Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Figures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The power of the sauce bottle compells you

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

anyone got a stream for the melbourne city game?

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Woeful start from skyblues

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

anyone got a stream for the melbourne city game?

Wiziwig.tv has you covered

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Could say the same about the ground, slips everywhere.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Has Allianz recently had a flood? I don't think I've ever seen it so water logged.

And put a loving shot on target Sydney, you useless Muppets.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
gently caress the run of play, that was a brilliant goal from Gameiro, and suddenly we're not playing like poo poo anymore.

edit: poo poo

Arquebus fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 11, 2014

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Byolante posted:

The power of the sauce bottle compells you

It was the mustard bottle wot won it.

It was an average game that slowly got better, but not imply it reached any great heights. Still good vibe in the crowd which mostly went home happy, this Mane guy is top shelf and will bang in a shitload if fed properly. Mariners also by and large have a decent centre defence pairing, it was the more experienced Rose who seemed to be below par more than anything. To be fair to Cernack he's not a right back but boy Newy should have just run at him exclusively those last ten minutes. Mariners still suck in transition and wont win anything this year but could jag a final.

Walked in to that Gamerio goal, more quality there than in the entire previous game.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Sydney's defence is just abysmal and relies on the opposition being unable to hit the target.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
This davey villar guy seems like he is good at football

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Up the 'nix, woo. Go team.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Walking to the ground I can taste the football

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Gooooooooo you Reds Blacks!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

United all over 'em early. I could live with this style of play every week but it'll definitely test their fitness.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Djite says pick that out of the back of the net.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

1-1, now we're talking. Love ya Bruce!

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Roar will win

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
C'mon Kurtiši

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Probably. Broish is looking very threatening.

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
Shameful Donachie.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Matt Mackay Heart the Ref.

He must have said something pretty bad to turn a yellow into a straight red.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I always wish I knew what players said to get themselves red carded. Are there official FFA rules about what you can and can't call refs?

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
Disgraceful behaviour from McKay.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I always wish I knew what players said to get themselves red carded. Are there official FFA rules about what you can and can't call refs?

Competent?

Not sure, suspect it's anything that is highly offensive and aggressive or something.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think I prefer other sports' system, like Cricket, where the umpire reports it and then the player may get a fine. That way other people look at it and it prevents the ref from being a bit too precious on a given day.

Then again, they probably review the cards given in each game and Williams would say "he called me a cuntsicle" or what have you.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Byolante posted:

Roar will win

Sorry mate

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

I think I prefer other sports' system, like Cricket, where the umpire reports it and then the player may get a fine. That way other people look at it and it prevents the ref from being a bit too precious on a given day.

Then again, they probably review the cards given in each game and Williams would say "he called me a cuntsicle" or what have you.

Problem is FIFA. What you suggest there could only work with a formal video review like the other codes, and that's a total anathema to FIFA. The FFA would love to have a proper review system and to try things like you suggest, but FIFA won't allow squat.

If a player Muscatted someone and put a player out for six months, and the ref gave a yellow card, that's all that can happen. No further sanction as the ref "dealt with it".

If the Ref gives a red then a further penalty can be applied, if the Ref missed it, it may be dealt with after as well. Nobody knows for sure what would happen if the Ref saw it and waived play on.

It's all about "Protecting the integrity of the referee". Which is a horseshit excuse from FIFA.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Not sure if the ref was from Adelaide or merely being paid by them but that was a shocking performance

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Byolante posted:

Not sure if the ref was from Adelaide or merely being paid by them but that was a shocking performance

Fouls: 17-16 ADL - BRI
Yellow Cards: 4-1 ADL - BRI
Red Cards: 0-1 ADL - BRI

Williams has some howlers every game (not sure where he's from) and I think there were no real gamechangers from the ref.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MiniSune posted:

It's all about "Protecting the integrity of the referee". Which is a horseshit excuse from FIFA.

Ah yes, like all things it comes down to "gently caress FIFA".

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Fouls: 17-16 ADL - BRI
Yellow Cards: 4-1 ADL - BRI
Red Cards: 0-1 ADL - BRI

Williams has some howlers every game (not sure where he's from) and I think there were no real gamechangers from the ref.

Is there a way to see where the fouls happened on the pitch because from what I saw there was a consistent lack of calls when Brisbane were fouled while attacking as opposed to Adelaide

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

perhaps its just confirmation bias because you want your team to win and not the other team

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Byolante posted:

Is there a way to see where the fouls happened on the pitch because from what I saw there was a consistent lack of calls when Brisbane were fouled while attacking as opposed to Adelaide

Fox Sports probably has a heat map or something similar. McKay's should've been a free but I don't think the ref missed any penalty offences.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Fox Sports probably has a heat map or something similar. McKay's should've been a free but I don't think the ref missed any penalty offences.

I didn't see anything that could have been called a penalty for the roar but there were quite a few things the ref decided to ignore around the edge of the box that locked pretty obvious to me

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Byolante posted:

I didn't see anything that could have been called a penalty for the roar but there were quite a few things the ref decided to ignore around the edge of the box that locked pretty obvious to me

Maybe there's been a secret directive down from FIFA that lately there's been too goddamn many penalties lately - wanderers had a good case ignored in the first half only to immediately concede a handball in the box.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

MiniSune posted:

Problem is FIFA. What you suggest there could only work with a formal video review like the other codes, and that's a total anathema to FIFA. The FFA would love to have a proper review system and to try things like you suggest, but FIFA won't allow squat.

If a player Muscatted someone and put a player out for six months, and the ref gave a yellow card, that's all that can happen. No further sanction as the ref "dealt with it".

If the Ref gives a red then a further penalty can be applied, if the Ref missed it, it may be dealt with after as well. Nobody knows for sure what would happen if the Ref saw it and waived play on.

There was a heap of discussion about this during the world cup - to someone outside of the game the apparent unimpeachable nature of the referee is indefensible, and there's good reasons for and against fiddling around with the laws. I for one don't want any kind of in-game video system without serious restrictions because look at how the last year of the afl went - the umpires are terrified of making making mistakes and it takes too long. God help us if the players are ever given the power to request an in-game review.

That said, I think the "ref dealt with it onfield, move on citizen" is backwards as gently caress. No reason at all why reportable offences can't be reexamined and potentially adjusted after the games

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Triple post but who the gently caress cares, I've caught up on the rounds matches and I've compiled my thoughts in chronological order:

1. gently caress me Dugandjzic must have been a storm trooper in a past life, I can't remember many strikers who consistently fail to score in front of goal. He lays off alright, but he's a butcher in front of the net.

2. Gameiro's goal was loving mint.

3. I have zero thoughts about the Nix/Glory game except to lament the loss of Nichols.

4. Adelaide got robbed of a penalty that looked a lot more blatant than Henrique's at the death.

5. Djite is a loving beast.

6. That entire match was ace, but the best bit was McKay cracking the shits and tantying out

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've only watched the highlights but I can't say I miss having Dugandzic or Nichols, they're both average players with a terrible touch and enough quality to occasionally look better than they are. Gamiero is a proper good player though, and he's still only young. If he can keep up his for I can see him playing for Australia in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

I've only watched the highlights but I can't say I miss having Dugandzic or Nichols, they're both average players with a terrible touch and enough quality to occasionally look better than they are. Gamiero is a proper good player though, and he's still only young. If he can keep up his for I can see him playing for Australia in the near future.

This is wisdom. I was actually about to look him up to see if he was eligible. I like Petratos as well, but I don't know if that's because I think his name sounds like a transformer sneezing

• Locked thread