Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

digi jacks also die if you run away from them so they can spawn closer to you. you can also give them a copy of your shield, so give them a THIRD nova with a nova shield. I have them rigged up with black holes so I have singularities going off everywhere.

don't forget to grab Best Foot Forward so your timer is always full, and when you see diminishing returns kick in just end the ability so the cool down is super short.

get Jacks Cache too so you constantly get free grenades. I literally cannot get rid of all my grenades while using this ability plus the leadership capstone. I use quasars so even MORE singularities everywhere.

Jack is kind of a slow burn but once you get that capstone all bets are off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

looks like things just got 20% more handsome

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Kaubocks posted:

get Jacks Cache too so you constantly get free grenades. I literally cannot get rid of all my grenades while using this ability plus the leadership capstone. I use quasars so even MORE singularities everywhere.

I think he also has abilities that give him magazine size buffs based on how few grenades he has, as well as one that has a chance to reload all your guns when you toss a grenade. :aaa:

quote:

Jack is kind of a slow burn but once you get that capstone all bets are off.

Jesus, I kind of want to try playing Timothy now.

Kaubocks posted:

don't forget to grab Best Foot Forward so your timer is always full

Wait. Wait wait wait.

If you have Best Foot Forward and Leadership, does moving so that your digijacks 'die' and respawn trigger the whole 'make action skill last longer'?!?

Jesus wept.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 19, 2016

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Is it me or is Jack's skill tree pretty loving nuts?

One of the capstones makes any of your pets dying (whether from actual damage or because you moved and they despawned) count as an enemy kill, which procs all his kill skills which heal him, restore shields, make him do more damage, be more accurate, reload and move faster, and probably even more poo poo.

Don't forget Absolute Advantage which gives him a chance NOT to consume ammo. With the right class mod, he can have up to an 88% chance though rockets have a much lower chance. Still, it works really well with high fire rate weapons especially Jacobs shotguns.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Timmy has some great lines, too.

"It's like choosing between pretty ladies! ... ugh, I hate this guy." :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Somehow I never noticed until recently that Oz Kits don't actually have level requirements. So are you always going to only have 100-150 or so points of 'air supply'? Do higher-quality kits hold more air?

Also the winter-themed spingun from one of Nina's quests isn't working for me, it's supposed to chime like an ice cream truck but it sounds like a generic gun. :(

I wish digi-jacks used your skin rather than the default, and what's up with the arm-blaster things they and Jack use? I've never seen anyone else in the franchise use anything like that, guns are good enough for everyone else...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Air supply is basically never an issue in the game because everything you shoot spouts air canisters.

The limited supply is more there to keep you from constantly butt slamming everything to death. But you can still totally do that in some cases with mobs of enemies as you get canisters faster than you can use the air to butt slam. It is stupidly fun too.

I had the same issue with the Ice Scream on one playthrough. I think exiting and reloading the game fixed it but I could be wrong.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Also the winter-themed spingun from one of Nina's quests isn't working for me, it's supposed to chime like an ice cream truck but it sounds like a generic gun. :(

What. WHAT. DOES IT REALLY?!

I'm gonna have to check this out, that's amazing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Air supply is basically never an issue in the game because everything you shoot spouts air canisters.

The limited supply is more there to keep you from constantly butt slamming everything to death. But you can still totally do that in some cases with mobs of enemies as you get canisters faster than you can use the air to butt slam. It is stupidly fun too.

Yeah, it's more that I get annoyed at the constant 'AIR AT 50%!' notifications if I'm using a kit that only has a capacity of 104 or whatever. I know it's not a big deal, and even running out of air isn't a crisis except for that bit right at the beginning when you have 90 health and might actually asphyxiate in under an hour, but meh. Maybe I'll see if there's an option to turn them off.

Solumin posted:

What. WHAT. DOES IT REALLY?!

I'm gonna have to check this out, that's amazing.

Yeah it's pretty cool. Plus the other option is kind of underwhelming, the Too Scoops fires a pair of big slow ice balls (ice cream scoops :v:).

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I always went with the Ice Scream anyway, I just never noticed the extra noises! Though it could have been bugged, of course.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I could have sworn he digi jacks do use your customization but also I never looked at them that closely

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kaubocks posted:

I could have sworn he digi jacks do use your customization but also I never looked at them that closely

They do (at least for some)

e:the head customization

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rinkles posted:

They definitely don't use the 'skin' though, they all have the yellow shirt, brown jacket 'default' Jack look.

I'm rocking the Show and Tale look from Tales from the Borderlands and I wish my DJs looked like me. :negative:

e: If they copied your look exactly (plus the digistructuring overlay thing) and spawned with random guns instead of wrist blasters things would be 50% more handsome

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Rinkles posted:

ah that explains why I thought they did because I've definitely seen them wear the troll face which is my go to mask

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

ah that explains why I thought they did because I've definitely seen them wear the troll face which is my go to mask

Jack has some cool head options (although WTF is up with 'Jacked Up', the big lower-face mouth-mask thing and red eyes?), it's just too bad that it feels wrong to not use the basic head since, you know, body double, looking the same, and all...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Can you redo Holodome rounds?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

From my time with the series, high level elemental Athena is the most difficult character to play optimally.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also disappointed UVHM doesn't get its own framed retelling of the story, like TVHM did.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wait what changes in TVHM?

Also I found a Corporate Fatale this morning. Despite being a Hyperion SMG (which I usually hate), it actually 'feels' good - good fire rate and the accuracy/sight basically snaps to perfect.

It's too bad my only corrosion weapon right now is a generic SMG; I don't like not having my damage-type bases covered.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

WarLocke posted:

Tina shows up in the narration with Athena and is all "TELL IT AGAIN BUT MAKE IT MORE AWESOME."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Athena retells the story to someone else. Amounts to a minor change, but cute.

quote:

Also I found a Corporate Fatale this morning. Despite being a Hyperion SMG (which I usually hate), it actually 'feels' good - good fire rate and the accuracy/sight basically snaps to perfect.

It's too bad my only corrosion weapon right now is a generic SMG; I don't like not having my damage-type bases covered.

I know what you mean, but corrosive isn't very useful in this game.

--

I wish the turret calibration section when building Felicity was repeatable. There aren't enough concentrated mob rushes in the game. It's fun, and actually good practice. Helped me get a better hang of Athena's Ceraunic Storm skill rotation. I died half an hour in because my Tediore spitter wouldn't reload in ffyl (I was too slow to notice my stacks of Maelstorm wouldn't allow me to expend ammo).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

AirRaid posted:

Tina shows up in the narration with Athena and is all "TELL IT AGAIN BUT MAKE IT MORE AWESOME."

:3:

Rinkles posted:

I know what you mean, but corrosive isn't very useful in this game.

Scav jet fighters (and the guys with big jetpacks but armor instead of a shield) are annoying enough that I try to keep something corrosive to hand. I'm still in a first playthrough though, so scaling hasn't taken off yet.

quote:

I wish the turret calibration section when building Felicity was repeatable. There aren't enough concentrated mob rushes in the game. It's fun, and actually good practice. Helped me get a better hang of Athena's Ceraunic Storm skill rotation. I died half an hour in because my Tediore spitter wouldn't reload in ffyl (I was too slow to notice my stacks of Maelstorm wouldn't allow me to expend ammo).

One thing that gets under my skin about TPS is how much one-time/missable content there is (at least compared to BL2). Apparently Felicity Rampant has a bunch of heads and other drops that can ONLY drop while you're on the mission, you can't go back and farm for them. And a bunch of legendaries drop from bosses that don't respawn. And stuff like that one Deadlift challenge you have to do on the mission or just miss out (until the next playthrough I guess).

poo poo like that just seems petty.

... And I have no loving idea how I'm going to manage the 'don't let Felicity kill anything during that corridor segment' challenge.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

WarLocke posted:

One thing that gets under my skin about TPS is how much one-time/missable content there is (at least compared to BL2). Apparently Felicity Rampant has a bunch of heads and other drops that can ONLY drop while you're on the mission, you can't go back and farm for them. And a bunch of legendaries drop from bosses that don't respawn. And stuff like that one Deadlift challenge you have to do on the mission or just miss out (until the next playthrough I guess).

I know a bunch of previously unfarmable bosses became farmable a couple months back, but I don't know about Felicity specifically. I've gotten quasars out of her before, but never a head (and total I must have killed her close to 30-40 times now).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I know a bunch of previously unfarmable bosses became farmable a couple months back, but I don't know about Felicity specifically. I've gotten quasars out of her before, but never a head (and total I must have killed her close to 30-40 times now).

Oh, maybe my info is old then. Wouldn't surprise me since the only TPS discussion I can find besides here is the official Gearbox forums, which seem pretty dead.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

WarLocke posted:

... And I have no loving idea how I'm going to manage the 'don't let Felicity kill anything during that corridor segment' challenge.

I gave up on that, I'm fairly sure it's impossible, unless maybe if you go into that mission with 4 waaaaay over levelled players and mop up real fast.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Holy crap Jack gets one of Gaige's capstones at level 9.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Holy crap Jack gets one of Gaige's capstones at level 9.

Yuuup.

Honestly though I think the only reason I'll grab that ability is so that I can give my DJs a third nova (you can spec to have them do novas on spawn and on death) for maximum :raycharles:

Jack has so many kill skills or ones that go off based on the DJs dying/respawning that the optimum build seems to be focusing on having them dying constantly.

Near the bottom of the middle tree you get the ability to use his skill while in FFYL, below that DJ deaths count as enemy kills (and can give second wins), and about halfway down the left tree there's an ability that gives you scaling HP/shield recharge while your action skill is on cooldown.

Jack is loving nuts.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Spent a combined 3 hours farming Corporal Bob because I'm sometimes dumb like that (and leveling uvhm is slow). Not one skin, not one Ack Ack - I was mostly interested in the former.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Interesting 'problem' I'm having with Jack: I can't get the weapon-type second wind challenges because my doubles kill poo poo too fast. :v:

Then this happened. I didn't think vendors could sell uniques:

Question, is Jack's Diversification skill (the one that gives the holojacks a shotgun wrist blast) worth a point? I've been trying to watch for them using it but I haven't noticed it/a difference.

Oh, one more: Grinder output is the average level of the inputs, right? So you could theoretically take all your low-level legendaries and (eventually) mash them up into max-level ones?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I really want to like Nisha but I don't know how to play her properly. I'm using the dual pistol skill and I just run out of ammunition constantly.

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WarLocke posted:

Oh, one more: Grinder output is the average level of the inputs, right? So you could theoretically take all your low-level legendaries and (eventually) mash them up into max-level ones?

No. if you grind three lvl 20 weapons you get a lvl 20. Two lvl 1's and a lvl 70 will get you a lvl 24. the grinder never produces weapons of a level higher than the highest level item you put into it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Chasiubao posted:

I really want to like Nisha but I don't know how to play her properly. I'm using the dual pistol skill and I just run out of ammunition constantly.

Its been forever since I've played TPS but yeah she can do that very easily, especially on a high fire rate vladof pistol. I always kept a shotgun and a beam laser on switch to use when running low on pistol ammo. Showdown works with anything really.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

It works particularly well with beam weapons. Things die so fast.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Chasiubao posted:

Nisha's Riflewoman tree is the most powerful, it's borderline broken. Specifically the combination of Trickshot (offtarget shots can still hit enemies), Tombstone (killing an enemy makes a high % of your normal shots critical), and Unforgiven (during Showdown bullets ricochet off enemies onto other target - which works off Trickshot - and then anything hit that didn't die explodes). After getting a kill just spamming any weapon will cascade you into more kills. Tombstone is busted. And if you want to get creative, frozen enemies take increased critical damage, which sort of works well with tombstone.

Of course, don't forget about survivability. Don't overlook Order. Bascially, for a single skillpoint every 10th shot heals you instead of damaging you. It's absolutely worth going down the tree just to increase the max number of Order stacks (which increases the chance of healing), but if you don't want to commit too many points, just the first one point is very valuable.

My initial Nisha was all about dual wielding Vladof pistols (feels awesome just letting rip), but I also ran into ammo issues and being a bit too fragile. If I ever find an on level Luck Cannon, I'm totally respecing back into dual wielding, though.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 4, 2016

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I never understood why Nisha didn't have a pistol ammo regenerating skill of some kind. It got to the point where I wouldn't spec into to the dual wield capstone even though I invested heavily into that skill tree.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Right now I'm playing Jack with Badass super clones, and it's pretty great. I only wish there was a legendary class mod with CDR.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I noticed my Aureilia apparently has access to the Gearbox skin, which I thought was restricted to devs.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Interesting 'problem' I'm having with Jack: I can't get the weapon-type second wind challenges because my doubles kill poo poo too fast. :v:

Then this happened. I didn't think vendors could sell uniques:

Deadly Bloom is actually just a normal purple with an ability. It's a quest reward in BL2 and they never bothered to make it so it couldn't drop or be sold.

Rinkles posted:

I noticed my Aureilia apparently has access to the Gearbox skin, which I thought was restricted to devs.

If you've used the profile editor to give yourself all the skins/heads, the Gearbox skins come with the package.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kaethela posted:

If you've used the profile editor to give yourself all the skins/heads, the Gearbox skins come with the package.

I didn't. PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ayatollah Hermione posted:

No. if you grind three lvl 20 weapons you get a lvl 20. Two lvl 1's and a lvl 70 will get you a lvl 24. the grinder never produces weapons of a level higher than the highest level item you put into it.

... Yes, that's what I said. You use low-level legendaries in the "two legendaries plus (level 60-70) purple" recipe to get a mid-level legendary, than two mid-level legendaries plus high-level purple for a higher-level legendary, repeat.

Chasiubao posted:

Right now I'm playing Jack with Badass super clones, and it's pretty great. I only wish there was a legendary class mod with CDR.

It's only a 33% chance to get a Badass clone though, right? I might eventually get them if I have a floating point, but I feel like maximizing all the kill skills/digijack cycling abilities would be more effective.

I'm already seeing the snowballing start in the low 20s, as soon as something dies my buffs go insane. At this point I'm thinking after I finish working down to the middle capstone I'll work towards the 'constant regen when action skill is on cooldown' ability in the left tree, and just stack health/shields after that. Between kill skills that give percentage-based health regen and 25%+ shields per kill I'm not sure it would be possible to die other than falling into a bottomless pit.

Jack even gets around the typical kill skill problem because your own clones can provide that quarter-shield heal on-demand in the middle of big single boss fights...

Kaethela posted:

Deadly Bloom is actually just a normal purple with an ability. It's a quest reward in BL2 and they never bothered to make it so it couldn't drop or be sold.

Seems like a weird distinction, since 'normal purple with an ability' is basically just a unique, only purple instead of blue. But I guess that explains why that happened. :v:

I also found out this morning that the Gunerang seems to have been reworked in TPS. It still reloads like a boomerang, but it doesn't seem to explode if it hits you. Instead it floats in place for a few seconds while shooting randomly in all directions, THEN explodes (and the explosion doesn't seem to damage you)

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 5, 2016

• Locked thread