Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rapner
May 7, 2013

Lately I've been getting into soccer again. Once upon a time I developed a taste for soccer playing Championship Manager in high school with exchange students, and learned what the players looked like long after having some idea of who they were from soccermans sim. I didn't really follow it for the past 10 years, but I've been enjoying the poo poo out of the World Cup, BPL and Football Manager lately.

I'd like to give this season of the local league a go, and plan to go to as many local games as I can. I'm in Melbourne and leaning towards Victory, although am interested to see how City is going to change by being owned by British megabastards.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Where can I watch this on TV/Internet? I'm not going to buy Foxtel on ethical grounds. I have a VPN service that I use for Netflix, so I can pick international endpoints to watch from.
2. Any good news sites/blogs that are worth following? Most of what I know about the A League has come from Wikipedia and tangential references.
3. I've read up on the salary cap and the marquee player system. Any other weird poo poo compared to the big international leagues?
4. In terms of how the teams play, how does the domestic game differ from say, BPL or the other European leagues? I.e. the Germans are efficient grinders, the yanks are athletic, the Italians rely on well acted dives etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Any chance I can get an ATT invite from anyone? Let me know and we'll take it to PMs.

• Locked thread