Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I'm flattered, really.

Also, in addition to glomkettle's note, Andy and Frank are Izumida's pecs, not his ABS...ABS...ABS...ABS...ABS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
My hope is that when whatever demonic entity that is present in Midousuji finally reveals itself, Mr. Pierre will out himself as its opposing celestial power.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
An ace battle at 44 minutes per kilometer. These kids are truly breaking records in cycling. And space-time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
No. I am Truly Strong.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I don't know what y'all are talking about, competitive cyclists tend to be in pretty good shape.

And visible muscle definition is more about decreasing body fat than building muscle anyway.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Knowing the logic of this show, everyone's gonna be ok with it too.

One of our athletes needs supplies from the pharmacy? Sure, why don't we let one of our other racers bike out and fetch them for us? It's not like he needs to recuperate and prepare for tomorrow's final stage. He's probably not massively exhausted and super vulnerable to injury right now. Aftercare? Physical therapy? Rest? He's fine! Look at him limping around!

We only have a team of knowledgable support people- including at least two adults with access to a van- whose job it is to do exactly that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, he'll probably just end up having another impossibly gay moment with Manami or something.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Was the Royal Army Crimson Unit 02 thing a couched Gundam reference or is there something I'm missing here? I'm assuming that identifying names were changed around enough for copyright/universe purposes (Scolt/Specializer/Glant bikes, etc) but we're supposed to get that Midousuji's basically calling himself the Char of Onoda's Zaku analogy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

People have speculated that it is actually a reference to the EVA Unit O2. The robot model is red and EVA spoiler The EVA contains the soul of its pilots dead mom

I had that thought when I saw it too. IMO, it's probably a mix of both.

And both Units 01 and 02 contain dead mom souls. But everyone knows that Unit 02 is by far the coolest, so it's only natural that Midousuji would pick it despite not wearing any red.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
That might be a new favorite post-credits scene.

Also, is it just me or did they soften Modousuji up a bit and make him less menacing in the intro along with giving him a haircut?

Also also, if Onoda doesn't get the whole pack Hime'ing along with him in a push for the front, I'm gonna be sad. Although if they just have him make Arakita sing that'd be cool too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I really dig how they showed us Midousuji's flashback story and then decided to just keep him as wonderfully creepy as ever. Like they went, "Welp he's been permanently warped. Whatever" and just rolled with it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

RIP Naruko, road so hard he fried his brain.

road so hard he went blind

is Imaizumi gonna die?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Episode Recap: Ishigaki reveals what fuels him (it's Stockholm syndrome) and Midousuji gets up close and personal with Manami's special kind of autism. Also Midousuji may/may not have shorn his pubes in sacrifice upon the altar of burning spirit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Valsu posted:

This was a really good episode. I'm so glad to see that Midousuji is out of the race. gently caress that guy. Onoda's mom annoys me though. How can you be so ignorant of what your kid does? Listen to the little poo poo when he's telling you what he's into.

Seriously, that convo between Class Rep and Onoda's mom piled on the "Japan's institutionalized misogyny problem" pretty hard. Just like how Kanzaki is OBSESSED WITH BIKES and KNOWS EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM and has a rich family tradition of cycling sports and owns a bike shop and yet we've never seen her so much as TOUCH a bike. Her sole purpose on the team is swoon breathlessly at all of the manful shounen spirit and explain cycling to 'token bitchface friendTM'.

I get that it's as much of a trope as Onoda's constant, nonsensical embarrassment and lack of understanding- even after the entirety of the show so far- but it still grates me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

big long feminist media criticism 101 post

Shut up, dude.

I just said that it was annoying me and that the Ms. Onoda/Class Rep talk was, like, extra annoying even for the genre.

I guess the Kanzaki thing does veer into "you're really talking about this now?" territory but I figured that the post-credits little girl fanservice went without saying. Whatever, :japan: I guess.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I wonder if there's a male counterpart of the "mostly superfluous vaguely romantic highly expository" girl in shoujo sports manga?

You mean like a harem manga? Are there any harem manga about girls' sports?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Shoujo manga is manga for girls. shoujo sports manga is manga for girls about sports. Not harem manga. I think if he meant harem manga he would've said harem manga, instead of shoujo sports manga.

I'm sorry- what I meant was: How could you have a shoujo manga with "a male counterpart of the 'mostly superfluous vaguely romantic highly expository' girl" without it turning into a harem manga? Is there seriously any other way?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

K. Flaps posted:

The male equivalent to boys being homosexual and playing sports is magical girl shows.

Kanzaki: the Tuxedo Mask of Yowamushi Pedal

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yeah that guy is called Speedwagon and he's in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

How does that work in Stardust Crusaders and everything after?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Different characters turn into the expository dialogue man based on the power level of the guys around them. In Stardust Crusaders, they take turns being the expository dialogue man except for Jotaro, who is strong and silent.

That's actually what I was thinking too. They certainly get the "vaguely romantic" part down.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Dude what the gently caress are you talking about? The characters in question are Miki Kanzaki and the girl with pig tails. Y'know, the ones who only show up to explain what's going on, marvel at how cool the main characters are, and imply that the main characters aren't gay. You can do that in a show about girl's sports. If you swapped the genders of all the characters in Yowamushi Pedal, it wouldn't suddenly turn into a harem manga centered around guy-miki.

Sorry that a joke broke your brain.

The least homoerotic Jojo's arcs are the 6th one in the women's prison and the 8th one where the main character looks like a caricature of a gay man

You mean the characters didn't look like caricatures of gay men in arcs 4, 5, and 7? No lie, I would unironically love to live in a world where any of the Jojo fashions were the norm. Especially Vento Aureo. The worst thing that the Club Kid scene did was die.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I made you guys some presents (from the best episode to air so far, aside from maybe the ones where Arakita just tears poo poo up):

*FYI, it's really easy to get great quality captures using the iOS Chrunchyroll app and the built-in screenshot feature.*

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

Actually the best episode is Midousuji's backstory because it went through all the motions of making someone relatable and sympathetic for a hosed up lizard man that you still didn't like when the episode was over but hated in a new, amazing ways.

Are you saying you don't like my GIFs? :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I try to channel Midousuji every time I work out.

If they made a decently priced Kyoto-Fushimi jersey I'd be all over it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is it over after this?

What the gently caress are going to do?

Anyone wanna go live out some vaguely-homosocial cycling adventures with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I especially liked seeing Midousuji's sexy ghost mom make an appearance in the post-credits card.

• Locked thread