Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
Dash plastic is on the way back from getting the trim chromed. rear tires are mounted. Going to have to space them about half a inch to give all that tread some more clearance from the leaf spring. It looks like it will all fit nicely though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

Needs a bit of touch up around the edges but it came out pretty good.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
This project is a ton of fun to follow along with, I can't wait to see this thing rolling again!

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

EatMySpork posted:

I'll post my results here. At the very least I will build a prototype that makes it on the car.

I think there's a company making reproduction rear spoilers for that car, they're like $475 though...

http://www.superbirdbob.com/acme-products/6667-charger-rear-spoiler/

Speaking of chin spoilers, check out SpoilersByRandy.com - he makes actual metal parts, and they're pretty nice. I adapted one from a later Charger onto my '66, just to see how it would look. It's growing on me, but I'm not yet completely sold on it. The part, however, is nice - especially for $175.00.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

jhcain posted:

Speaking of chin spoilers, check out SpoilersByRandy.com - he makes actual metal parts, and they're pretty nice. I adapted one from a later Charger onto my '66, just to see how it would look. It's growing on me, but I'm not yet completely sold on it. The part, however, is nice - especially for $175.00.

Awesome, I have it bookmarked. Things are moving along. I finished those brakes and I'm rebuilding the rear end. I'm pulling the front end apart next week and getting it all prepped to put the drive train together on our rolling carriage.

I'm also ordering a steering box from Borgeson. It will add a stiffer modern turn feel and its lighter. http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/Mopar_Cars_196282-orderby_0-p-1-c-143.html

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Any updates?

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

Nothing major, I am going to be ordering this soon though. Then I'll put the drive train together.

http://www.qa1.net/suspension/street-performance-racing-suspension-components/mopar-k-members

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
Still working. Just moved into a new house. Still trying to get everything situated.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Keen to see all those shiny new parts come together!

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
I'm thinking about going EFI. I would have to have a in tank fuel pump though. They make a tank with the pump and sending unit for like $500 plus like 1.5k for the EFI system. I think I'm going to go for it.

You have to run a return line back to the tank to prevent vapor lock on most cars, thankfully they had a problem with 440 and 426 cars vapor locking and equipped them with a return line. Since my car is factory 440 it already has the line. Though replacing it probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'm still piecing together the front end stuff, nothing too picture worthy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

From the research i've done, most of the EFI manufacturers suggest replacing the stock line anyways.edebrock makes a small tank that goes under the hood and has the pump in that tank to keep all modifications under the hood and leave everything else stock.

Which EFI kit are you thinking of going with?

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
I haven't really decided. I was talking to a guy this weekend at a car show who had the MSD kit on his Satellite. He said his worked pretty well.

Is this the one?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/36052/10002/-1?parentProductId=3018094

EatMySpork fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 30, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, I think MSD has one that's larger, designed to fill the whole 1/4 wheel well that adds a 5 gallon reserve too.

A good idea for a 10mpg car with a 19 or 21 gallon tank.

They all seem to be about level, but i don't think i've ever seen a kit for $1500.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

Powershift posted:

Yeah, I think MSD has one that's larger, designed to fill the whole 1/4 wheel well that adds a 5 gallon reserve too.

A good idea for a 10mpg car with a 19 or 21 gallon tank.

They all seem to be about level, but i don't think i've ever seen a kit for $1500.

It's entirely possible I'm pulling that number out of my rear end. Looks like the MSD is 2k. 2.5 with their fuel stuff.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
If you want to go for a clean install, there's a few companies that offer "stealth" fuel pumps. You cut a hole in the tank, then slide the assembly in with a new retainer ring, and they work as a baffle too.

Also check the size of the return line. Lots of carbed cars have too small of a return line which makes for an unhappy pump and rising fuel temp when coupled with the pressure and flow of an efi system.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Yeah, I'd say you need a return close to the same size as the supply, depending.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

mafoose posted:

If you want to go for a clean install, there's a few companies that offer "stealth" fuel pumps. You cut a hole in the tank, then slide the assembly in with a new retainer ring, and they work as a baffle too.

Also check the size of the return line. Lots of carbed cars have too small of a return line which makes for an unhappy pump and rising fuel temp when coupled with the pressure and flow of an efi system.

Yes I like this idea. There's a company that makes a tank with everything ready to go that's in the same price range as most kits.

http://www.yogisinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=16421/category_id=2545/mode=prod/prd16421.htm

I'll make sure I have enough line going back to the tank.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I like the chin spoiler with just Charger R/T in the old script.
Drop the Dodge - similar to the Jav that was posted.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mafoose posted:

If they have a return line at all. On my C10 the original supply line fitting at the tank has been repurposed for return, but the rest of the line itself was abandoned (since it ran up the passenger side and the LS1 fuel is all driver's side).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you don't mind doing TBI instead of true MPFI you could probably make GM TBI work on that thing. It's dirt simple, works, rarely fails, and amounts to a computer-controlled carb that doesn't suck like most e-carbs do. Wouldn't get in the way of going to a professionally designed MPFI setup in the future either.

Very, very common swap on AMC 304s/360s/401s in Jeeps by people who don't like carbs but don't want to try and either bodge together an MPFI swap using things off something else, or spend 4 figures on an aftermarket EFI kit.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

It works pretty well if you're not looking for over like 250 horsepower.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

wallaka posted:

It works pretty well if you're not looking for over like 250 horsepower.

The TBI modules from a 454 are bigger than the other ones, so I wonder what you could do with two of them on a 2x4bbl intake. I'd bet it wouldn't really be worth it compared to other aftermarket stuff, but it might work out if you have the manifold laying around already.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I remember part (if not all?) of the problem with high power TBI is fuel supply - you only have two giant injectors that have to work at all engine loads.

Could do dual-TBI instead of dual-quads, though :getin:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

Could do dual-TBI instead of dual-quads, though :getin:

summon not the beast, for it shall wreak its dark magic upon your mind

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
I used a 4 V Holley throttle body (roughly 900 cfm?) from eBay on a very stout Windsor stroker a few years ago. Pretty easy to couple with megasquirt. Locked the timing at the distributor, and was able to tune fuel and spark.

Worked well for me- looked very stock under a regular air cleanse on an edelbrock performer RPM intake, and that's the appearance I wanted. I'd say it not too inferior to the FAST EZ-EFI 2.0 I used on a subsequent 440 build.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
I'll probably start ordering what I need to set up the EFI soon. I'm not 100% on which kit yet. Why do it cheaper and easier when you make make it more expensive and more difficult. I think I will like the end result better though.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
The car is coming together, I've been ordering more stuff and getting it together. I'll have some pics soon.

Penskecat
Aug 26, 2005

EatMySpork posted:

The car is coming together, I've been ordering more stuff and getting it together. I'll have some pics soon.

Looking forward to it! Looks great. Did you ever figure out your front spoiler? If so, I missed it. I just put one of these on my Duster and jhcain has one on his '66.

http://www.spoilersbyrandy.com/Pages/6869Chargerspoiler.aspx

Penskecat fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 27, 2016

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

Penskecat posted:

Looking forward to it! Looks great. Did you ever figure out your front spoiler? If so, I missed it. I just put one of these on my Duster and jhcain has one on his '66.

http://www.spoilersbyrandy.com/Pages/6869Chargerspoiler.aspx

I wouldn't say I've figured it out. I've still got the one I've designed in cad but I haven't cut a prototype yet. I probably won't mess with it until the end.

I have seen that one and I do think it looks good. I just figured I could save myself the $200

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
Things are coming together, lots of new stuff! I'll get some updated pics soon.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

EatMySpork posted:

I do still have that paint job, just realized I didn't add any good ones of it painted, duh. I have maybe 10-15k in it. I don't have the exact number but that's probably a pretty close number.

Gorgeous paint job, those 68-69 Chargers are my favorite body style outside Camaros of that era

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Beautiful paint work. My '68 had bright orange (think Dukes of Hazard) and I was too poor to repaint it before I eventually sold it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Someone mentioned the evil cross fire, the system so evil it lowers the price of any car having it by $2,000. I am pleased.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I love that your motor is kept indoors.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I had no interest in the Agents of Shield show until I saw this.

Ghost Rider Charger. gently caress yes. (69 I know but still awesome)

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.
Neither did I, but I do now!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The skull look weird to anyone else? Like it's too big or something? Everything else looks rad, even your latest update! :buddy:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AFewBricksShy posted:

I had no interest in the Agents of Shield show until I saw this.

Ghost Rider Charger. gently caress yes. (69 I know but still awesome)

Uhhh someone fix his carb
its hella backfiring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

scuz posted:

The skull look weird to anyone else? Like it's too big or something? Everything else looks rad, even your latest update! :buddy:

It looks too big because it is too big. The mandible is way too wide-set while the maxilla is way too narrow and the whole thing has been extended up and down. They likely did it to give him a kind of evil grin (like how they reshaped the ocular cavities to make his eyes narrowed).

Dude needs to chill with the burnouts, too. Tire's aren't cheap!

• Locked thread