Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Premere: October 6th!

Yowapeda (Yowamushi Pedal) GRANDE ROAD is the continuation of the world's best cycling manga adaptation (Season 1 thread here!). In this show bikes are not just convenient transportation but powerful vehicles powered by FIGHTING SPIRIT and FRIENDSHIP. While it doesn't deviate much from the usual sports show formula, it is exceptionally good at it. It offers plenty of excitement, charm, and humor, and a huge, likable cast.

Oh, and according to friendly bike goon it's actually faithful to bike racing, at least spirit wise.

tylertfb posted:

The way the race tactics are portrayed are mostly wildly unreal but the spirit of the whole thing is pretty much right on the money. Competitive cycling is a weird hybrid of individual performance and total teamwork, and the manga really manages to convey the feeling of riding yourself into the ground in service of your team leader, of wanting to push yourself past your limit, of hurting yourself to hurt other people, of temporary alliances that everybody gives their all to, even knowing that they are going to end in complete betrayal. So even if 'blocking' is not nearly as big of a thing as it is in the manga/show, and even if there is no way the three top sprinters go away from the peloton on a long distance breakaway and so forth and so forth, I'd say it gets the 'feeling' of competitive cycling almost exactly right. The bikes and other gear are also very faithful to the real things too.

Currently the show is in the middle of the inter-high, a three day race that's been going on for the past 16 episodes. Yea, it's a slow pace, but every episode has focused on a different character and it's fun watching all those stories intersect. The last season ended at a weird spot, but thankfully this season should take us all the way to end of the race!

It's been a crowded year for sports anime, between Ping Pong The Animation (which everyone should watch!), Haikyū!!, Baby Steps, and Free! Eternal Summer. Yowapeda might not be as pretty as most of those, but it still manages to stand out. If that sounds like your kind of thing, check out the first season, which is available on Cunrchyroll. And make sure to stay after the credits! Every episode gets an after credits skit.

Sohoku High Bicycle Club

Our plucky main team and home to our protagonist.

Sakamichi Onoda is an otaku who throughout middle school biked a 90km round trip to Akihabara, a side effect of which is that he got really good at cycling. Recruited by the Bicycle Club basically against his will, he goes on to not only learn how race up hills, but also make friends! :buddy: Giant dork and shy, but with FIERCE DETERMINATION! Power animal: Princess.

Shunsuke Imaizumi is an all-around cyclist who spotted Onoda and first tried to get him to join. Giant dork with a serious demeanor, has been discovering the value of TEAMWORK! Power animal: Usagi.

Naruko Shoukichi is the FASTEST and COOLEST. Is the one who actually finally convinces Onoda to join the cycling club. Giant dork and flashy, but knows a thing or two about FRIENDSHIP! Power animal: Tiger.

Shingo Kinjou is the captain of the team and wears DORKY SUNGLASSES. Power animal: Snake.

Yuusuke Makishima is a third year with a weird climbing style where he dances side to side and even weirder hair. People think he's creepy but he's actually a dorky sweetheart. Inexplicably popular in character polls. Power animal: Spider.

Jin Tadokoro is a third year sprinter and paragon of manliness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw6jay1etsw

Amazing lung capacity. Power animal: Bear.

Junta Teshima (right) and Hajime Aoyagi (left) are the second years who are never seen apart. Junta isn't a very good cyclist but gives it his all for the sake of the talented (yet not really bright) Hajime. Hajime doesn't talk much, but it doesn't really matter because Junta can read his mind.

Terufumi Sugimoto is an experienced cyclist.

Hakone Academy Bicycle Club

Sohoku's closest rivals, a super strong team that claims that every member is an ace. Strong enough characters to carry the series by themselves if they had to, oh, and I guess they actually are the main team in the spinoff Spare Bike.

Juichi Fukutomi is Hakone's team capitan. SUPER INTENSE! Secretly dating on the Sohoku team: Kinjou.

Jinpachi Toudou is a third-year climber and obnoxious pretty boy. Secretly dating on the Sohoku team: Makishima.

Yasutomo Arakita is a third-year all rounder bicycle delinquent. Secretly dating: his tragic sports past.

Touichirou Izumida is a second-year ace sprinter. Secretly dating: his own pectorals, nicknamed Andy and Frank.

Hayato Shinkai is a third-year sprinter with a quiet demonor who suddenly turns nuts when he actually starts racing. Secretly dating: Power Bar.

Sangaku Manami is a first-year who is weirdly chill for Hakone, and is the Kaworu to Onoda's Shinij.

Kyoto Fushimi Bicycle Club

Nemesis to all that is good and holy.

Akira Midousuji is the main antagonist and practices psychological warfare in order to win. Is actually a lizard. Hates gross things like FIGHTING SPIRIT and TEAMWORK and will pave a path to victory on his allies corpuses.

The rest of Kyoto Fushimi is basically defined by how much or how little they like Midousuji and will tolerate his madness in order to win, but that's okay because Midousuji is so much fun to hate on his own.

Girls

Miki Kanzaki fulfills the fine tradition of cute girls tagging along in sports anime for some reason as a manager. Knows a lot about bikes and is girly.

Tachibana Aya is taking none of your poo poo.

Miyahara is the girl Manami is ignoring in order to be gay with bikes.

Mr. Pierre, he's the coach? We never see him do anything why is he here. What do you do??

What else?

Like many shows with huge woman fanbases, Yowamushi Pedal got itself a very successful stage show. It's terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F70A6oPNOeI

The sponsor messages don't make it into the Crunchyroll streams, which is a loving shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFS0zvGsEI0

And that's it! Check out this show y'all!

devtesla fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Junta Teshima (left) and Hajime Aoyagi (right) are the second years who are never seen apart. Junta isn't a very good cyclist but gives it his all for the sake of the talented (yet not really bright) Hajime. Hajime doesn't talk much, but it doesn't really matter because Junta can read his mind.

I think you might want to swap the left/right here.

I'm pretty excited for season two of this. It's actually the first sports anime I ever watched and I love it. I tried Baby Steps and Haikyuu, but eventually dropped them because they just weren't quite my thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I'm flattered, really.

Also, in addition to glomkettle's note, Andy and Frank are Izumida's pecs, not his ABS...ABS...ABS...ABS...ABS!

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
I can't wait for October :allears:

Also, since watching the series and getting a bit more into cycling, it's fantastic the attention to detail, like the quote in the OP says. The gesture Shinkai makes in that gif is how pro cyclist Alberto Contador celebrates :3:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the corrections!

glomkettle posted:

I'm pretty excited for season two of this. It's actually the first sports anime I ever watched and I love it. I tried Baby Steps and Haikyuu, but eventually dropped them because they just weren't quite my thing.

Have you tried Ping Pong The Animation?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chihayafuru and Ping Pong are both pro recommendations for great sports anime.

For something more in the vein of Yowamushi Pedal I highly recommend Hajime no Ippo. There are a lot of parallels between the two shows despite focusing on separate sports!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Mr. Pierre kinda freaks me right the hell out for some reason. Does anyone else react that way or is it just me?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
My hope is that when whatever demonic entity that is present in Midousuji finally reveals itself, Mr. Pierre will out himself as its opposing celestial power.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Needs more dead rabbit tragedy.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I'm so excited to see the first episode detailing the next 500m in the interhigh.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gnossiennes posted:

I'm so excited to see the first episode detailing the next 500m in the interhigh.

Same.

Edit:

boom boom boom posted:

I'm waiting for the episode which shows every character's perspective on covering the ten feet before the last 5 feet before the finish line.

Also same.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 23, 2014

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm waiting for the episode which shows every character's perspective on covering the ten feet before the last 5 feet before the finish line.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

boom boom boom posted:

Gnossiennes posted:

These but unironically.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I'm just ready for more Makishima. Give me all the Makishima.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

HIME
HIME
SPOOKY SPOOKY DAI-SPOOKY

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Less than two days!! Are you ready?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The Devil Tesla posted:

Less than two days!! Are you ready?

No I forgot it was coming back and now I only have two days to rewatch all of season one.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

So excited to hear Miki-chan's one and only line again -- "Onoda-kun."

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode owned. Like we expected it's just picking up where it left off but it still completely nailed every story beat and was generally hype as hell. Looked gorgeous too, I think they got a budget increase. After credits scene is one of the best so far.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

The watermelon scene was beautiful.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
It's back! Hooray for burning passionate pedaling! :neckbeard:

It is somewhat nice to know that Midosuji isn't so opposed to the idea of teamwork that he sabotages himself. Of course, the after-credits scene reminds us that he is a vile darkness borne of maggots, but I suppose most wouldn't have it any other way.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Devil Tesla posted:

Jin Tadokoro is a third year sprinter and paragon of manliness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw6jay1etsw

Amazing lung capacity. Power animal: Bear.

I was just checking this thread by pure accident and I saw this. This loving killed me. Are there any more endearingly stupid and yet surprisingly cool moments such as this one? Is this a feel-good show?

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Wark Say posted:

I was just checking this thread by pure accident and I saw this. This loving killed me. Are there any more endearingly stupid and yet surprisingly cool moments such as this one? Is this a feel-good show?

Yes to both questions.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Imaizumi is gettin' tough. :black101:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Jesus christ that watermelon scene. The timing of that splash on the braces-dude's face was loving perfection.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
Confirmed after credits best yet. Really looking forward to the next (?) episodes to wrap up the second day of the race...

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
This season clearly has to go beyond this InterHigh because the OP and ED heavily feature this team from Hiroshima, which hasn't even appeared before now.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Neeksy posted:

This season clearly has to go beyond this InterHigh because the OP and ED heavily feature this team from Hiroshima, which hasn't even appeared before now.

There's still the third day dude.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Midousuji will finally burst out of his skin next episode.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can't get over how good the show looks this season, with extra flair and grit and none of charm lost. The break has been good to it.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Throbbing dude thighs? Get real OP.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
That was a lot of balsamic vinager!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
An ace battle at 44 minutes per kilometer. These kids are truly breaking records in cycling. And space-time.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Somehow moving blisteringly fast, while also having enough time for hour-long conversations.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Y'all are weak if that phases you at this point.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
No. I am Truly Strong.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Why one of the guys is so ripped? Aren't they cyclists? Why would they need to be chiseled from marble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ManOfTheYear posted:

Why one of the guys is so ripped? Aren't they cyclists? Why would they need to be chiseled from marble?

because abs ABS ABS

• Locked thread