Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
For those of you looking to take advantage of regional price differences, you can buy it on Nuuvem for ~$35 USD (R$84,99). You get a full steam key for it when it is released, and it's not region locked.

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2282-borderlands-the-pre-sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Tried to do this, but it seems they do prevent you from purchasing if you're not in Brazil (or using a VPN that says you are I guess). Oh well.

Are you sure? I had no problems at all. Maybe you just need a non-US IP address, mine would have shown up as from Canada.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Yup. It says "This product is not available for purchase in your region." (in English even) when I attempt to add it to my cart. Guess that's probably it, since I'm in the US.

Check out http://www.vpngate.net/en/, they have some Brazil IP VPNs you could use. Slow as gently caress, but will get the job done.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

pun pundit posted:

Yes. I pointed out, though, that in the videos they also show Oz tanks (as in the equippable item) that generate atmosphere bubbles whenever you buttslam. Entering an atmosphere bubble fully recharges your Oz, so that kind of Oz tank lets you buttslam indefinitely - thus making it Super Mario FPS in Space edition.

Well, it's not like they've never made broken builds. Think Zer0 or Krieg with Love Thumper. If you want to make a buttslam build, they've made it an option, but not everyone can do it.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Pretty much this. Just the fact that it's more content with the possibility of being properly balanced is enough for me to be hyped. That's not even considering the all-new characters or mechanics.

While I resent the full price for what feels more like a DLC (same engine, lots of similar assets, etc), I do look forward for some more of Jack. He's what made Borderlands 2 a much more engaging story (first time around) than BL1. BL1 barely had a story (something to do with the Crimson Lance and a vault?), but right from the beginning of BL2, you know you hate Jack and are going to smash his face in. If they can pull that off again, should be fun.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

AirRaid posted:

BL1 had plenty of story, it was just really easy to miss because huge chunks of it were text and/or optional and so quite easy to miss. Bl2 has lots more voice work so it stands out more. Having a properly engaging antagonist did do wonders for it though, as you say.

There was story, and exposition, and such, but when I was nearing the end, I really had no real understanding of my motivations or what I was doing, just "go get vault, because". Without something to focus on, it was hard to keep the plot together and it soon fell completely apart in my head as to why I was shooting all these things. It was a lot easier to see the arc in BL2. I don't really want them to just do BL2 over again with Jack, but showing maybe how he got to the "I'm the HERO, and YOUR'RE THE GOD drat BANDIT" point would be interesting, if they can do it in a cohesive way. Some of the side quests in BL2 explain some things, but leave a lot of unanswered questions as well.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

Assuming Borderlands: PS takes place over the course of a few days like the others seem to, it very well could encapsulate Jack taking over Hyperion. His propoganda tapes in Opportunity suggest that before taking over the company, he became and "overnight trillionaire". I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes an overnight trillionaire as a result of whatever ends up going down on the moon.

He was plotting towards opening the vault before BL1, as evidenced by his directing Angel in what to tell the BL1 characters as they get off the bus. At the time, he was mis-appropriating company resources to get Angel the access she had (he gets yelled at by his boss). I imagine he somehow had secretly bought up some mining rights and made his money that way. Though he should have had all that before the H got put in place. I supposed we'll just have to wait and see.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

He had already have had his daughter shoved into a computer by this time, so it is clear that whatever he is at the beginning of this game, it is not a good person.

She wasn't shoved into a computer, she at most had some cybernetic implants, and her Siren abilities (phaseshifting) already probably had something to do with computers as well.

AirRaid posted:

this

is the same thing as this.

He was misappropriating the space station.

This very well might be the case. We'll just have to see exactly how he managed to appropriate ownership of the Eridium and thus, becoming an overnight trillionaire. He may well have done it purely by computer hacking, as with Claptrap.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

watho posted:

The main thing that was retconned, though I'm not sure if that's the proper word for this, is that Angel was working for Jack during the events of the first game and everything you did was just helping him get rich. I dunno, I really liked Angel in the first game but the second game changed a lot of a character that doesn't seem that much like a character. BL2 also retconned the fact that the bandits were a convict workforce, mutated from the radiation in the mines that got left behind on Pandora when Dahl packed up when the wildlife woke up from hibernation.

I just sperged about Borderlands lore... :suicide:

I don't see that as being reconned... they seriously hinted that Angel wasn't what she seemed at the end of BL1, the 4NG31 on the Hyperion satelite is ANGEL in leet speak. I don't see any reconning at all, simply us just finally finding out the truth. It sucks hard he played everyone so well, and that's why we hate him. It was actually a really good turn.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

Wait, what? When did they do this?

It's a few of the recorders you can find... didn't seem like retconning to me either, though I never found any explanation for the bandits or much of anything when playing BL1.

To elaborate, this refers to the psycho-bandit types, they are the leftover workforce abandoned during the first exodus from Pandora when it 'woke up'. What Jack considers bandits is something else entirely.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

watho posted:

In the Minecart Madness quest, I think, Tannis talks about how the bandits and psychos are scientists and familly men or something. It was a while ago I played it but I remember they contradicting the convict thing.

There were multiple colonization attempts, and subsequent flights.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Solumin posted:

Re: Jack becoming an "overnight trillionaire". Hyperion licensed E-Tech technology to the other gun manufacturers, except for I guess Torgue and Jakobs? I would imagine that sort of deal would be worth a lot of money.

highmodulus posted:

I thought the Echo's made it sound like he mostly did that with blackmail and murder. Plus drat vault hunters kept blowing up all his stuff. Seems like he sunk all his funds into the Warrior project, which in the minimum is going to cause Hyperion to miss its earnings forecasts.

Jack became a trillionaire BEFORE becoming CEO of Hyperion. He then used his money to BUY Hyperion (or, at least, enough stock to vote himself Chairman & CEO). He couldn't have gotten anywhere of authority initially in Hyperion without something along those lines. Once there, he proceeded to murder and blackmail anyone left to stand in his way, but somehow he had to get that first jump in power, which I am hoping the PS elaborates upon.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 25, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Nighthand posted:

I would enjoy a Borderlands 3 where there are several parallel campaigns you can work through seeking vaults on different planets. Different vault hunters are running different operations for different vaults, all with Brick at the head directing them (because he called dibs). Give you some openness as to which parts of which planets you explore at a given time, maybe tie it together with an ubervault you need keys from other vaults for, or something.

This could work out nicely... give you somewhat of a reason to have alts other than for variety. Would make it feel like your alts are working together towards a common goal.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Doodles posted:

Borderlands: The Beginning - Find out what Atlas discovered on Prometheus to bring them to prominence. Vault hunters: Steele, Knoxx, one of Athena's sisters, fourth one undetermined.

Tell me you wouldn't buy the gently caress out of that. :gizz:

Well, I did just buy the PS and Shadows of Mordor, so I could wait a bit. But yes, that sounds like it could be interesting, especially finding out what Steele was all about. I don't think we need another Athena, I think there is room for some non-Atlas Vault Hunters.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Be careful with this, I'm told using VPNs in this way violates Steams terms and could give them reason to perform some kind of lockout on your account. Same with unlocking region locked keys.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I haven't seen anyone else post this, but I redeemed my Nuuvem code without any issue. Didn't even need to use a VPN to Brazil to do it.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

phourniner posted:

So they really did release the codes for tomorrow then? Welp. Guess I should have waited. At least now I know Nuuvem is an amazing, amazing website for new games.

Not only that, but I was able to unlock the Nuuvem code via Hong Kong VPN.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Friction.123 posted:

VPN isn't working for me, don't really know why. Everything else sees the Hong Kong IP address but steam sees through my lies. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait 24 hours like a mature adult hum--

I'm not gonna make it.

Check out https://www.dnsleak.com your DNS servers might be giving you away.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

turnways posted:

Story doesn't seem as "tight" as the beginning of BL2, and even that game was pretty loose. From a story perspective, it's weird that the character telling the story isn't the one I'm playing, whereas they'd more cleverly danced around the "main character could be anybody" thing outside co-op in prior games. Guns feel alright but I'm beginning to remember what always kills my motivation to progress: I find a decent gun I have a lot of fun firing/killing things with, and within a few quests it starts to degrade and soon I have to find another gun and more often than not I don't like it as much but at least it'll destroy a thing.

Well, from the timeline they show in the intro... it really only CAN be Athena that tells the story, as we know Nisha, Jack, and Wilhelm are dead. And really, who wants to hear MORE of Claptrap?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Dross posted:

So I haven't read the whole thread yet but it looks like I'm going to be pretty much locked in to maining Nisha for the same reason I mained Salvador in 2; their active skills were the only ones that scaled with gear and thus maintained relevance into endgame.

I think Athena's active will scale well into endgame. It's invulnerability for a period of time, which is always good, and the damage the shield does is based on how much was blocked, so if endgame mobs are dishing out 1m+ dps, the shield (should) reflect that.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
The Deadlift fight was a bit troublesome, but I think it's supposed to hammer home the vertical movement part. I just thought of it as an extended tutorial in fighting while flying.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Crazy Larry posted:

That's kind of my problem with the fight - you go from open fields to a boss fight in a multi level arena with electrified floors and enemies and projectiles coming at you from all directions and jump pads that were just introduced and he has a giant rear end shield to top it off. They could have had you do some fighting in a multi level area with jump pads or whatever against regular enemies instead of shoving it all into a boss fight.

It really wasn't that hard though, I died once, ran back in, killed him. I'd rather they throw us into the fire on these things than drag them out. We should all be pretty familiar with the game mechanics by now, a lengthy tutorial is just boring. I hated that elemental damage tutorial quest in BL2 so much.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Mr E posted:

The game's pretty great so far, but why the hell are we censoring cussing. It's kinda funny when Torgue does it, not so much when everyone does it.

Torgue actually can't swear, he had some chip installed in his brain by his board of directors that does the censoring for him, as he was offending customers or somesuch.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Crazy Larry posted:

I'm not saying it needs a lengthy tutorial. Just make one of the open spaces leading up to him an interior area where enemies come at you from multiple levels. I don't feel like comparing it to elemental damage tutorial in two is really fair because it's not like low gravity is a returning gimmick.

I meant specifically that I prefer a more brutal introduction to new mechanics like this, it's more entertaining than some of the other tutorials they tried in BL1 & 2, and teaches you more. It is also much more forgiving for repeat plays, as where the elemental gun quest in BL2 got more and more annoying as you played, I expect the Deadlift boss fight will simply get easier and easier, as we are familiar with the mechanics.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Alteisen posted:

And now for the game question, those of you that are way up there with Nisha or Athena, what's it like? What did you spec into? I'm liking both classes but I'm having trouble picking which one I wanna max out.

I'm not quite up there, but it's easy to predict some things. Nisha is straight up DPS, with all ranges available. Athena is more complex, as she has an instant revive, team healing, tanking, and damage roles, at melee to medium range. There is a lot to be seen about what Athena can do. Nisha just spits out insane amounts of bullets for tons of damage.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

Oh no, I was planning on playing as Athena because I like melee and elemental damage but my favorite thing to do in BL2 was play Maya and poo poo out as many bullets as fast as possible. Now I'm completely torn.

Athena is probably what you want, her elemental tree benefits from rapid fire weapons and making GBS threads out bullets. Nisha isn't as much about elemental damage as she is about plain normal DPS and skirmishing. It's just that Nisha does not have the option of those support roles, she is all about shooting and nothing else. You COULD play as just a shooty shoot Athena if you wanted.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Crazy Larry posted:

What kind of guns are you using? She's pretty much tailor made for Jakobs guns and I haven't really found many other guns that work too well with Showdown (the ocasional Vladof assault rifle is okay). There's definitely some oddness to the targetting though. I've definitely had trouble with it locking onto enemies blocked by terrain and projectiles now and again.

Showdown really works well with anything that fires quickly, and can either be reloaded quickly or has a large enough magazine to not need reloading. Laser weapons work really well in this regard, as they are accurate, have large clips, and relatively low reload times. I absolutely destroyed Bosun with an electric laser shotgun in Showdown. Lasers everywhere.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Solartide posted:

Nisha's skill is great against enemies standing still out in the open, but otherwise manually aiming scores me more criticals per bullet since I can lead moving targets. Auto-snipers work well with Nisha, with the +0.5 seconds of skill time per kill ability you can clear a room well enough. Dahl guns work really well too, using a Dahl laser weapon and it increases the burst rate of the gun.

Her skill is also good for aerial combat, as you can get good accuracy while flying through the air setting up your buttslams, which goes very well with her left hand tree. Can easily get to max Order stacks in a few seconds by slamming a group of 3 twice. At max Order (30) stacks, her Thunder Crackdown attack does +750% melee damage as lightning.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

How bad are the loot drop rates and level scaling this time around? Borderlands 2 got nigh unplayable for me at higher levels due to these things being horribly unbalanced. Is it just as hosed here?

Supposedly, this is fixed in the PS. It is supposedly somewhere between BL1 scaling and BL2 scaling.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

I'll edit out this post if someone has already posted about it, but it seems that modders found something in the game files about a new dlc class.

Anyone got ideas on where she is from? I don't recognize her, which is strange as all the characters so far are connected well to either BL1 and BL2

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 16, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Oops double post

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

So, uh, ending spoilers:

Anyone else find Lillith deciding to murder an unarmed woman who worked for a guy she hates years ago, before he really became the crazy rear end in a top hat she hates really, really out of left field? I get that she's still supposed to be broken up over Roland's death, but isn't that a little extreme? It feels like trying really hard to make her more "edgy" and morally ambiguous, which almost never works in video games, and let's be honest, it's Borderlands, trying to do morally grey areas isn't going to be something they excel at.

Aarrrrgh WTF Gearbox? Athena was the ONLY person in the god damned universe that wasn't a lovely psychopath.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Bussamove posted:

Also I recently discovered that if an ally is in FFYL Clap Trap might pull out a medigun and basically turn into the TF2 Medic when you pop his action skill. :allears: He's a serious contender with Wilhelm in the pure joy to play department.

Or he turns the entire team into rubber ducks so no one can revive the downed person.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Eschatos posted:

I was expecting her to be the power source for the giant satellite laser. The reality was kinda disappointing.

Sirens aren't intrinsically full of power, they only get like that when hopped up on Eridium, which hasn't really been exploited yet. Though I am surprised Angel has not been more in the game.

Also, Jack being a (semi) nice dude at the beginning doesn't make sense as he was already quite ruthless when he forced Angel into her first 'golden throne', which would have been before BL1.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 20, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It could have something to do with the gravity settings, maybe, or perhaps the vehicle is heavier to compensate? Hard to say. Landings have always been bad, though, runners had a tendency to go seven kinds of wonky on any jump that doesn't land cleanly.

They definitely have the vehicles operating on a different gravity setting than when you are running, especially the moon buggy.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

AirRaid posted:

Have you considered that maybe the vehicles simply weigh more than a dude on foot?

I have. Considering that the exact same buggy in BL1 and BL2 was BETTER at jumping, ON PANDORA, something is wrong with the moon buggy.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

AirRaid posted:

Well it's not the same buggy. It's probably based on the Runner from BL2 but it doesn't have the same handling at all. It turns tighter and grips more, which people have complained about, and it does feel pretty heavy when jumping.

Question is, why does it even matter? I can't think of a single time you actually need to use the thing, apart from just getting around a bit faster. Every (all two!) jump you supposedly need it to make can be made on foot, until you unlock the Stingray which is hilariously better for getting around.

That's kind of the point I'm trying to make. The buggy looks the same, but magically behaves like it's made of lead. The reason I'm complaining, especially about it's jumping performance, is that it is literally (supposedly) made to make those jumps. The maps are designed specifically to say "here's a buggy, use it to jump over this chasm", and then you can't because the physics are messed up. Maybe Gearbox is just trolling us, who knows, but it's stupid that this buggy can't make the jumps that the other buggy could, on Pandora, under heavier gravity. If they just had it act like the thing in BL2, it would be fine.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

wdarkk posted:

I'm pretty sure Moxxi is right and Jack was always evil. Just ask all those scientists.

Considering how they tried to kill Jack, and Lilith branding him, I don't see how her rage at him killing Roland is so justified, as they struck first, with the given reason of 'well, we think you suck'. They all then go on to get their asses kicked by Jack & company, and are acting like poor refugees in BL2, when in fact they started this whole mess and very rightly deserve what they got. While Jack isn't excused of his being a jerk, it's hard to feel sorry for any of the BL1 cast anymore.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Draxion posted:

Counterpoint: Bloodwing

I knew someone would bring up Bloodwing... I admit, that part of BL2 still makes me sad, and I feel Mordecai's pain, but that wouldn't have happened if Lilith hadn't declared war to start with. She is the first cause in this chain, not Jack. Moredecai should be taking her out, not doing her dirty work.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Jack was a douchbag and unreasonably paranoid, but he still fought for what was right even as he was slipping. Lilith, Roland, and Moxie pushed him over the edge into full blown villainy. Even aside from Bloodwing, he was still a blackhearted individual who killed countless innocent people, and he may or may not have been honestly convinced he was still the good guy. While Lilith and co may have caused his descent, it's still not right to say any of "Handsome" Jack's actions were justified.

I'm not saying any of Handsome Jack's actions are right, I'm just saying the BL1 crew (especially Lilith, Roland, and Moxie) are just as bad. I don't feel bad that Roland got murdered, and I don't feel at all bad about Jack kidnapping and torturing Lilith. The only thing I feel bad about now are Brick and Mordecai being suckered into acting as hired help for Lilith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I can agree with that, but they were protecting people and doing the right thing in BL2, and I'm sure Brick and Mordicai would have been helping regardless.

In light of the PS, I'm not even sure of that. They all balked at Jacks plan to laser all the bandits, but then Roland forms the Crimson Lance and kills bandits with guns, and Lilith becomes an Eridium junkie and melts their face off. They really had exactly the same goals as Jack, but just plain didn't like him.

At least the BL2 crew are somewhat above reproach(so far). They just got tricked by Roland & Lilith's smooth talk about how they were good guys and "oh please help us against this bad bad person, it's not our fault he keeps attacking us, not at all"

And yeah, at least Brick and Mordecai are (more) honest about their actions and intentions. I really can't stand Lilith's sanctimonious crap, and I haven't even finished the game...

• Locked thread