Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Oh, boy.

They promise more dialogue while playing in this one, which pretty much eliminates Claptrap as a viable class for me. I never understood the appeal of his "character". Then again, his skill trees look like utter poo poo to me. Especially the middle one, since I mostly play solo. Bad idea to make a third of one classes skills useless to a sizable portion of your playerbase.

As for all the kill skills and stack mechanics... I hated that poo poo in BL2 and I'm pretty disappointed that they are leaning on that as heavily as they are in this one. I've always been more surgical and reliant on reliable high-damage output when it comes to playing FPS's and having all these conditional and situational skills isn't conducive to my playstyle at all. I was really hoping we'd get a fully-fleshed out sniper tree somewhere and the enemy HP didn't scale too badly in the end game so as to render sniper damage obsolete. I know a lot of people didn't like how certain vault hunters were more adept at particular weapons in previous instalments, but that's what I liked, personally. Picking a class of weapon I was comfortable with and becoming as proficient as I could while min-maxing the appropriate skill tree. I know they were trying to get away from that but I feel like with all the on kill skills, a lot of the time players won't be feeling the benefits of their build nearly as much as in the first two games.

The rest of the game looks like what I want, though. Just the skill trees that seem really disappointing to me. Hopefully I can do something fun with a dual-wield Lawbringer, but unless they've made pistols as fun and impactful as they were in BL1 (Please let me wield two mashers at once) I'll probably lose interest. The pistols mostly sucked in BL2.

Sorry about all the negativity, but that's how I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Ummm, so what the gently caress is going on with the release?

I'm in Australia, and one steam page says the 14th, the other says the 17th, The Gearbox twitter says they are about to start the launch party, and there's posts in the steam forum about being able to play at midnight (somewhere). Also, the game is obviously done because the preload is up.

So when the gently caress is it available to play?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Unfortunately it IS probably the Friday.

I'm not so concerned with the Australian release date, but just the earliest time it unlocks since I'll just use a proxy to unlock it early if I'm awake at the time.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

:siren: :siren: :siren:MASHERS HAVE RETURNED:siren: :siren: :siren:

Lawbringer class validated.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Bonzer.

Amirite, Aussies?

loving NO-ONE in Australia says bonzer

And I just know they're gonna somehow shoehorn some kind of "Everything in Australia wants to kill you amirite lol" joke. All the Australia jokes have been old and tired for so, so long. I wish we didn't have to do this.

Other than that, the gameplay is really great so far. Those things that spawn more things when you kill them can cause some pretty fantastic encounters that go for quite a while and I'm really loving the Lawbringer special. As long as pistols scale well and don't suck, I can't wait to be doing it all the time with pistols akimbo. Even better if we can reduce the cooldown.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought the game was written BY Aussies.

It is, which is why it's so frustrating. Australians doing all they can to perpetuate stupid stereotypes and poo poo Paul Hogan did is a pet peeve of mine. I'm sure non-Australians will find some of it amusing, but I imagine a lot of Australians will be cringing pretty hard at a lot of the writing, if it continues the way it is at the start of the game.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

For a game that makes such a deliberate attempt at verticality, it sure does an absolutely piss-poor job of indicating what height your objectives are at. Combined with the pretty awful (so far) and backtrack-y map design, I'm having a very hard time enjoying myself while questing. I kinda just wish they would port the new characters into BL2.

Edit: Actually, their quest directions in general are hosed up. I keep finding myself in an area with no idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to be doing. Right now I'm supposed to be blowing up the safe with the shock shield. The game gave me three enemies to deplete the shield, and now nothing. So I have to throw grenades to do it, only I need more than one to do the job, and the first granade always propels me too far from the second to actually deplete the shield.

I wish this was the first mission that felt like it was completely untested, but sadly most of the game up until now feels like it was thrown together and never actually played by anyone. I really hope it gets better.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 15, 2014

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

The entirety of this game is poorly-designed, overtuned dogshit. A lot like the final playthrough of BL2 only worse.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Looks like a BL3 announcement might be imminent

But then again, who the gently caress knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Is it normal for this game to have a massive, raging hardon for throwing pistols at you every chance it gets? With the exception of about three chests, EVERY SINGLE CHEST and almost every weapon drop from an enemy has been pistols, pistols, pistols.

This is after hours of playing, so it's seeming less and less like I'm just unlucky.

• Locked thread