Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Here's the ones I saw. The last one is a character we haven't seen if you don't want part of the plot spoiled. I don't know anything about it's role in the story.

Bayonetta
Jeanne__________________
Lumen Sage______________
Rodin____________________
Bayonetta's Mom (yes really)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm really disappointed in you, Platinum. You have all the time and resources Nintendo allowed you and you still couldn't make Enzo playable. Oh well, maybe in Bayonetta 3 (lol).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Crazy poo poo. Easy guesses are the Umbran Witches, Rodin, the Lumen Sage, but I'm thinking the last one might be RAIDEN SAM DANTE Luka .

I'd be surprised if Loki isn't playable.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Moon Monster posted:

I'd be surprised if Loki isn't playable.

Pretty sure we already saw him being played in a trailer.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It looks like Rodin and the Lumen Sage are only unlocked for Tag Climax. That's a shame but maybe there are more unlockables.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Man, the only disppointment I have with Bayonetta 2 is that Future Press aren't the ones doing the strategy guide. :(

I just managed to get their first guide recently for a super good price and it's soooooooooooooooo good.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Looks like Tag Climax includes Bayonetta 1 enemies as well. I am going to play that mode so much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Looks like Tag Climax includes Bayonetta 1 enemies as well. I am going to play that mode so much.

Does that include bosses?

What I'm asking is "does this mean I can refight Jeanne without replaying an entire stage?"

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Does that include bosses?

What I'm asking is "does this mean I can refight Jeanne without replaying an entire stage?"

I saw a Verse Card titled "Umbra Witches - BAYONETTA AND JEANNE". I think I saw some of the Virtues as well.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

I saw a Verse Card titled "Umbra Witches - BAYONETTA AND JEANNE". I think I saw some of the Virtues as well.

GodDAMN I hope this means a two-on-two fight.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Well I was really curious about the rest of Tag Climax mode so I put together a list of verse cards based on a few videos I found. I'm missing five verse cards as of this post. Spoilers for boss and enemy names of course.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EXe51S_jv5XifdjvhpXNdQ1y8tRvQzz5TWF9K1tR3w0/edit?usp=sharing

Man there are a ton of enemy types in this game. The wait just gets longer and longer.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Evil Eagle posted:

Spoilers for boss and enemy names of course.

Yeah, no kidding.

Jesus, I wish I didn't click on that now.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Well, looks like EDGE gave Bayonetta 2 a perfect 10/10

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Evil Eagle posted:

Well I was really curious about the rest of Tag Climax mode so I put together a list of verse cards based on a few videos I found. I'm missing five verse cards as of this post. Spoilers for boss and enemy names of course.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EXe51S_jv5XifdjvhpXNdQ1y8tRvQzz5TWF9K1tR3w0/edit?usp=sharing

Man there are a ton of enemy types in this game. The wait just gets longer and longer.

Hahaha oh man, that reveal's gonna be good.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/24/week-sales-ouch-bayonetta-2/

Japan, pleeeeeease

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
And bombed quite hard in Japan if the sales numbers posted over at NeoGAF are correct :sigh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Did you really expect any different?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jesus. No publisher is going to touch Platinum if this keeps happening.

Beef Waifu posted:

Did you really expect any different?

Well I was hoping for numbers similar to Bayonetta 1, but with the WiiU's adoption rate in Japan that would be like a 10% attach rate first week. Craziness.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

That's bad, but it looks like sales in general besides Smash Bros. were pretty awful. Is the console market in Japan dead at this point?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr E posted:

That's bad, but it looks like sales in general besides Smash Bros. were pretty awful. Is the console market in Japan dead at this point?

Yes, and it has been for some time.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, and it has been for some time.

That's what I thought, I figured with the amount of hours that is spent on a career along with mass transport being used that portable would overall be more popular.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think America and Europe have more Wii U's in households than Japan each. It was never going to do good in Japan, but we need to wait for the western numbers to see if this is really gonna be a bad time. I would like to believe enough people own Wii U's in both sides to buy the thing, but I am not holding my breath.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I can't imagine Bayonetta would sell all that well in Japan to begin with. It's not a game you can market to kids and the Wii U hasn't exactly sold gangbusters over there to begin with.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

ChaosArgate posted:

I can't imagine Bayonetta would sell all that well in Japan to begin with. It's not a game you can market to kids and the Wii U hasn't exactly sold gangbusters over there to begin with.
Well, the first one sold most of its copies in Japan (or at least, a proportionally large number) in Japan.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Well I preordered two copies of the game, so I'm doing my part :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PrBacterio posted:

Well, the first one sold most of its copies in Japan (or at least, a proportionally large number) in Japan.

Was the first one a system seller in Japan though? The PS3 (and to a lesser extent, 360) had a larger install base already at the time of Bayonetta's launch compared to the Wii U's, didn't it? It's a lot easier to sell a game to someone if they already own the platform it's on.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They must have some kind of business deal making wizard on staff because people have been saying this since Bayonetta 1 and yet they keep getting publishing deals. It doesn't even seem like the budget side is the limiting factor for their game production. They've put out eight games over the last five years and have another coming out next month.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How many of those games actually lost the publisher money? Isn't the budget for Platinum games usually fairly small so low sales don't automatically mean a failure.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Why'd you have to hype me up like that? :(

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'd be surprised if Nintendo made money on The Wonderful 101. I wonder if Nintendo and Platinum's audiences just don't overlap much.

I just realized Loki is literally Yugioh. Can't believe how long that took me.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Well I was hoping for numbers similar to Bayonetta 1, but with the WiiU's adoption rate in Japan that would be like a 10% attach rate first week. Craziness.

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

They must have some kind of business deal making wizard on staff because people have been saying this since Bayonetta 1 and yet they keep getting publishing deals. It doesn't even seem like the budget side is the limiting factor for their game production. They've put out eight games over the last five years and have another coming out next month.

In the publisher system, developers usually lose contracts due to the product not meeting the needs of their publisher rather than their games not selling particularly well. It's the role of the developer to make a quality game on schedule/budget and it's the role of the publisher to sell the game to the target audience.

Think of it this way; a developer who makes a quality game that arrives on time, is on budget, and reviews well but sells poorly might end up attracting more work. The same publisher or another one might think the developer has the potential to make a hit but the packaging (marketing campaign, aesthetics, release window, etc.) of that particular game didn't work. A more marketable game would perform better, such as Platinum working with the Metal Gear license to better success.

On the other hand, a developer who ships a game that is over budget, misses the deadline/milestones, reviews poorly due to bugs/bad gameplay, but had a moderate amount of commercial success won't be as likely to attract publishers. The developer failed to ship a quality product on time and publishers are unlikely to think the developer can pull off a breakout hit (and the publisher can own the IP).

Unlike the days at Clover, the people at Platinum run a tight ship. Since their existence, they've averaged one shipped game per year (with Korra still to come) and have had very good reviews for most of their titles. That's a very strong pedigree even if it hasn't resulted in strong sales. They also did a fantastic rescue mission with Metal Gear Rising. So they have a reputation as a clutch action game developer.

Nevertheless, they're at the point where they're working on licensed Activision downloadable games. The types of games they specialize in are getting more and more niche in the current market. The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 had to be made with the help of a first-party publisher who was willing to fund niche titles. Scalebound is said to be very different from the character actions games Platinum made before. They might have to get more work like Legend of Korra to keep the lights on. They're unlikely to get IP rights to their games or much in the way of royalties but they have a strong reputation that is attractive to publishers.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I am really really saddened by those sales figures. Platinum are my favourite developer of all time.

On the other hand, I am hoping for somewhat better figures outside Japan.... but I would be surprised if they got anywhere near decent numbers even so.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Platinum and Clover really feel to me like the gaming equivalent of "art films". Really solid, intricately crafted works that review fairly well and pull off their artistic goal (in our case: solid core game mechanics) immaculately but aren't successful. It's funny in that, tonally, the games are about the polar opposite of "art films", but I feel like it's a somewhat fair comparison.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 25, 2014

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Heard an interesting thing about the difficulty modes:

Apparently Non-Stop Infinite Climax mode does not disable witch time this time around.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
The best thing about Platinum titles is that they are pretty much exactly what you would expect of their premise, taken to the 1000th degree. Even if you hate their games, impossible to deny how much they commit to their concepts.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
Well, the thread is off to a sombre start, but I personally will be buying a Wii U for this game, and I'm sure Platinum has many other fans in the west looking to do the same. I actually have no idea how popular they are in Japan but Rising seems to have made serious waves on the western end of the net so I'm holding out hope for a solid showing. Either way I know this game gonna be the tightest poo poo

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

wasn't metal gear rising a huge success? i remember kojima saying he wanted to work with platinum again

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can't wait to see how terrible and annoying the Space Harrier remake in this game is, though. Then again, maybe we've escaped unscathed since Kamiya isn't directing.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jsor posted:

I can't wait to see how terrible and annoying the Space Harrier remake in this game is, though. Then again, maybe we've escaped unscathed since Kamiya isn't directing.

Level 16 will be the Starfox sequel we've waited 17 years for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pomp posted:

Level 16 will be the Starfox sequel we've waited 17 years for.

Equipping the Star Fox costume actually turns the jets into Arwings. It's pretty cool.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 25, 2014

• Locked thread