Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Is there anything better than that guard jumping into the dumpster of his own accord? Just SCREW DIS! I'M OUDDA HEAH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This game looks like a real dog.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Do you think "Catwoman" got that weird chain-bra specially made, or did she find it at like a Goodwill? I'm really interested in the expanded "Catwoman" universe here.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

Is there an approved drinking game rules for this?

Drink a shot of espresso every time Anthony tells a story about his grandma. :getin:

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
It's nice the game didn't try and force background music on you, leaving you to your confusing, poorly controlled platforming in meditative silence.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Dilb posted:

It's nice the game didn't try and force background music on you, leaving you to your confusing, poorly controlled platforming in meditative silence.

It allows the game to be just quiet enough to tell when Catwoman's said something stupid, while thankfully making what exact stupid thing she said hard to make out. Small mercies.

Archaedes
Nov 3, 2013

AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
I think I speak for everyone when I say that this is going to be the cat's meow!

Heh, heh, heh. :suicide:

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

The guard just giving up on the game and diving into the dumpster himself was the highlight so far. Let's hope the game continues to just throw up its hands when players can't seem to figure out what to do and play the game for them in comical fashion.

This is actually, no joke, a surprisingly well-thought-through part of the game, perhaps the most considerate element I've ever seen in a licensed game. Most of the time developers would ignore dozens of bug reports from QA that the guy gets stuck in a corner or he falls through the earth or flies off into the sky or doesn't do anything when kicked, and then they close them one after the other with a "passed certification; did not fix". This happens all the time. Every game ever made with any significant QA has hundreds of these. But they put in a timer, and put in a special animation to have the guy jump in the dumpster, so no matter what, the flag is set and you can move on. It's something really impressive that is easy to dismiss or ignore. Plus it's hilarious. So kudos to Argonaut Games; you guys made terrible games and the world is better now that the company's defunct, but this game has a good feature.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

The Wizard of Oz posted:

This is actually, no joke, a surprisingly well-thought-through part of the game, perhaps the most considerate element I've ever seen in a licensed game. Most of the time developers would ignore dozens of bug reports from QA that the guy gets stuck in a corner or he falls through the earth or flies off into the sky or doesn't do anything when kicked, and then they close them one after the other with a "passed certification; did not fix". This happens all the time. Every game ever made with any significant QA has hundreds of these. But they put in a timer, and put in a special animation to have the guy jump in the dumpster, so no matter what, the flag is set and you can move on. It's something really impressive that is easy to dismiss or ignore. Plus it's hilarious. So kudos to Argonaut Games; you guys made terrible games and the world is better now that the company's defunct, but this game has a good feature.
Agreed. I laughed, and then was amazed at how great that was. It even makes sense in the game, cause the poor guy was just constantly getting thrown into boxes.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

I don't see how this is any different than Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Do you think "Catwoman" got that weird chain-bra specially made, or did she find it at like a Goodwill? I'm really interested in the expanded "Catwoman" universe here.

She was bitten by a radioactive fetish store.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
As someone who has seen the movie, I am hoping for a club level where you can order milk and dance while in costume.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Well guys, in honor of "Caturday" (Cat + Saturday), have another episode of Catwoman!

Two days after her famous jewel heist, Catwoman has been pursuing her feline friend, Midnight. While she pursues her pet, the police pursue her in the ultimate game of cat, cat, and cat. Catwoman slips away into a junkyard where she is either still trying to find her cat or stop the main antagonist. Can Catwoman accomplish her goals, whatever they may be? Is Midnight tormenting the foreman of the junkyard in some hilarious odd-couple scenario? Watch and find out!

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 20, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Off topic but Ride to Hell got pulled from Steam. Guess Jake didn't have nine lives.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Dilb posted:

I went back to try to get more money for upgrades, and it seems that the way the music is programmed is that it plays one music file at the start of the map, and eventually it runs out and you're left in silence.

Rirse posted:

Off topic but Ride to Hell got pulled from Steam. Guess Jake didn't have nine lives.

There's only one thing I can think of in response to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmRuAKg8OXg Thank god we 100%'d it so the world wouldn't be deprived due to Steam's draconian policies.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
"Hey, what's with the getup, LAYde?"

15 minutes later, all his bones are just shattered as he gets kicked into the closed door for the 20th time.

This game really highlights for me how really amazingly good a job in the Arkham series making batman look powerful but agile. It's so, so hard to have a character who's supposed to be very collected and athletic not look like... well, this, when controlled by a human.

Cue catwoman leaping from a perch, trying to whip back on to the bar immediately, falling three stories, and half-crouching 20 times.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 20, 2014

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious Dish posted:

One of her friends bought her some sort of dominatrix outfit for her birthday. Someone who's seen the movie can correct me/clarify, I've only listened to podcasts making fun of it.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Catwoman kicks a guy into a dumpster. You won't believe what happens next.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Rirse posted:

:catstare:

Meow it's purrsonal.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I'm eagerly looking forward to the Men Drinking Coffee iRiff of Catwoman in the future :allears: Too bad it'll have 100% less dumpster diving cops.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I think the saddest part is that, at its core, this game is a bad ripoff of Bloodrayne 2. Bloodrayne 2 even had the "knock guys into stuff to progress" mechanic, only they did the sensible thing and just spawned weak enemies until you were able to do it, rather than having them turn gold and kill themselves.

EDIT: I also love whenever a piece of Batman-related media has to explain Catwoman's origin story. She never had an official one in the comics, so it's always just "I dunno...cats and stuff."

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rocketlex posted:

I think the saddest part is that, at its core, this game is a bad ripoff of Bloodrayne 2. Bloodrayne 2 even had the "knock guys into stuff to progress" mechanic, only they did the sensible thing and just spawned weak enemies until you were able to do it, rather than having them turn gold and kill themselves.

EDIT: I also love whenever a piece of Batman-related media has to explain Catwoman's origin story. She never had an official one in the comics, so it's always just "I dunno...cats and stuff."

Yeah, I think they tried to connect this with the Batman Returns origin story for Catwoman. Dark Knight Rises has a lot of issues, but at least Catwoman was just some lady who wears a mask and her goggles look like cat ears when they are not in use.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
These environmental kills are great. What's better, these, or the ones in Ride to Hell?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess they weren't able to animate the part in the movie where that cat breathes some kind of magical powers into her mouth, while poorly animated CGI cats surround her.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Rirse posted:

Yeah, I think they tried to connect this with the Batman Returns origin story for Catwoman.

The movie was originally going to be a spin off from Barman Returns but it got caught in the giant clustering that happened between Tim Burton and Warner Brothers that lead to him leaving the franchise. The film wound up being shelve for the next twelve years when Superhero movies started making their big comeback following the success of the first two Spiderman and X-men movie.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Catwomen is kind of sadistic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rocketlex posted:

She... does have one in the comics, though? Her mother killed herself, her dad was a drunk, so she ended up on the street, stealing to make ends meet, and depending on the version you're reading, eventually started turning tricks/working as a dominatrix or tried to and chickened out at the last minute, before doing the usual 'train under a mysterious mentor' bit and becoming the world's greatest burglar. The cat motif was a combo of her mum's love of them and well... hot dude dressed up like a bat in the evening papers, seemed like a good idea at the time.

Gestalt Illusion
May 28, 2013

Lack of musicThe amazing atmospheric OST adds to the horror of the scene where Catwoman feeds the police to the machine.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

This wildcat is pulling off a domino.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kicking those hardworking innocent security guards into a horrible machine of death was hilarious.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

I guess we're all making gifs.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I love gifs!!!!!!!!! I added them to the second OP. Thanks! This is why we LP, not because of the games, but because of all the tasters.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The internet loves catwoman gifs. It's a rule.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Loki_XLII posted:

These environmental kills are great. What's better, these, or the ones in Ride to Hell?
It's a close call, but I think this one edges out because the bad guys do it to themselves if Catwoman takes too long. You wouldn't see the 1% ever inflict self pain onto themselves.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rocketlex posted:

Bloodrayne 2 also felt like a cartoon parody version of itself compared to 1, which I think could improve a Catwoman game like this. All the dumpster action, but with even weirder faces on the guys.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!
Catwoman truly is the secret to time travel. The first guy she kicked is right now in September 27th.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

So did you dorks take Dark and Spelunky and the Ride to Hell DLC off Twitch, or was that on some other service? Or maybe Twitch deletes videos after awhile, because you know those hard drives, they just keep getting more expensive and smaller. 3.8 cents a gigabyte for a consumer drive that's a mere 4TB! Madness.

I just realised that "Yank his weapon clean out of his hands!" is supposed to be innuendo. See, that's what marks a true classic of any literature - you got to think about it for awhile to suss out the hidden treasures, like a cat trying to get a treat that's stuck in the corner.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I think I figured out what happens when you beat up the guys too much. They turn yellow, which some folks might see as being the old calling someone yellow=calling them a coward. But I think it's a bit cleverer than that. Catwoman has her catsense which allows her to catfigure out where her cat has gone, but I think it also allows her to know when guys have pissed themselves in fear, which is manifested in a yellow aura surrounding their bodies. Thanks, catsense!

Also, has anyone come up with a logical reason for why throwing those guys into that horrible car shredding machine worked to open the door?

The Wizard of Oz posted:

I do agree it was nice of the developers to implement this system, seeing as how drat hard it seems to be to control the game and actually get the guys to where you want them to go.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

I do agree it was nice of the developers to implement this system, seeing as how drat hard it seems to be to control the game and actually get the guys to where you want them to go.

I think I have to retract that! I remembered him jumping into the can in a different shot, like every time you put guys in cans or boxes or holes or windows or doors. That would allow them to teleport the guy to the start of the animation and it wouldn't look quite as seamful. But it seems they have to run to the position to jump into the can before they can do so, so that guy behind the car crusher would never have been able to commit suicide without assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014
Since you were kicking the trash(talking guys) into dumpsters, I think it's safe to say you will never, ever, get away from collecting garbage in video games.

• Locked thread