Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Here's a real question: how can you be more interested in the race itself which only serves as a framing device with which to tell the stories of the characters?

Here is what happens in the interhigh race: The character's who have gotten the most screentime in the anime continue to get the most screentime and compete against each other, in a close race, to the finish, and the winner is just whoever the mangaka decided will win this round. The only excitement in the race itself is determining whether Onoda and his friends will win THIS ACTUAL RACE or if it's just a buildup for them to win a different race later. It's much less interesting than almost everything else that's going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Because the race is a more interesting way to reveal stuff about Arakita's character than learning literally nothing about him because we already knew he was a disaffected loser who joined the team at ol' Stoneface's insistence, and that they became loyal friends and biking made him a better person.

We knew all of that. I am also not a fan of flashbacks as a story device at all. If this was our first time learning about the guy in this way I wouldn't complain. But we have, so I am.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The captain of Hakkone could ride even faster than the prized scooter which was the symbol of his freedom

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I like Arakita because he was the first anime i've ever seen who got mad at getting poke instead of bepsi.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
my friend is working for a clothing company and trying to roll out a line of shirts with the fake anime brands like Bepsi and WcDonald's

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

paragon1 posted:

Because the race is a more interesting way to reveal stuff about Arakita's character than learning literally nothing about him because we already knew he was a disaffected loser who joined the team at ol' Stoneface's insistence, and that they became loyal friends and biking made him a better person.

We knew all of that. I am also not a fan of flashbacks as a story device at all. If this was our first time learning about the guy in this way I wouldn't complain. But we have, so I am.

They can't all be Chihayafuru, I'm afraid.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

They can't all be Chihayafuru, I'm afraid.

Chihayafuru, the anime that spends the first five episodes on flashbacks.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

Chihayafuru, the anime that spends the first five episodes on flashbacks.

First 3, but it does that setup early on rather than suddenly trying to develop them 20-episodes in. Also less repetitively.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

So will everyone get a memorial episode when they fall out of the running?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gnossiennes posted:

So will everyone get a memorial episode when they fall out of the running?

:pray:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I really dig how they showed us Midousuji's flashback story and then decided to just keep him as wonderfully creepy as ever. Like they went, "Welp he's been permanently warped. Whatever" and just rolled with it.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
I liked the post credits. :v:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
RIP abs :(

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I have a feeling this consequences of this strategy will come back to haunt Hakone!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Yeah, when Onoda starts singing "Hime Hime" and leads the whole team as they sprint past Hakone.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No episode this week! Fill the gaping void left by no bike boys with the last episode of bathtub merman.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

No episode this week! Fill the gaping void left by no bike boys with the last episode of bathtub merman.

I've unabashedly enjoyed Bathtub Moe Men, but it's still no replacement for pure bicycling hype and spirit. I guess I could finish watching Free or Haikyuu to get my fill of josei-targeted sports anime.

I'm actually rewatching the first season of yowapeda. I never rewatch ANYTHING.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh god, I don't think even I could do that. Read the manga, it's really good.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Going shopping with my bike baes. I'm only posting this because I can't get over Manami's walk.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Have any more issues of the manga been translated? I haven't been keeping up. Is it on a fairly regular release schedule?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It comes out by the volume, so weeks of nothing and then suddenly nine! Probably the best way to read it too.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Sick, thank you

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Try and tell me he doesn't look JUST like an EVA unit here

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
lmao and then right after that he chomps on a powerbar like when 01 goes berserk and eats the other Eva

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Holy poo poo.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Midosweetie, if you can call the other kids punny names like Yowaizumi, they can call you Kimosuji.

but yeah, that is like eva unit central right there and that is hilarious.

:allears: Midousuji :kimchi:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

yeah Onoda that's totally what their butts said

also KINJOUUUUUUUU nooooo

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh man that post-credits bit :roflolmao:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was a glorious half hour of grunting and screaming. I mean, even more so than usual.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Oh man, I can't wait for next week's episode. This week ended right before such a great scene, it's going to be amazing.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Weren't they like, 100m before the mountain entrance last week?

I'm still stunned by the leisurely speed of Yowapeda road racing.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I live for the post-credits gags.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
SWITCHING TO LOOOOWWWWEER HHHHAAANNNDDLLLLESSSSS

Neeksy posted:

I live for the post-credits gags.

That was really one of the best.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
OMG a whole new volume of translations just came out today

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

OMG a whole new volume of translations just came out today

How I felt when reading this volume.

E: I just love this guy's style, everything about it. It's so good.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I love that when Onoda's mom finally got stoked for him he started illustrating her in a non superdeformed style

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I love that when Onoda's mom finally got stoked for him he started illustrating her in a non superdeformed style

I even love the slice of life-y parts having really lovely art because it just makes the jump in quality during intense parts that much stronger.

drat, this was a great volume.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bike or die!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

In the wake of the first Akira disaster, a bunch of beautiful gay boys raced bikes

• Locked thread