Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Considering that the big bads in this game want to blow up Pandora for whatever reason, Jack is probably taking matters into his own hands less for altruism and more for not wanting his efforts to go to waste.

He had already have had his daughter shoved into a computer by this time, so it is clear that whatever he is at the beginning of this game, it is not a good person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Skandranon posted:

he was mis-appropriating company resources to get Angel the access she had (he gets yelled at by his boss).
this

Skandranon posted:

Though he should have had all that before the H got put in place. I supposed we'll just have to wait and see.
is the same thing as this.

He was misappropriating the space station.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Unlucky7 posted:

He had already have had his daughter shoved into a computer by this time, so it is clear that whatever he is at the beginning of this game, it is not a good person.

She wasn't shoved into a computer, she at most had some cybernetic implants, and her Siren abilities (phaseshifting) already probably had something to do with computers as well.

AirRaid posted:

this

is the same thing as this.

He was misappropriating the space station.

This very well might be the case. We'll just have to see exactly how he managed to appropriate ownership of the Eridium and thus, becoming an overnight trillionaire. He may well have done it purely by computer hacking, as with Claptrap.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

What exactly was retconned from Borderlands 1 to Borderlands 2? If anything, I'm seeing more retcons for the Pre-Sequel than anything. Most of the stuff in the trailers seems to suggest that the Pre Sequel takes place when Jack was just a lowly tech scrub working for Hyperion. But Borderlands 2 already explained that Jack became the leader of Hyperion immediately after the Vault opened, because he started harvesting the Eridium and murdered the rest of the staff board. And then there's The Man Who Would be Jack quest, which detailed events even before BL1 when Jack and Angel were plotting the original Vault Hunter's expedition.

So how is Jack just a technician in the Pre Sequel if it takes place after BL1 when he took control of Hyperion?

The main thing that was retconned, though I'm not sure if that's the proper word for this, is that Angel was working for Jack during the events of the first game and everything you did was just helping him get rich. I dunno, I really liked Angel in the first game but the second game changed a lot of a character that doesn't seem that much like a character. BL2 also retconned the fact that the bandits were a convict workforce, mutated from the radiation in the mines that got left behind on Pandora when Dahl packed up when the wildlife woke up from hibernation.

I just sperged about Borderlands lore... :suicide:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

watho posted:

The main thing that was retconned, though I'm not sure if that's the proper word for this, is that Angel was working for Jack during the events of the first game and everything you did was just helping him get rich. I dunno, I really liked Angel in the first game but the second game changed a lot of a character that doesn't seem that much like a character. BL2 also retconned the fact that the bandits were a convict workforce, mutated from the radiation in the mines that got left behind on Pandora when Dahl packed up when the wildlife woke up from hibernation.

I just sperged about Borderlands lore... :suicide:

I don't see that as being reconned... they seriously hinted that Angel wasn't what she seemed at the end of BL1, the 4NG31 on the Hyperion satelite is ANGEL in leet speak. I don't see any reconning at all, simply us just finally finding out the truth. It sucks hard he played everyone so well, and that's why we hate him. It was actually a really good turn.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

watho posted:

BL2 also retconned the fact that the bandits were a convict workforce, mutated from the radiation in the mines that got left behind on Pandora when Dahl packed up when the wildlife woke up from hibernation.

Wait, what? When did they do this?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

watho posted:

... mutated from the radiation in the mines that got left behind on Pandora when Dahl packed up when the wildlife woke up from hibernation.
A quick correction: Dahl left because Atlas came in and kicked them off the planet, which ties in with what little story BL1 had.

And yeah, I feel your pain. :downsgun:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

watho posted:

BL2 also retconned the fact that the bandits were a convict workforce, mutated from the radiation in the mines that got left behind on Pandora when Dahl packed up when the wildlife woke up from hibernation.

Father Wendigo posted:

I could have sworn this wasn't a retcon? Is there anything in BL2 to contradict that origin story? Jack just appropriates the word "bandit" so he has a propaganda-flavored reason to kill the Crimson Raiders.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

It's a few of the recorders you can find... didn't seem like retconning to me either, though I never found any explanation for the bandits or much of anything when playing BL1.

To elaborate, this refers to the psycho-bandit types, they are the leftover workforce abandoned during the first exodus from Pandora when it 'woke up'. What Jack considers bandits is something else entirely.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

In the Minecart Madness quest, I think, Tannis talks about how the bandits and psychos are scientists and familly men or something. It was a while ago I played it but I remember they contradicting the convict thing.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

watho posted:

In the Minecart Madness quest, I think, Tannis talks about how the bandits and psychos are scientists and familly men or something. It was a while ago I played it but I remember they contradicting the convict thing.

There were multiple colonization attempts, and subsequent flights.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CJacobs posted:

They're pretty much having Handsome Jack go the way of Jigsaw of the Saw franchise for this game. Jigsaw died in like the third movie, but Tobin Bell continued to be in movies 4 through whatever the hell because every single one had an extended flashback to when Jigsaw was still alive, just so that they could have more Jigsaw screentime. People want more Handsome Jack, but as the DLCs went to show, Jack is dead and is not coming back to life any time soon, so the only way to give people more Jack is to make him be in a game that takes place before he died.

The correct way to address this is to have Handsom Jack transmit his mind upon death into a computer virus that then infects Claptrap giving you the composite personality of Handsome Clap.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
My preorder money will be well spent if we get to see this scene in person:

Moorin: "Uhm, sir, we've lost at least a dozen staff to the Angel's 'malfunctions.' We need to shut her down! Your wife suggested as much before her disappear--"
Handsome Jack: "Jimmy, please make a note: I'm strangling Mister Moorin for bringing up my wife."
Mister Blake: "Choked... Mister Mooring..."
Handsome Jack: "No, no, Jimmy, choking is something you do when you eat too fast. As I'm crushing Mister Moorin's windpipe with my watch chain, what I'm doing is actually referred to as strangling."
Moorin: "Ghkk... Please, please--"
Handsome Jack: "Tut-tut-tut-tut-tut... Shhhhh. There we go. Anything else on today's agenda, Jimmy?"
Mister Blake: "It's 'Jeffrey,' sir. And no."
Handsome Jack: "Thanks Jimmy! Well, then. Drinks are on Handsome Jack!"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rhymenoserous posted:

The correct way to address this is to have Handsom Jack transmit his mind upon death into a computer virus that then infects Claptrap giving you the composite personality of Handsome Clap.

"You IDIOT. This is just a recording of me eating pretzels! Hey, who do I have to kill to get a high five?"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

"You IDIOT. This is just a recording of me eating pretzels! Hey, who do I have to kill to get a high five?"

It would be breathtaking :allears:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

watho posted:

Some of them are, presumably; Tannis's colleagues or those from other colonization attempts. The majority are the work-force convicts, but not all are convicts.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Some of them are, presumably; Tannis's colleagues or those from other colonization attempts. The majority are the work-force convicts, but not all are convicts.

All of Tannis' colleagues died... :confused:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't think it is a stretch to think that a good portion of the bandits were previous colonists that have gone insane. It is just one of the examples of the idea that Pandora is a dangerous shithole that will ruin you.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

At least they're not on Promethea.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Wi ll angel have a role in pre sequel? I haven't seen all the trailers but guess she could since no vault hunters?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Ulvirich posted:

At least they're not on Promethea.

I would absolutely love for the next game to be set on Promethea. I want to see just how much of an utter hell hole that planet is.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Re: Jack becoming an "overnight trillionaire". Hyperion licensed E-Tech technology to the other gun manufacturers, except for I guess Torgue and Jakobs? I would imagine that sort of deal would be worth a lot of money.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Also it was Jack's propaganda, so he could be lying. He does that a lot.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

highmodulus posted:

Also it was Jack's propaganda, so he could be lying. He does that a lot.

Yeah, but I expect some grain of truth in there. He definitely did a hostile takeover of Hyperion from within. While it's clear he murdered some people on his way up, he also would have still needed a way to buy out the rest of the company in order to secure his position.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

I thought the Echo's made it sound like he mostly did that with blackmail and murder. Plus drat vault hunters kept blowing up all his stuff. Seems like he sunk all his funds into the Warrior project, which in the minimum is going to cause Hyperion to miss its earnings forecasts.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Solumin posted:

Re: Jack becoming an "overnight trillionaire". Hyperion licensed E-Tech technology to the other gun manufacturers, except for I guess Torgue and Jakobs? I would imagine that sort of deal would be worth a lot of money.

highmodulus posted:

I thought the Echo's made it sound like he mostly did that with blackmail and murder. Plus drat vault hunters kept blowing up all his stuff. Seems like he sunk all his funds into the Warrior project, which in the minimum is going to cause Hyperion to miss its earnings forecasts.

Jack became a trillionaire BEFORE becoming CEO of Hyperion. He then used his money to BUY Hyperion (or, at least, enough stock to vote himself Chairman & CEO). He couldn't have gotten anywhere of authority initially in Hyperion without something along those lines. Once there, he proceeded to murder and blackmail anyone left to stand in his way, but somehow he had to get that first jump in power, which I am hoping the PS elaborates upon.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 25, 2014

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fibby Boy posted:

I would absolutely love for the next game to be set on Promethea. I want to see just how much of an utter hell hole that planet is.

Well, half of Hyperion's colony on Promethea exploded when someone tried to take a shower.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I would enjoy a Borderlands 3 where there are several parallel campaigns you can work through seeking vaults on different planets. Different vault hunters are running different operations for different vaults, all with Brick at the head directing them (because he called dibs). Give you some openness as to which parts of which planets you explore at a given time, maybe tie it together with an ubervault you need keys from other vaults for, or something.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Nighthand posted:

I would enjoy a Borderlands 3 where there are several parallel campaigns you can work through seeking vaults on different planets. Different vault hunters are running different operations for different vaults, all with Brick at the head directing them (because he called dibs). Give you some openness as to which parts of which planets you explore at a given time, maybe tie it together with an ubervault you need keys from other vaults for, or something.

A bordroidvania if you will.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Nighthand posted:

This could work out nicely... give you somewhat of a reason to have alts other than for variety. Would make it feel like your alts are working together towards a common goal.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Nighthand posted:

Considering the ending of BL2 that's probably what BL3 will be. Or something like it.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Fibby Boy posted:

Borderlands: The Beginning - Find out what Atlas discovered on Prometheus to bring them to prominence. Vault hunters: Steele, Knoxx, one of Athena's sisters, fourth one undetermined.

Tell me you wouldn't buy the gently caress out of that. :gizz:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Doodles posted:

Borderlands: The Beginning - Find out what Atlas discovered on Prometheus to bring them to prominence. Vault hunters: Steele, Knoxx, one of Athena's sisters, fourth one undetermined.

Well, I did just buy the PS and Shadows of Mordor, so I could wait a bit. But yes, that sounds like it could be interesting, especially finding out what Steele was all about. I don't think we need another Athena, I think there is room for some non-Atlas Vault Hunters.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Not enough variety in your choice of vault hunters there. Also, Knoxx would be wasted as a player character, he needs as much dialogue as possible. He'd be better as your chief contact/questgiver.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Doodles posted:

Borderlands: The Fall of Dahl - Parallel campaign dealing with the fallout and people trying to survive the conflict. Vault hunters: Zed, Marcus, Moxxi, Helena Pierce.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

8one6 posted:

Borderlands: The Fall of Dahl - Parallel campaign dealing with the fallout and people trying to survive the conflict. Vault hunters: Zed, Marcus, Moxxi, Helena Pierce.

:stare: that would be pretty awesome.

Though honestly I can only see Moxxi and Helena Pierce being actual Vault Hunters.
Maybe we could get Zed's twin-brother-with-a-mustache Ned in there instead? :v:

AirRaid posted:

Not enough variety in your choice of vault hunters there. Also, Knoxx would be wasted as a player character, he needs as much dialogue as possible. He'd be better as your chief contact/questgiver.

Not to mention that Knoxx wasn't even on the planet at the time. (I think?)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Got to play this today at EGX, kinda came away feeling a whole lot better about it (and I was already almost definitely going to buy it). It was true vault hunter mode, I assume relatively early in the game during tvhm since the enemies were around level 36. We had slightly higher characters cause it was a demo obviously. I jumped in with Willhelm and just spammed my points into his cyborg tree, wanted the rocket punch and ability to sprint whilst shooting with great accuracy, never noticed the final skill going off really but found that I either had full health or very little health if I was being dumb and my special wasn't out. Had a dahl laser cannon that fired half it's clip when zoomed in and was incredibly awesome feeling, kinda like a burst fire railgun. My friend had one that was just a constant stream, like a proton pack or the alt fire on the energy rifle from UT. Area was a pretty standard borderlandsy dungeon, on a spaceship, fighting through it and occasionally outside it. Decent variety of enemies and background chatter, already noticed a couple different lines of dialogue from my guy and my mates character (playing as Nisha). So yeah, felt like more Borderlands and solidified my desire to buy it and play it when it comes out.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Were there any areas where you could walk on the ceiling? That's sort of my biggest secret wish for the game, but I doubt the UT engine likes that sort of thing. Ratchet and Clank's mag-boot areas were cool, but I don't think there was ever much gunplay on them.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Nah nothing like that, the gunplay is more aerial and the buttstomp is very powerful (had five ranks in the skill that powers it up for Willhelm though) but the most you get is a double jump and a kind of glide thing, though that may have been my equipped oz kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I just hope there aren't terrible raid bosses.

I don't ask for much

• Locked thread