Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au is also a hive of scum, villainy but also semi-decent forums who whinge about everything and anything.

Each club also has it's own (usually) non-official forums, the pick of which is the SFC fan forum http://sfcu.com.au/smf202/index.php

Also JayFC for last season http://youtu.be/ughNoJbjqbw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Coast_Mariners_FC

The Central Coast Mariners are a team in Gosford on the Central Coast area, just North of Sydney. Aka Sea Bogans, aka Gypos to uncultured Newcastle Jest supporters who lack any sense of historical knowledge of how offensive the term is aka The Little Engine that Could aka The Land of the Sauce Bottles.

(The heritage listed sauce bottles in front of some lovely old palms)

Urban Dictionary accurately describes Gosford as:

quote:

Gosford

A city in NSW, Australia. It's the largest city in the Central Coast area. Deros, junkies, dealers, brothels, nightclubs, pubs and the rest of the scum that make up the lower class in society reside here. Best to take some kind of protection with you when coming from sydney, newcastle or melbourne as fuckwits there tend to glass, bash, stab and shoot each other over nothing. Stay away from the train stations in the area like woy woy, lisarow, niagara park, wyong etc after dark as your likely to get rolled, robbed or bashed for no reason...

Often driving you will pass masses of youths drinking on the streets and fighting coz "there's no good parties round" or because "its a monday". has the highest youth unemployment and crime rate in nsw per capita. unlike parts of sydney which are dominated by gangs of certain races, the whole coast is a mixed boiling pot of different backgrounds living off welfare payments, alcohol, weed and other drugs.

Close to some nicer areas like terrigal and avoca, its just gosford and its inner suburbs like wyoming, lisarow, niagara park, narara are where all the poor, unemployed and criminals live.

1. "Hey mate lets hit iggy's in Gosford this fri, they've got mad hot chicks"

"no way, they'll probably stab us and roll us for our liqor"

The Mariners are a poor club, with the smallest catchment of any team with a population of 300K - they were only included originally to be a token "regional" team to make up the numbers, which was turned down by the Wollongong because they thought it was a crap idea. For the first season they had no training facilities and the manager had to buy all of his kit at the local Supermarket. Due to the miracle of modern Politics, several tens of millions have been pumped into an old field next to a sewerage works in Tuggerah (Aboriginal for Shopping Centre) which has left the Mariners with arguably some of the best training facilities in the country, and on the path to one day having their own 5 - 10K seat stadium (Government largesse notwithstanding). Which just goes to show that if you want a well resourced sports club, have it in a Federal marginal seat.

(Amazing what computers can do, you can't see the treatment works anywhere)

The Mariners have had several owners, been late with player payments (being a catalyst for the A-Leagues central contracting), late paying creditors, even are currently accused of phoenixing to gently caress over suppliers, and are up for sale again, as two years of not being poo poo broke has proven too much.

In spite of (or because) of the lack of funds the Mariners end up having a fairly stable playing roster with a mix of the odd journey man and a bunch of kids. Mainly because they cannot afford anything else or to fire anyone. It means also that instead of buying their way to success, they have had to poach juniors from everywhere (Mainly Blacktown City), pay them gently caress all and then flog them for large transfer fees to overseas clubs (Matt Ryan, Tom Rogic, Mile Jedinak, Alex Wilkinson) . This is something they have excelled at with a dedicated scouting network because who the gently caress in their right mind would want to voluntary live in Gosford. They have also given unwanted players a home and turned them into reasonable prospects again (Tony Vidmar, Sasho Petrovski, Daniel McBreen).

(This man would be King if he wasn't at Celtic and not loving injured.)

Oddly enough as a result the Mariners have been a bit of a success and really are the little team the could. Two premiers plates, one championship (after three excruciating failures) and a pre-season cup, they have won a bit of silverware. With a running cost of just over a million a year, they have a stable back office (because they have gently caress all staff) and an almost non-existent marketing budget which has led to them pioneering the "community club" model where players go an visit schools because they have no money for anything else to do.

(Was actually won, not stolen. Unless of course your a WSW fan in which case harden up princess.)

Surprisingly they only have had three coaches in ten years, although again this may be because they have been too poor to sack them. Lawrie Mckinna the inaugural coach resigned because he could not be hosed studying for a higher license and is now Mayor of Gosford.

Following the resignation Lawrie they signed former "most useless coach in the world" Graham Arnold who, despite almost everyone lauding it as the worst idea ever, came cheap and subsequently led the mariners to a premiers plate and two grand final appearances (with one win). This attracted the attention a Japanese club who signed him, where he promptly became poo poo again and resigned after seven games. He's wound up at Syndey FC, but time will tell if the dark forces at Sydney FC that eat coaches alive also swallow him whole.

The current coach is Phil Moss. Reputed to have a good footballing brain, he took over the side last year and finished a fairly credible third and made the semi finals with arguably a pretty average team that never once put together a complete performance all season. This is his first pre-season and the squad bares his hallmark, well as much as you can when your skint.

(International man of mystery, Phil "The Boss" Moss)

Once again the new squad is a mix of some old players (Hutchinson, Montgomery, Bosnar), and some young guns (Duke, Roux, Anderson) and a few shrewd imports (Mane, Venres and Kim Seung-yong). Every year people fail to rate the Mariners chances, and almost every year they exceed expectations of not getting the spoon and actually achieve something.

The Mariners play out of Central Coast Stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Coast_Stadium) aka Bluetongue Stadium, aka Express Advocate Stadium aka The Place with the giant Sauce Bottle Stadium.

(Actual view from near my seat pre sauce bottle. Getting in early has benefits)

The Stadium is pound for pound one of the best viewing stadiums in the country, unfortunately the food has been rather average to shite and Bluetounge Beer (former stadium sponsor) really is quite shite. With Bluetounge unsurprisingly going broke, it will be interesting to see what beer will step in to takes its place. They do have excellent coffee and donuts however. And it is opposite one of the largest pokie dens entertainment clubs with an "All you can eat" bistro which is actually half decent. And cheap beer. I recommend the red pork.

The sauce bottles are endowed with some mystical powers as to make opposition teams crap and Matt Simon unable to be sent off.

(A common Matt Simon scene)

Ah Matt Simon. Local boy made good, who wears his heart on his sleeve for the club and puts in 100%. Also violent thug whilst not called Kevin Muscat is slowly working his way too it. Hated by others, reviled by Newy supporters, yet loved by Mariners fans. In all fairness he is reasonably talentless but did hit a good patch a form a few years ago where he jagged a contract in Korea. He was pretty shite there, and now he is back, and knowing the Mariners he'll probably make an impact. Usually to the Tibia.

You follow the Mariners if your poor, unloved and don't rate yourself and you don't really care. You also follow them if you want to see young talent struggle then succeed. The silverware is a bit of a bonus really.

The sauce bottles also fly. The other teams just cannot compete with this level of entertainment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA8lULQvQyY

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 22, 2014

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Byolante posted:

Yet more south of the tweed conspiracy bullshit. How am I meant to watch the roar?

Every other match is on radio as well except Adelaide vs Brisbane.

Conspiracy expanded.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Nice atmosphere coming through on the TV.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Why do I get the feeling that Arnold is going to do a bit of facepalming this season?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
This kid could be something.

loving Cove chucking flares. loving hypocrites.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 23, 2014

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Syd United were pretty decent, as befitting a team of a few ex-Aleaguers and some youff.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Draw time.

Sydney FC vs Adelaide United
Perth Glory vs Melbourne Victory
Palm Beach Sharks vs Central Coast Mariners
Bentleigh Greens vs Adelaide City

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Adnar posted:

It got chucked over the back fence at us fuckhead, nice try though

If that was the case then I was wrong. Impressive throw on both of them.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Bogan Krkic posted:

he has a great beard if theworldgame is to be trusted

It is quite the effort.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I read in the SMH that the league this year will start planning expansion with the various stakeholders.

Given Gallops "fish where the fish are" comment I'm thinking the next two teams will be in city areas not in regionals.

The first I think will be a South Brisbane playing out of QE II, which will add a Brisbane derby to the list and comes with a ready made large stadia. Sponsors would be available and derbys = TV ratings so the networks would fund it. QLD by rights should have another team by population, Townsville is too small and has failed, Sunshine coast is a bit spread out and suffers from lack of sponsors, and Gold Coast I think would struggle to sustain a third pro side in the region, Palmer fuckup notwithstanding.

I don't think there will be another team in NSW yet, the Wanderers need to bed their brand down further and Sydney FC isn't at the heights it probably should be. With the Mariners and Jest in the outer areas there are four teams in Greater Sydney - another one would lead to the cries of the "NSWSL" being reborn. Upon saying that I think the Wolves should rise again, but in a following round of expansion.

Tassie has no money but could be a consideration down the track, Adelaide potentially could have (and has had) another team, but I think not yet. Same for Perth, and the Glory have to get their poo poo together before we even consider another side there. Darwin too small and again without cash. Geelong could be a possibility, but again direct sponsors may be hard to find what with the major employer in Ford making GBS threads the biscuit.

The second expansion team I think will be a third team in Melbourne. Melbourne has plenty of sponsorships, potential supporters and hence TV ratings revenue. Melbourne isn't that much smaller in terms of population than the greater Sydney area. But I would not put them out of Aami or Etihad as a clone of the other two if possible. I would have it at least based out in the burbs, drawing on a tribal theme, but the problem I see is that all the decent stadia that could fit say 20K seats are pretty well much in the centre of town - unless we dig out an old suburban AFL ground?

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 3, 2014

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I really do think the next NSW side will be the Wolves, but there won't be another NSW side this round. It all depends if the League want another "regional" side.

Canberra is a possibility, they do have a stadium and an immediate catchment of 400K people with Queanbeyan on par with Newcastle/Maitland. But the question would be sponsor dollars. The Raiders have gone broke twice and needed bailing out, and the Brumbies have hardly turned a dollar either. But if their financials are sound, they could be a real possibility if not this round then definitely one after.

But I still come back to the money, and TV money at that. More viewers in sports mad Melbourne and more in Brisbane seem to me more sought after than regional viewers at this stage. After that, and depending on how the money is, the League may entertain another "regional" side.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Alex_R posted:

So if you are a full member of the Allianz stadium does that mean you can watch all codes throughout the year?

I believe so. And in some cases finals too.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

bowmore posted:

Are the Jest going to miss out on the finals again this year?

Most likely.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Nice crowd tonight.

Here we go again.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
An early go, a pretty good pen shout denied and a period of domination by the Wanderers, an almost stupid handball pen given and Victory go 2-0 up.

Plenty of action, plenty of time and Wanderers could come back.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

bowmore posted:

Uh oh not looking good for Wanda's

And then they peg one back.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
As a reminder to those who are too poor, hate News Limited with a passion, or simply too loving tight arse to get Fox.

Foxtel offer three logins to Foxtel Go, their complimentary streaming service. If your good mate/brother/father/secret lover has Fox, most likely they are not using all their Foxtel Go logins. Get their log in, install Foxtel Go on PC, phone or Tablet of choice, and enjoy subscription free Foxtel and hence games.

Note is quota free on Telstra only.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
And off to the F3 Destitute Derby I go.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Byolante posted:

The power of the sauce bottle compells you

It was the mustard bottle wot won it.

It was an average game that slowly got better, but not imply it reached any great heights. Still good vibe in the crowd which mostly went home happy, this Mane guy is top shelf and will bang in a shitload if fed properly. Mariners also by and large have a decent centre defence pairing, it was the more experienced Rose who seemed to be below par more than anything. To be fair to Cernack he's not a right back but boy Newy should have just run at him exclusively those last ten minutes. Mariners still suck in transition and wont win anything this year but could jag a final.

Walked in to that Gamerio goal, more quality there than in the entire previous game.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Djite says pick that out of the back of the net.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Matt Mackay Heart the Ref.

He must have said something pretty bad to turn a yellow into a straight red.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I always wish I knew what players said to get themselves red carded. Are there official FFA rules about what you can and can't call refs?

Competent?

Not sure, suspect it's anything that is highly offensive and aggressive or something.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I think I prefer other sports' system, like Cricket, where the umpire reports it and then the player may get a fine. That way other people look at it and it prevents the ref from being a bit too precious on a given day.

Then again, they probably review the cards given in each game and Williams would say "he called me a cuntsicle" or what have you.

Problem is FIFA. What you suggest there could only work with a formal video review like the other codes, and that's a total anathema to FIFA. The FFA would love to have a proper review system and to try things like you suggest, but FIFA won't allow squat.

If a player Muscatted someone and put a player out for six months, and the ref gave a yellow card, that's all that can happen. No further sanction as the ref "dealt with it".

If the Ref gives a red then a further penalty can be applied, if the Ref missed it, it may be dealt with after as well. Nobody knows for sure what would happen if the Ref saw it and waived play on.

It's all about "Protecting the integrity of the referee". Which is a horseshit excuse from FIFA.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Tongues posted:

If you find you got yourself a hankering for good old fashioned cup football just like mum used to make, you can catch the Mariners taking on Queensland NPL champs Palm Beach Sharks here: http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=285569&part=sports

Hope you guys like arabic commentary teams!

For audio, also being broadcast via Coast FM 96.3 or via the web on http://www.coastfm.org.au/

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
How to dominate possession and not do much with it.

Stupid Edit: And as soon as they go down the guts they score.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Tongues posted:

That Cernak fellow seems to know his way around the 18 yard

Shame he just cant seem to get that last pass right. Well, not just him. Almost the whole team.

Decent effort by the Mariners but nothing more. But then again that may be the plan, given the three matches in seven days. I don't expect to see a full first team line-up until round 3.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
It would seem the old GCU fans are still not Palmer fans.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Well hopefully Rees does something stupid in his last game. Would be a fitting end.

Edit: I like this PBS forward kiddie.

Sim the SuperSub!

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I believe I laughed rather hard there.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Hoping to get off a flight and get up to gosford for the game. And loving trackwork on the airport line. Will also affect those derby bound on the T2 / east hills / whatever the gently caress it is called now line.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
About time.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Robo Captain posted:

Wellington. :unsmith:

First goal is one for the blooper reel though.

3 games in 7 days and squad rotation meant welly were specials at $5

Deserved win, but boy Ben Williams and co need to be drug tested. There were a few howlers there again tonight.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Perth first, WSW last, Brisbane second last.

Early season hilarity at its finest.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
That's a bugger.

In not so exciting news Matt Simon has been unavailable without excuse due to a bit of drama when he went overseas for a holiday. However it's not your normal run of the mill NRL/AFL drama llama in that nothing was stolen and nobody was raped or shat upon, and his absence is pretty understandable. Apparently back in the country and training and may be available to break players legs in a few weeks.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Bogan Krkic posted:

Bernie ibini has killed every move he's been involved in

And the Mariners fans smiled knowingly.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Sweet strike though.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Bogan Krkic posted:

It was but why was the keeper so far off his line

Drugs. Only answer I can think of.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

dj_pain posted:

i'm disappointed roarcelona hasn't chimed in on this thread.

He only posts when he's winning. He only posts when he's wiiiiiiining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I must admit this cup has been rather entertaining, gulf in quality notwithstanding.

It's like magic.

Edit: What will they do now the matches overlap?

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 29, 2014

• Locked thread