Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Seriously, that convo between Class Rep and Onoda's mom piled on the "Japan's institutionalized misogyny problem" pretty hard. Just like how Kanzaki is OBSESSED WITH BIKES and KNOWS EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM and has a rich family tradition of cycling sports and owns a bike shop and yet we've never seen her so much as TOUCH a bike. Her sole purpose on the team is swoon breathlessly at all of the manful shounen spirit and explain cycling to 'token bitchface friendTM'.

I get that it's as much of a trope as Onoda's constant, nonsensical embarrassment and lack of understanding- even after the entirety of the show so far- but it still grates me.

The funny thing is how women are such a large portion of the audience when it comes to these "boys competing earnestly against each other" shonen sports manga in spite of that

I wonder if there's a male counterpart of the "mostly superfluous vaguely romantic highly expository" girl in shoujo sports manga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread