Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
dean ambrose?
he rules
oh my he's so good
I love him
want to kiss him
View Results

• Locked thread
Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Welp, nothing of value was lost.

Gotta go give a cat an IV, sniff you jerks later :smug:

Me too, plus added :catdrugs:!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

This is the tweet equivalent of trying to pass Best of IMPACT DVDs out of the trunk of your car to the people coming of the show.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

The sad thing is that this will actually work as advertising.

A very small amount, but some will see this and actually convert.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

Man I wonder where they will go if the network crashes and burns for good. Nobody who bought that is gonna be too wild about paying 60 bucks for PPVs again.

There is literally nothing to suggest the numbers are bad enough to be catastrophic, so the conjecture is a little premature. I mean the numbers were underwhelming but only pointing to short term losses and that's just domestic. Admittedly, the only thing we've heard so far about internationally is that the Canada deal is a lot more successful than they anticipated.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There is literally nothing to suggest the numbers are bad enough to be catastrophic, so the conjecture is a little premature. I mean the numbers were underwhelming but only pointing to short term losses and that's just domestic. Admittedly, the only thing we've heard so far about internationally is that the Canada deal is a lot more successful than they anticipated.

Oh I don't know if it will or not I'm just wondering how people would receive it if it would. Like what would happen to their PPV numbers I mean.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

Man I wonder where they will go if the network crashes and burns for good. Nobody who bought that is gonna be too wild about paying 60 bucks for PPVs again.

I doubt there's any going back to something like that now so who knows what will happen

Probably just operate the network at a loss compared to the old revenue before the network for PPV shows and cut costs as much as possible until they figure something else out

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Kawalimus posted:

Not to mention if Vince goes crawling back to the cable/satellite companies they'll probably want a bigger cut than before.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've never seen such a great show that made it so hard to think of it even as a good show.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

John Cena is trying to kill wrestling. And it is working.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MassRafTer posted:

I've never seen such a great show that made it so hard to think of it even as a good show.

So many of the matches were great but I barely even care now

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

John Cena was a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I doubt there's any going back to something like that now so who knows what will happen

Probably just operate the network at a loss and cut costs as much as possible until they figure something else out

If they really had to I bet WWE would just raise the price of the Network before crawling back to cable/satellite companies, but only time will possibly tell I guess.

If I was WWE, I'd set something up where people could pay like $50 up front right now for the six months, so that they maybe lose money month to month but get more lump sum and then worry less about cancellations month to month. You know, like basically every other subscription thing on the internet.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, when Cena retires...is crippled in the ring one day, his shoot interviews will be interesting in regard to whose fault his horseshit booking really was.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DeathChicken posted:

Man, when Cena retires...is crippled in the ring one day, his shoot interviews will be interesting in regard to whose fault his horseshit booking really was.

Is he Hogan or is he Michaels

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

SamuraiFoochs posted:

If they really had to I bet WWE would just raise the price of the Network before crawling back to cable/satellite companies, but only time will possibly tell I guess.

If I was WWE, I'd set something up where people could pay like $50 up front right now for the six months, so that they maybe lose money month to month but get more lump sum and then worry less about cancellations month to month. You know, like basically every other subscription thing on the internet.

they do have that model now

they also have a model where you can pay like 13 bucks just for a month

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

Not me my thing expires and no way am I paying even 10 dollars for this. I wouldn't even pay 10 cents. They need to seriously up their game if they want me to subscribe to their stuff. I'll follow the product but I don't feel a pressing need to watch the PPVs.

What about the older stuff? For me the Network is mostly a Netflix for old Raws and Nitros.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Eh, subscriptions will slow down the more often they pull poo poo like this. It won't be enough to destroy the network or the company, but it might be enough at one point for everyone to sit Vince down and tell him he flat out doesn't understand the product.

Wasn't the Attitude Era more of Shane's meddling than anything else, or was that just a rumor?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

projecthalaxy posted:

No I think its a coalition of Vince and Dunn using a company man to kill wrestling to fuel their insecurities about being in the professional wrestling business.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I have no idea who regularly bought WWE B-PPVs when they were $50. I never met anyone, I never even saw someone on the Internet who said they bought like five of those things. Maybe the network and the sheer volume of wrestlechat on things like Twitter will get them to write better stuff when Cena makes a movie or whatever.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Maxwell Lord posted:

What about the older stuff? For me the Network is mostly a Netflix for old Raws and Nitros.

It's nice but to me the best part of wrestling is the current stuff you don't know the outcome of. That's the main draw of it all. It's cool to look back on the extras sometime but if I'm paying for access I want interesting current programming. When WM season rolls around if it's looking interesting I might dive back in and then I can watch the old stuff and documentaries again if I want.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

DeathChicken posted:

He's pretty much always given the Nuremburg defense in this regard. Don't see that changing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WadeBartender posted:

they do have that model now

they also have a model where you can pay like 13 bucks just for a month

I thought that was just upcoming, not that they'd actually implemented it yet.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

No, when I re-upped last week those were all options I had.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Fat Lowtax posted:

I have no idea who regularly bought WWE B-PPVs when they were $50. I never met anyone, I never even saw someone on the Internet who said they bought like five of those things. Maybe the network and the sheer volume of wrestlechat on things like Twitter will get them to write better stuff when Cena makes a movie or whatever.

In high school I knew one of one guy that bought all of them and bragged about it to anyone that would listen for who knows what reason

So that guy I guess

He was weird

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

Eh, subscriptions will slow down the more often they pull poo poo like this. It won't be enough to destroy the network or the company, but it might be enough at one point for everyone to sit Vince down and tell him he flat out doesn't understand the product.

Wasn't the Attitude Era more of Shane's meddling than anything else, or was that just a rumor?

The Attitude Era was Vince at risk of going bankrupt and Nitro killing Raw in the ratings. Here the company is taking something of a hit but they're nowhere near that level of desperate.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

No, when I re-upped last week those were all options I had.

Weird. Do you save money by paying up front? If so, how do I do it? I can't find that option anywhere.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Smoking Crow posted:

It's not their fault that Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns are out.

It's absolutely their fault for building only Cena at a superhero level for years and not giving credibility to several people that can easily hover around the top of the card to be plugged into a void in times of emergency/injury like they did for a long time post-Hogan and pre-Cena.

I don't glorify Attitude as much as everyone else but at any given time they had 5-8 people who could be believable champions. Your assertion that it couldn't be Ambrose is only because he hasn't been given the shot that this void would give him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

When I signed up they had an option to pay for 6 months in advance and I did that because it just made the most sense.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

achillesforever6 posted:

No I think its a coalition of Vince and Dunn using a company man to kill wrestling to fuel their insecurities about being in the professional wrestling business.

The company man image is a work, Cena's probably as much to fault for this he just does all the "Gotta protect my spot" behind the behind the scenes where nobody else can see him and then just claims he does as he's told afterwards.

Then smugly smiles when everyone buys it.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Prozach posted:

The sad thing is that this will actually work as advertising.

A very small amount, but some will see this and actually convert.

They deleted it. :v:

The funny thing is that TNA had like a string of I think 8 PPVs in a row all with gently caress finishes in the Main Event.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Weird. Do you save money by paying up front? If so, how do I do it? I can't find that option anywhere.

No, it's 59.94 for the 6 month lump sum. I don't know, when I went to reactivate my account ( I spent a few days unsubbed) I had 6 month recurring, 6 month lump sum, and 1 month lump sum in a drop down box.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

HulkaMatt posted:

The funny thing is that TNA had like a string of I think 8 PPVs in a row all with gently caress finishes in the Main Event.

WWE stealing ideas from TNA yet again!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

When I signed up they had an option to pay for 6 months in advance and I did that because it just made the most sense.

Did it save you money? I can't figure out how to do it. Maybe I need to cancel auto-renew first?

projecthalaxy posted:

No, it's 59.94 for the 6 month lump sum. I don't know, when I went to reactivate my account ( I spent a few days unsubbed) I had 6 month recurring, 6 month lump sum, and 1 month lump sum in a drop down box.

Oh, okay. Probably not worth it then I guess?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

yeah but they made a more direct and stupid tweet in response

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Did it save you money? I can't figure out how to do it. Maybe I need to cancel auto-renew first?

Oh, okay. Probably not worth it then I guess?

Depends on if you want a single payment or recurring. They bill me the same time that Netflix does (Except they're better) so I don't mind the $9.99 recurring, plus it means that wicked sick 999 song is about my payment plan!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

Depends on if you want a single payment or recurring. They bill me the same time that Netflix does (Except they're better) so I don't mind the $9.99 recurring, plus it means that wicked sick 999 song is about my payment plan!

The only reason I'd really care one way or the other is if the lump sum saved me a decent amount of money. Otherwise it doesn't matter to me as I don't plan to cancel.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

Vintage TNA.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The crazy thing is I'm reading the Death of WCW book again, and I got to the part where it goes on about all the gently caress Finishes at the end of every Nitro, Thunder and PPV including the biggest show of the year Starcade 97. I'm not saying my reading of this cursed tome was a catalyst for tonight's events, but I am saying I have burned the book and buried the ashes.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The only reason I'd really care one way or the other is if the lump sum saved me a decent amount of money. Otherwise it doesn't matter to me as I don't plan to cancel.

Then go with whichever you'd rather have on your statement, unless you don't have $60 sitting around for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.

oatgan posted:

try to get as many relevant hashtags in there as you can! that'll work :downs:

• Locked thread