Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I only buy Gigabyte boards since I first learned how to overclock with them and I'm too familiar with the BIOS/UEFI options at this point to bother learning a new platform. Don't take this as any kind of recommendation as there's definitely downsides to it, and it's landed me in the >$150 bracket for personal machines since their lower-end boards haven't been worth a drat since the 965P/X38/X48 era. If you live in 2006 and still use analog audio like a caveman it'd certainly be an issue. I've never really had any issues with overclocking or stability with their boards other than a sleep bug that was related to the X58 rev.1 chipset, but you have to pay so much attention to VRM stages and things like copper composition on the boards that it's usually not worth it over an equivalent ASUS for most buyers.

edit: I've never used an Asrock board and I probably never will since I still vividly remember their horrible -775 lines when they were still attached to ASUS as their budget-oriented arm. The only MSI board I ever used had an incredibly confusing BIOS setup, although maybe they've gotten past that by now.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Judging by the sheer numbers of let's play YouTube videos and twitch.tv idiocy most people probably just buy whatever has the shiniest box art or whatever their dumb friends recommend. Hell it's only been since Ivybridge that most of the major diehard AMD fanboys on forums gave up and switched to Intel. I'm sure there's a ton of people thinking long and hard about features and component choice when purchasing, but that stuff isn't really easy to market vs slapping a l337 gamer tag with 'military design' subtitles.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
It's a manufacturing defect. It happens occasionally and even high-end ASUS boards aren't immune to it. RMA it back to MSI.

• Locked thread