Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I didn't mind any of the level designs until I hit Eleseer. That level's a loving mess (go all the way around, then all the way back! Figure it out yourself!) and it's full of those Opha dicks that continually respawn hard to hit shield regenerators. Not only are they no fun to fight, they loving never just quit spawning already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dyz posted:

You can just barely get to the top platform if you double jump from one of those weird pillars on the outer ring (angle the camera 45 degrees when you boost).

Personally i like this area, but probably becuase i use loot tables and theres more than half a dozen chests in a relatively small area.

I tried that, but I hit an invisible wall, spat out some obscenities, and just looked up where I was supposed to go.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dyz posted:

Did you get thrown away from the center really fast when it happened? The edges of the center platform kind of push you away if you hit them.

No, I cleared it by at least a few feet, but I just stopped when I got to where I should've been on the upper ring and just fell down like when you miss a jump.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Haruharuharuko posted:

Thank god. I don't really have anything else to say other than there's no way that he wasn't pushed out over his twitter loving insanity though.

What sort of insanity?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

So I straight up cannot beat TVHM Deadlift. The fight's bad enough the first time around, but he one-shots my shield and I spend a handful of seconds getting perfectly sniped by badass scavs as he wanders around. My best attempt got about 30% of his shield knocked down before he realized I was there, turned around and blew me away, and then danced around behind a wall, leaving me nothing to shoot at for FFYL. The best strategy I can come up with is cheating a homing Tesla grenade into my inventory and just spamming it out before his adds have a chance to spawn- I hear he has practically no health once the shield's down. I remember playing around with a character editor for BL2- is there a similar thing for TPS?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I liked Redbelly, but I'm a sucker for that sort of two-man villain act, like Mr. Wynt and Mr. Kid or Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar or Mr. Pin and Mr. Tulip.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Cheated myself a shield that was immune to electrocute and suddenly Deadlift can't even seem to hurt me. Thanks for that. :D

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I think I've hosed myself on my Nisha. I've been slightly underleveled since I hit TVHM , but I figured I'd just push on through it and the extra xp would catch me up. As I approach the Drakensberg, however, I find that it's just getting harder and harder because I'm level 30 and fighting level 34 enemies with skulls next to them. I went to do sidequests to catch up, but that only got me to 31 before I ran out of quests that aren't in that big white area outside Concordia that scales apparently with story mission rather than with player level, so it's full of super badasses that one-shot my shield and then my health. Other than finding a suitable map and grinding I have no idea how to catch up.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

AirRaid posted:

Go back to Normal and play the Holodome is you have it? You should get a goood chunk of XP from that.

I don't- is it worth the buy? From the marketing it looks like the Slaughterdome,.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Bugsy posted:

Go back to normal and kill Iwajira half a dozen times.

This was easy, quick, and fun and got me where I was going! Thanks!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Is it normal in TVHM for every enemy group to have at least two super badasses?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Solumin posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Though if it's like BL1 and 2, "Super Badass" is just the new name for Badass.

Yeah, I haven't seen anything just called "Badass", so I'd guess you're right there. I kind of hate it- it makes every fight a slog and occasionally I find one that can shoot through my shield and take 90+% of my health. I'm not really sure what I'm meant to do about that. Mostly I just try and freeze them, then switch over to the Skullmasher I found and shoot their faces until they unfreeze.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I've tried multiplayer, but I tend to dawdle and check all the chests and ammo boxes and so on and everybody I've grouped with seems to want to move through the levels as fast as possible, so I just go solo rather than annoy people. I should pick up the Doppelganger- I love love love Showdown and Nisha is super-fun to play, but giving the enemies something else to shoot at was great as Roland, Axton, and Gaige so that might be the way to go.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dyz posted:

Spec down the right tree first and get the kill skill that gives critical hits (tombstone) and unchained. Once you kill someone you instantly become a whirlwind of death with Showdown, especially with a mod that boosts tombstone and the capstone of that tree. After that start in the left tree, since it immediately boosts your survival and is also amazing for damage once you get 10 points in. A lot of people go down the middle tree, which is fun, but ultimately I think the left tree ends up doing about as much damage with the survivability to boot.

I went straight down the left tree for survivability and haven't respecced yet- thanks for the tip! I'll give that a shot.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Running around as a Ceraunic Storm Athena with a Hellfire and that laser Moxxi gives you just before you go back to Helios is pretty loving amazing- I'm up to the last big map before Zarpedon, the one with the loaders you can turn into gun loaders and with the side quest to kill the couriers, and the Hellfire's kind of old so its damage is dropping off compared to enemy HP, but it sets people on fire so easily and reliably that it hardly matters. This skill tree's a blast.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

So looking at release dates, it looks like Borderlands 2 came out September 18, 2012, Captain Scarlett on October 16, Torgue on November 20, Hammerlock on January 15, 2013, and Tina on June 25. Meanwhile the Pre-Sequel came out October 14th, 2014, and we're getting the first story DLC on March 24, 2015. I really hope the slow pace doesn't mean that this is all we're getting- the BL2 story DLC was a lot of fun, Hammerlock aside.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Jibo posted:

They've pretty much said the Claptrap DLC will be the only campaign DLC for this game.

But whatever, just bring on BL3 already. Pre-Sequel was fun enough but it was kind of a let down compared to BL2.

Particularly given how short and small TPS is compared to BL2, that's a real bummer- I like these characters and their abilities, and I'd like a bigger sandbox to play with them in. :smith:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Solumin posted:

Agreed, 100%. The characters and skill trees are easily the best part of this game, by a long shot. Getting another skill usually adds another fun aspect to your fights, without being a burden. Then again, I've mostly been playing Ceraunic Storm Athena, and each new ability builds on the Maelstrom counter. I've noticed Claptrap's right and middle trees feel less cohesive, but they're just as fun. I haven't played Nisha or Wilhelm enough to comment on them.

Personality-wise, Wilhelm is hilarious.

"AS A KID I WAS GOOD AT FIGHTS." :geno:

I've finished regular mode with Athena, Wilhelm, and Nisha, and I'm working on Jack right now. His middle tree looks pretty pointless solo, and his right tree looks like it'll be a lot of fun once I have ~15-20 points to put in it, but that left tree, which makes the doubles better, is working very nicely. Just have to remember to pop the doubles as often as possible since I'm used to saving the action skill for when it's needed.

Also, I haven't had time to play through more than the first quest, but so far I dig the Holodome. Gaige, Axton, and Tina bugging Athena for the shortest version of the story, one that cuts out the posts that aren't shooting or robots, is pretty funny, as is the reminder that Axton is pretty much the War Mage from Orcs Must Die.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

watho posted:

"Hey, stand in front of this!"

I remember liking him a lot when I started playing BL2, and realizing that it was the same actor doing the same voice, down to the inflection, was just marvelous.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Does Cryo also increase damage taken by freezing-immune bosses? Because otherwise it seems like a Cryo-based build would be really lovely against anything but regular mobs.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'd forgotten how irritating and frustrating the final approach to the Warrior, Hero's Pass, is. You're just getting swarmed by a bunch of Hyperion Hawks and loaders, and most of them can one-shot your shield, and at one point there's auto-targeting guns that you can't even shoot. Then at the end? A badass Constructor that continually shoots salvos of missiles and manufactures War Loaders. And then you kill that fucker, and surprise, a bunch of soldiers and loaders spawn in to replace it, taking the sense of victory- the feeling that the level built up to the climax that was the Badass Constructor- and dissolving it. Yeesh!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

By far my favorite grenade for constructors was a longbow corrosive cloud. It would make quick work of normal ones and combined with slag would bring the super badass ones to a much more reasonable level of health. A longbow (seeing a trend here?) bonus package could also one or two shot normal ones in TVHM if if got it just right underneath them.

But I can't really think of a comparable "awww dammit" enemy in TPS. And there definitely isn't anything like the witch doctors of the hammerlock expansion.

I just finished running through BL2 again on an Anarchy Mechromancer- just did the main story quests and all the DLC quests- and even doing that I couldn't bring myself to do the Hammerlock DLC again. Just miserable.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Scarlett and Tiny Tina are great, Torgue is also pretty good. Are the Headhunter DLCs any good? They look tiny.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Oh dang, I hadn't even realized that they're a buck on Steam right now. Not bad!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Being able to do a Tale of Two Wastelands thing with BL2 and TPS, while technically impossible, would be pretty boss.

But really I just want more stuff to point my Nisha at.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Huh, sorry to see that the Redbelly and No Such Thing as a Free Launch bugs aren't in there.

(Redbelly doesn't reliably separate at half damage and the shield around the gyroscope in NSTAAFL doesn't go down when you hit the switch. Both issues are fixed by leaving and reentering the map.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yeah, the Pre-Sequel puts all your SHIFT rewards in the SHIFT vending machine in town. It's also sticking out over the pit in the middle of Concordia, right in front of the elevator to the Merriff's office.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Do people have problems quickly emptying out Jakobs guns w/ a controller? I gave BL2 a console test run on the ps3 today, and multiple times the gun stopped firing mid "magazine" when quickly feathering the trigger. I consciously made sure to pull the trigger to the end the third time this happened to make sure it wasn't my fault, but it still choked. (To be clear, this did not occur ever time I fast fired).

This was with a dual shock 4 btw, so maybe that's related? I haven't had problems w/ the controller before, however.

Does this only happen with Jakobs guns? Are you just repeatedly hitting the trigger and after a certain point it stops responding?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Well it's easiest to tell with Jakobs guns because of their unlimited fire rate. The game acts as if it stops registering trigger pulls after a few mashes.

This was with R2. Changing FIRE back to R1 it starts working fine (and is obviously inherently easier to mash), but I'd prefer to use R2.

Do you have similar issues with rapidly pulling R2 for other uses? Does this occur in other games?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm starting afresh on the PS4, since my old PS3 died taking my BL2 savefile with it, I never played the Pre-Sequel and I can honestly say I'm finding it tougher than BL2, rear end in a top hat Bandits space butt stomping me is annoying and holy god are Bandits armed with lasers the worst thing ever.

PS4 PSN is JudgeTesla and I do have a mic, I'm currently using Captain America (Athena) on the Pre-Sequel and Gaige over on 2, for now.

Use your action skill whatever it's up and buttslam early and often! Also if you're in a place with both air and vacuum, remember that you can duck into vacuum to extinguish a fire.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

smashpro1 posted:

Alright, how do I get past this drat wall? I'm in the Claptrap DLC, Shadowtrap goes through this huge wall, and Claptrap's Consciousness says he has something to tell you about Shadowtrap. I've probably spent a total of 30 minutes trying to figure it out.

Try exiting and reentering the map. TPS has a real problem with quest scripts not triggering correctly.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ceraunic Storm Athena is great. You won't even care about survivability because EVERYTHING loving DIES.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Solumin posted:

The best thing is pulling out a shotgun, firing madly thanks to all the +fire rate bonuses, and not using any ammo.

The whole tree works really well against bosses, too, since longer combat means more stacks.

Do you use the Flash Freeze skill? The one that freezes your stack count when you deal ice damage? It sounds kind of useful for maintaining stacks between fights, but it's easy enough to build up more. You could get some use out of it, but it requires too much management.

I didn't, because yeah, that sounds like too much work to keep track of, and you build up stacks at a terrific rate anyway.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Viral Marketer is an always corrosive Conference Call, and it absolutely SHREDS the big stupid flying boss just after Vorago Solitude.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well you're in luck, because that's it for DLC. Finito, pal.

EDIT: Wait are you saying you were 5-10 levels below the boss? And the rest of the DLC enemies? You couldn't do that poo poo in BL2 either. It's probably a loving miracle you made even made it through the DLC to begin with if you were so woefully underleveled. :wtc:

poo poo, at that level even stuff a level or two ahead of you is daunting. 5-10? That's completely absurd.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I keep thinking I'm going to do something with Gaige other than Anarchy, but it's just too much fun.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

How are you killing Opha Superior with Sniper Aurelia? I keep getting my poo poo rocked because I can't take down the Opha as fast as it spawns them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ArchRanger posted:

400 stacks of anarchy, shields that regen completely every time you get a kill, and a 50% chance for your shots to ricochet. Gaige is by far the most fun character in the game once you get a few levels under you, firing one-shot Jacobs shotguns wildly as you wade through crowds of enemies..

And her audio barks get more and more 4th wall breaking as the stacks build up!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kerrrrrrr posted:

On Krieg I used a generic slag maliwan pistol for a long time, because it was fairly accurate and very quick to reload. Then from like level 40 and up I used a slag Tediore plasma caster, which also had the quick reload time (gently caress reloading) and the plasma balls had a really high slag chance + a small aoe. Good stuff.

Running around with a Slagga as Mania Krieg was great. Charge directly at a dude while firing Slagga to purple him up, then Unleash the Beast and pound on him. You can punch way above your weight class doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Even moreso than an electric weapon, the item you want for TVHM Deadlift is a shield that prevents electrocution.

• Locked thread