Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bogan Krkic posted:

im glad wsw made it through and i hope they win the entire thing but i really hate two legged finals

wait what, the final is over two legs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Alex_R posted:

wait what, the final is over two legs?

lol yes its dumb as hell

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Any chance I can get an ATT invite from anyone? Let me know and we'll take it to PMs.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Rapner posted:

Any chance I can get an ATT invite from anyone? Let me know and we'll take it to PMs.

The Across the Tasman thing? I would but I only learnt about it yesterday. If I can sort it out I'll get in touch

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've sent an invite to Rapner and I've got a few left if anyone wants one

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

I would like one please

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
A-League is top top stuff

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bogan Krkic posted:

I've sent an invite to Rapner and I've got a few left if anyone wants one

dont send me one

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Alex_R posted:

dont send me one

ok

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

so according to Al Hilal fans on twitter im a wsw fan. I've been sending them this picture but they just don't get it.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
hahaha

i want wsw to win because they're an australian team but I know if they do all you're going to see is POPA IS A GENIUS etc etc despite as you have alluded to, he's a massive choker come finals time.

So on that note, i'd like to see them get thrashed to ensure normal service is resumed.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I just don't want to hear another round of how flare tossing, fan bashing thugs are the best fans in the a league and how everyone should be proud of them.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I read in the SMH that the league this year will start planning expansion with the various stakeholders.

Given Gallops "fish where the fish are" comment I'm thinking the next two teams will be in city areas not in regionals.

The first I think will be a South Brisbane playing out of QE II, which will add a Brisbane derby to the list and comes with a ready made large stadia. Sponsors would be available and derbys = TV ratings so the networks would fund it. QLD by rights should have another team by population, Townsville is too small and has failed, Sunshine coast is a bit spread out and suffers from lack of sponsors, and Gold Coast I think would struggle to sustain a third pro side in the region, Palmer fuckup notwithstanding.

I don't think there will be another team in NSW yet, the Wanderers need to bed their brand down further and Sydney FC isn't at the heights it probably should be. With the Mariners and Jest in the outer areas there are four teams in Greater Sydney - another one would lead to the cries of the "NSWSL" being reborn. Upon saying that I think the Wolves should rise again, but in a following round of expansion.

Tassie has no money but could be a consideration down the track, Adelaide potentially could have (and has had) another team, but I think not yet. Same for Perth, and the Glory have to get their poo poo together before we even consider another side there. Darwin too small and again without cash. Geelong could be a possibility, but again direct sponsors may be hard to find what with the major employer in Ford making GBS threads the biscuit.

The second expansion team I think will be a third team in Melbourne. Melbourne has plenty of sponsorships, potential supporters and hence TV ratings revenue. Melbourne isn't that much smaller in terms of population than the greater Sydney area. But I would not put them out of Aami or Etihad as a clone of the other two if possible. I would have it at least based out in the burbs, drawing on a tribal theme, but the problem I see is that all the decent stadia that could fit say 20K seats are pretty well much in the centre of town - unless we dig out an old suburban AFL ground?

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 3, 2014

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I think you are pretty well correct for the most part but I would imagine you would want to avoid putting a new team at a ground with a running track or an AFL ground because an initially small crowd being that far away from the pitch would probably cause disengagement and a loss of interest.

bootney_lee
Sep 10, 2009

Maybe time for another crack at a Canberra team?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

bootney_lee posted:

Maybe time for another crack at a Canberra team?

Wollongong could be a good place for it too.

bootney_lee
Sep 10, 2009

dsriggs posted:

Wollongong could be a good place for it too.

Thats what minisune was referring to by the Wolves rising again. And I think he makes a fair point too about how having 5 teams in and around Sydney would seem lopsided when there's only one in all of Queensland, etc.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I really do think the next NSW side will be the Wolves, but there won't be another NSW side this round. It all depends if the League want another "regional" side.

Canberra is a possibility, they do have a stadium and an immediate catchment of 400K people with Queanbeyan on par with Newcastle/Maitland. But the question would be sponsor dollars. The Raiders have gone broke twice and needed bailing out, and the Brumbies have hardly turned a dollar either. But if their financials are sound, they could be a real possibility if not this round then definitely one after.

But I still come back to the money, and TV money at that. More viewers in sports mad Melbourne and more in Brisbane seem to me more sought after than regional viewers at this stage. After that, and depending on how the money is, the League may entertain another "regional" side.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
National Premier League Final today.

Bonnyrigg White Eagles (NSW Premiers) vs North-Eastern MetroStars (SA Premiers)
Lambert Park, NSW.
4:00 Eastern kick-off
Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZQfCOEi_k

quote:

Bonnyrigg White Eagles
NSW Season Record - P:22, W:15, D:2, L:5, GD:+20

Quarter Finals - Defeated Cooma FC (ACT) 0-6
Semi Finals - Defeated Palm Beach Sharks (Qld) 1-0

North-Eastern MetroStars
SA Season Record - P:26, W:19, D:4, L:3, GD:+44

Quarter Finals - Defeated Bayswater City (WA) 0-0 (3-4)
Semi Finals - Defeated South Melbourne (Vic) 1-2

I threw $50 at the MetroStars, oh jeez... :ohdear:

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

dsriggs posted:

National Premier League Final today.

Bonnyrigg White Eagles (NSW Premiers) vs North-Eastern MetroStars (SA Premiers)
Lambert Park, NSW.
4:00 Eastern kick-off
Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZQfCOEi_k

I threw $50 at the MetroStars, oh jeez... :ohdear:

Well in

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Adnar posted:

Well in

:dance:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Any of the other Victory fans itt going to buy some of the shares that are up for sale? I've put my expression of interest in with Deloitte today for 200 shares ftw

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

Any of the other Victory fans itt going to buy some of the shares that are up for sale? I've put my expression of interest in with Deloitte today for 200 shares ftw

Thinking about it - I heard they were fairly pricey though.

Got my membership card today, gonna be behind the south end goal against the wanderers and poo poo is gonna own bones

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Yep mine finally came today as well. North end for me.

Also :lol:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6YB98TLqh8

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Tongues posted:

Thinking about it - I heard they were fairly pricey though.

Got my membership card today, gonna be behind the south end goal against the wanderers and poo poo is gonna own bones

That 200 is the minimum, and is $500. My card showed up too, just ga though because I'm not hardcore

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Shmoses posted:

Yep mine finally came today as well. North end for me.

Also :lol:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6YB98TLqh8

Yessss looks like I better buy an extra large hoody so I can cover my power gut.

Also, if anyone can find a highlight of the goals from the NPL granny yesterday I'll name my firstborn after you. Had a loving wedding and disgraced myself on the bar tab. Bride yelling at me and everything

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

That 200 is the minimum, and is $500. My card showed up too, just ga though because I'm not hardcore

If I buy enough I'm signing myself as a marquee

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Tongues posted:

Had a loving wedding and disgraced myself on the bar tab. Bride yelling at me and everything
I want to know more about this

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Shmoses posted:

I want to know more about this

Nothing to amazing really, got retarded on free piss destroyed the wedding cake gatecrashed the family photos and bled everywhere when I somehow gave myself a bloodnose. Moral of the story is don't invite excitable types just because you're friends of friends.

Also maybe don't invite dickheads like me if you're from a respectable religious family and you don't want someone stealing all the resort's stubby holders

All was forgiven in the morning because I'm a charming motherfucker and really I was on my best behaviour

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Honestly the worst bit is always that look of judgement from the missus in the morning right before they get into that whole "and then you said this, and then you did this" thing and by god you'll be hearing about it for some time

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Out of curiosity are you Craig Gower irl?

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Byolante posted:

Out of curiosity are you Craig Gower irl?

I'm trans-Gower and all my pronouns are "smash"

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So if you are a full member of the Allianz stadium does that mean you can watch all codes throughout the year?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Alex_R posted:

So if you are a full member of the Allianz stadium does that mean you can watch all codes throughout the year?

I believe so. And in some cases finals too.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Alex_R posted:

you also get access to their gym.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are the Jest going to miss out on the finals again this year?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

bowmore posted:

Are the Jest going to miss out on the finals again this year?

Most likely.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MiniSune posted:

Most likely.
Aw mannnn

bambus
May 10, 2009
Since there don't appear to be any City fans willing to come forward, here's my quick rundown on the team this season.

After a pretty uninspiring preseason, but it'll be interesting to see what we can manage with the new lineup and influence of the new owners. Koren, Duff and Villa are new international additions, and there's talk that Josh Kennedy will take the domestic marquee spot when he finishes in Japan in January.

Coach JVT returned to replace Aloisi last season, and remains. Like Aloisi before him, he seems to be getting steadily more orange. Could be something in the water at La Trobe.

Best player will have to be David Villa, obviously, for the ten games (at most) we have him. Mooy looked decent in the preseason and I have a soft spot for Kisnorbo, who's captaining. Eric Paartalu will be a good addition too.

Most entertaining player is Mate Dugandzic, bless him. No one knows where he'll kick the ball, especially not Mate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fu2QrHGMj8
Inexplicably, he's still playing every game (and will probably keep his spot while Williams makes way for Villa).

Worst player is Iain Ramsay. Way overrated. Also sprays the ball all over the shop, but somehow not as endearingly as our Mate.

The Guardian has pretty good A-League coverage, and predict City will finish sixth, which I think is a reasonable bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Somebody do the Jest

• Locked thread