status of the original.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

RVWinkle posted:

I suspect this is true. When I watched that video I immediately recognized that the difference was the gamma levels. This used to be common thing in PC video games and you can tell because the colors are the same while only the contrast is different. The only reason to change gamma is to adjust for the output device and isn't a value that affects performance. They wouldn't have adjusted gamma because the Wii U is less capable so it would have to be a change due to different television standards.

So, what does all this mean, for those of us who don't understand all of this? Is it:

1) the Japanese and western versions look different because of different TV standards and there's no getting around that, or

2) it only looked bad because it was the Japanese version playing on a western TV, and the western version will look the way it should because it'll be adjusted for the different standard?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know how Bayonetta 2 is about terrible platforming/QTE/minigame segments? I don't think any Platinum games since have been as bad about that as Bayonetta so hopefully they've gotten better about it. Kamiya not being the actual director might help too.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

So, what does all this mean, for those of us who don't understand all of this? Is it:

1) the Japanese and western versions look different because of different TV standards and there's no getting around that, or

2) it only looked bad because it was the Japanese version playing on a western TV, and the western version will look the way it should because it'll be adjusted for the different standard?

The region of the game or your TV doesn't matter, since the problem is with the way the Wii U encodes output. However, it's easy to fix: just set the RGB range on your TV to Auto (if your TV supports it) or Limited (if it doesn't).

Based on what I've read about the issue, it seems that you really should be doing this anyway, since apparently stuff like DVDs and Blu-rays also use limited range and will appear similarly washed out on TVs set to display full RGB range.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know how Bayonetta 2 is about terrible platforming/QTE/minigame segments? I don't think any Platinum games since have been as bad about that as Bayonetta so hopefully they've gotten better about it. Kamiya not being the actual director might help too.

They had an entire character dedicated to it in Revengeance.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Doc V posted:

The region of the game or your TV doesn't matter, since the problem is with the way the Wii U encodes output. However, it's easy to fix: just set the RGB range on your TV to Auto (if your TV supports it) or Limited (if it doesn't).

Mine does not appear to have an RGB range option at all.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsXV7HuZgu8

Here's a combo video already. It's done in practice mode so there's no spoilers.

I can not wait.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Beef Waifu posted:

They had an entire character dedicated to it in Revengeance.

Was that one of the DLCs? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

Here's a combo video already. It's done in practice mode so there's no spoilers.

I can not wait.

Looks awesome. I'm playing through W101 again platinuming all the chapters on hard to scratch the stylish action itch until it comes out.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

I can not wait.

Focused shooting seems a lot stronger. They also added shooting extensions to Tetsuzanko and Afterburner Kick, which is nice.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Focused shooting seems a lot stronger. They also added shooting extensions to Tetsuzanko and Afterburner Kick, which is nice.

Uh, they already had that in the first one?

This is very cool and all, but it's nothing that couldn't be done in the first one, aside from what I think are two new moves. What I find interesting is that they've seemed to have tweaked how juggling works now, not that it was particularly difficult in the first one.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
i never once held shooting after either of those moves

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Important question: Is this game's plot also going to involve cutting off a bunch of giant penises and beating up the fascist patriarchy behind them?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

only if you want it to

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Ok, cool, I'm in.

Seriously though, you don't remember that one boss and what was basically the entire premise of the lumen sages?

E: Also whatever that dude was at the end of the first Bayonetta.

E2: I guess he is a lumen sage now anyway according to one of those trailers?

Kylra fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 22, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Moon Monster posted:

Was that one of the DLCs? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Bladewolf has platforming stages, yes.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Here's the new theme of Bayonetta, "Moon River". I dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOcw_F5xuJM

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

R.I.P. Andy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

I like this for the game, but I think I still like the version of Fly Me to the Moon they used for Bayo 1 better.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I thought Tomorrow Is Mine was the new theme, and I kind of like it better than this one. Moon River isn't bad, though.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

I am so happy this kind of thing is going to be the battle theme again. I was going to be disappointed if they went with something entirely different.

There's no "I Love You" to stick out in this one, but maybe "Moooon Riiivverr" will do it.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Evil Eagle posted:

Hmm, now I will only be able to think about having a finger up my butt when this plays.

Maybe that was their intent.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

Mine does not appear to have an RGB range option at all.

Some TVs call the setting Black Level, in which case low corresponds to limited rgb range. If your TV doesn't have that either, then it probably either doesn't support full rgb range at all or always autodetects the correct setting. In either case you should be fine, unless you're using a PC monitor as a TV, since those usually support full range only.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Beef Waifu posted:

Bladewolf has platforming stages, yes.

Ah, I never played that because everyone said it was terrible. Taking it out of the main game and putting it in DLC is still an improvement in my book.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

From what I've read, people have unlocked !!!5!!! playable characters for both single and multi-player. This is going to be a long month.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

chumbler posted:

I thought Tomorrow Is Mine was the new theme, and I kind of like it better than this one. Moon River isn't bad, though.

They're following the pattern of Bayo 1 by having a main battle theme (Mysterious Destiny in 1, Tomorrow is Mine from 2), and then a jazzed-up battle theme version of a licenced song (about Moons) that is generally played in the intro stage, and ending movie (Fly me to the Moon in Bayo 1, Moon River in this one).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

From what I've read, people have unlocked !!!5!!! playable characters for both single and multi-player. This is going to be a long month.

Crazy poo poo. Easy guesses are the Umbran Witches, Rodin, the Lumen Sage, but I'm thinking the last one might be RAIDEN SAM DANTE Luka .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Crazy poo poo. Easy guesses are the Umbran Witches, Rodin, the Lumen Sage, but I'm thinking the last one might be RAIDEN SAM DANTE Luka .

It's Enzo

• Locked thread