Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dr.Smasher posted:

I just hope there aren't terrible raid bosses.

I don't ask for much

I feel like we'll be alright. I keep hearing that TPS is going to be using a linear progression model (versus Borderlands 2's insane exponential one) that should keep the insane sponginess down. Plus, between BL1 and BL2, I've never really felt like I was obligated to fight any "raid" boss if I didn't want to, so the track record there is promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

watho posted:

No, it's still using an exponential curve, it's just way toned down.

Cool, close enough then.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's shorter to just push through to the end of the map where you initially rescued Roland and use the teleporter there.

You can just jump off the side of the ship that faces the icy glacier area and skip most of the backtracking there.

It's probably not really a "solution", but in situations where I find myself having to travel a long/tedious distance to get back from a mission, I frequently just log out to the main menu and jump back in, because the game moves me to the nearest fast travel station.

New RPS article on The Pre-sequel.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Ulvirich posted:

Constantly switching up gear is fine for BL2 playthrough one, it just starts to go pear-shaped in the second and third difficulties because of the insane scaling. I have no problem with swapping out a weapon for a better one, I do have a problem with literally not being able to find a upgrade which is what happened a *lot* to me in BL2. So much that I felt compelled to run gibbed's editor to scale up my weapons and equipment.

Yeah, I'm lucky to get a good 2 or 3 levels out of a weapon in UVHM. That being said, I probably end up using that weapon more in those 2-3 levels than the typical weapon in 4-6 levels of Normal or TVHM. If I'm level 61 or 62 when I realize that this shotgun or rifle (that's still performing) is Level 57 or 58, I feel an immediate urge to memorialize the weapon in that character's vault. That's where all of the memorable workhorse items go.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

AirRaid posted:

I just got an email from Gearbox with some Shift codes for the pre sequel, so that will be a returning feature. It doesn't mention golden keys or anything at all about what they give though, so not sure if there will be a golden chest equivalent (probably)

Wait why did you get an email? What's so special about you?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I feel like I might be halluncinating but I could've sworn I preordered it onsale on steam for 50.

EU and AUS got some pretty sweet deals on preorders via coupon codes, but in NA I think we just got a 10% off deal if we preordered on Steam (and possibly had other Borderlands games in our library).

In other news, everybody can relax because I got my Shift codes in email so I am no longer left out.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

For people who are interested in picking up the Season Pass right now, I can confirm that Greenman Gaming's 20% voucher will apply to the purchase, even in NA:
OCTOBE-R20GMG-OFFERX

Knocks the purchase down to $24

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Kaincypher posted:

Now available for pre-loading on Steam

Ungh, you are so behind the curve, Kaincypher. God! :rolleyes:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Kaustik posted:

Green Man Gaming emailed me a "Special Voucher" for 25% off some new releases. I was able to redeem it for both the NA release and the Season Pass. If you have a GMG account already, check your spam/Promo folder in your email.

Nice, that's a pretty good deal. Otherwise, NA purchasers may want to look in the SA Mart for codes that came bundled with Nvidia GPU packages. I got my copy of TPS for $40 (and that's about the going rate) off of somebody who bought a new GPU but didn't want the game, which is a nice 33% discount I (unfortunately) couldn't find anywhere else. I don't believe it counts as a legitimate pre-order, so you won't get the incentive that full-fledged pre-orders get, but it sounds like another Creature Dome, which is basically junk you'll be able to buy for pennies in a Steam sale.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Akumos posted:

Uh, is there no PC thread for this? Anyone on PC want to group up? Add me on Steam, same id as forums.

Nope, this is currently the catch-all for the game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

fookolt posted:

Is it just me or do the iron sights for some of the guns really, really suck in this game? All the starter guns I've had so far have been really tough to aim. Some of them don't have front sights and it's like...why would you forget those?

This is what I'm talking about :

Here's what it looked like in BL2:

It's always been that way. There are crappy sights in both games--the particular example you have for TPS exists in BL2 as well.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Pierson posted:

So now people have their hands on the game what are they saying? Are the characters and new guns fun compared to the old ones? How are the set-pieces so far and poo poo, have they put real thought into the areas and stuff now we can jump higher or did they phone it in? I put 80 hours in B2 and enjoyed all of them I'm willing to knock down £30 if it's at least as fun as 2 was.

It's veeeeeery similar to BL2, which is fine by me because I knew that's basically what I was getting. I'm really enjoying it so far. Still haven't gotten used to O2 being colored blue, though: "Holy poo poo, look at all of the rare loot that popped out of that--oh that's right, O2."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mr E posted:

The game's pretty great so far, but why the hell are we censoring cussing. It's kinda funny when Torgue does it, not so much when everyone does it.

Just like the country it is based on, Elpis/"Space Australia's" internet rivals "Space China's" in terms of censorship. Since all of the NPCs are plugged into "Space Australia's" network, they are automatically censored. Only the bandits (pirates) can swear, because they circumvent the network...like "Space Koreans" or something.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

jeeves posted:

I kinda got too used to Zer0's skill of stealthing to just let me run past loving packs of mobs I already fought and didn't need to fight again when constantly going through the same drat zones I've been through before.

I guess I knew I was getting a bit spoiled off that one huh?

Ever since I finished playing as Gaige, I still catch myself cringing when I manually reload a gun. And also I scan the immediate area for explosives that may be triggered by reloading (from Shock and Aaaagh!)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I played a ton of BL2 and, during that time, I've probably funneled hundreds (especially because of how absurd the price-per-pull gets at higher levels) of millions of dollars into the slot machines at Moxxi's bar. However, not once did I ever get a triple-Vault symbol grand prize. I never got a triple-Bell cash grand prize either, come to think of it. Plenty of Marcus purples, Eridium jackpots, etc., though.

Then I go to Moxxi's bar in TPS and literally the first thing that happens when I play the slots for the first time ever on my first character is a triple-vault jackpot:

And a bunch of moonstone on the other machine at the same time. I am vindicated.

EDIT: Side note, how exactly do shift keys work in this game? There is a loot chest and a Shift machine. It looks like you can enter codes to earn keys, but then you have to actually redeem the keys to use them with a particular character? They don't just magically get added to a common pool that is shared between an account's characters? Does this mean that I should only redeem the keys if I am certain I want to use them with a particular character?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 14, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

You know, I was a little disappointed when I first discovered that relics were removed from the game...but the more I see of these Oz kits, the more I actually think the kits are a significant improvement over the relics and a decent replacement. Most ordinary relics gave a single bonus (or maybe two bonuses, excluding the stockpile ammo relics) but even really basic Oz kits do 2-4 different things that can really mix things up. My experience with relics was generally carrying 1-3 of them, including 1 that decreased cooldown and 1 that buffed whatever damage I preferred to do, and then just incrimentally swapping them out with superior versions as the game progressed. Oz kits actually make me think about what I want to do.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Ghostpilot posted:

Well, that's a bummer. I had 5 golden keys. Used 2 and then quit the game to run an errand. Came back and went to use another one and the other 3 are gone. None in the key vendor, either. :sigh:

See, that's what's making me wonder if I shouldn't just snatch every available key from the in-game shift machine. I feel like they have a time limit sitting in that machine, unclaimed. It was a lot easier when you'd just enter a shift code and every character would share from the same pool of keys.

EDIT: Anybody happen to find this bastard, yet?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 15, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Metrohunter posted:

Just saw the ending, is it me or does it seem like they're heavily foreshadowing an MMO? Shittons of planets with vaults, a war with an unknown faction and "You'll need as many vault hunters as you can get" sure seems like an ideal setup if they're going to take the series in that direction.

I loving hope not because I hate those kinds of games.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rookersh posted:

:suicide:

Do Wilhelm and Athena look more viable for NG+ stuff then Axton was? I was the keystone of my team in BL1 with Roland ( because he was absurdly broken and far more powerful then Lilith thanks to stacking reload/damage buffs ), but ended up having to call in goon help on the final boss for Axton, because his skills/tree barely worked together.

I'm thinking of grabbing this game, but want to make sure the class I'll choose won't be useless come endgame again.

Axton's totally viable for NG+ poo poo, what are you talking about? I ought to slap you. His turret is always crap when dealing with any sort of enemy that is immune except for a specific "weak point" (I.E. the final boss, like you're saying) because it's too stupid to figure that out, but that was hardly an issue throughout the game. And the final boss basically crumbles under an Axton with some investments in :torgue:, turret or no.

Jsor posted:

I'm having fun with Wilhelm, but so far his active feels a bit sad. It's like a gimped version of DT. Wolf can definitely do some damage and run interference. Saint, however... If you spec heavily in the right tree Saint may work better. But at the moment it doesn't help much.

E: Saint may have been better if it turned your health into Armor or something instead of a regen buff.

Wilhelm may be viable endgame, but it will probably be in spite of his active.

Which is weird for me to read, because I'm bouncing between Gaige and Wilhelm and Wilhelm's Wolf definitely seems to be killing more poo poo than DT ever did (until I gave DT "Robot Rampage").

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 15, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

You used it on a moonstone chest without realizing it. There's no confirmation prompt for moonstone-only loot chests.

I was just about to post this. I had no idea that the greenish blue chests took eridium moonstone...and a lot of it, from the looks of things. I think it just gobbled up maybe 25 moonstone, though I can't say for certain.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Hang on the ending, preludes to the fact that this is still a BL2 game and it basically going to have to be like destiny for the next one comes as a surprise to you? This is like a last game gen of course they are going to have to copy destiny always multiplayer.

PS: never played destiny.

What does this even mean

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

(Basically me with the ZX-1 laser gun)

Bugsy posted:

Wasn't BorderWorlds trademarked shortly after BL2 came out?

Late 2009, I think. So a couple of years before BL2.

EDIT: Whoops, apparently it filed was back in 2007.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 15, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

WHY USE LASERS WHEN YOU CAN HAVE EXPLOSIONS?!

Can you imagine?

I know I'd love to live in such a world.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Jsor posted:

I think my moonstone is being eaten by a tiny fairy in my pockets. I swear I had like 40 and then once I got to town it said I had 15.

CJacobs posted:

You used it on a moonstone chest without realizing it. There's no confirmation prompt for moonstone-only loot chests.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was just about to post this. I had no idea that the greenish blue chests took eridium moonstone...and a lot of it, from the looks of things. I think it just gobbled up maybe 25 moonstone, though I can't say for certain.

The other thing I just realized is that, by default, interfacing with the Grinder has "E" set to run the Grinder with a Moonstone buff...but "E" is generally what people will press because that's the default "accept" key. I was grinding a trio of level ~8-10 blue Oz Kits and it cost 18 Moonstone to run that option, which is a pretty sizeable sum.

If you don't want to run the Grinder with Moonstone, you have to press "Q" instead.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I feel like if they made some changes to vehicle physics, it'd be a lot more enjoyable. But as it is, driving in Borderlands games has always been this weirdly unsatisfying experience where hitting tiny things will cause you to stop on a dime and the vehicle weapons are almost always *womp wooooooomp*

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

It's been confirmed that Jack will basically play like one of those Capcom fighters that doesn't actually directly fight, just briefly summons all sorts of things.

Summons Butt Stallion to trample a target
Calls in Hyperion satellite orbital strike
Splits into a second Jack Double, a la cytokinesis, who then does all of the fighting
etc.

When Jack dies, he doesn't get resurrected at the Hyperion New U terminals, a paler version just crawls out of his corpse and continues the fight.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Matrix-7 posted:

4 hours into the game and I'm not really that far into it yet, I don't think. Every large loving structure I come across I spend about 5-10 minutes trying to see if I can make it up to the top and find a chest. At least I got Claptraps one liners to keep me entertained. They should have scrapped the other characters and just made more variations of him tbh.

The additional mobility (low gravity, farting for extra jump height, et cetera) really does go bonkers with my need to explore. There are so many new nooks and crannies where a strong box with a few dollars inside might be hiding! Or where the area's last vault symbol is!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Hey, so I can't remember if I actually heard an NPC saying this during a mission or if I was just imagining it, but is it true that fire DoT is less effective (or possibly impossible to inflict on targets) in a vacuum? I feel like there was a mission featuring a laser where an NPC told me to focus on setting people on fire in sealed areas, because fire doesn't function too well in airless space.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun, but deciding to make this into a full game was a terrible idea. I mean, the thing has a 75 on metacritic, and I'm seeing more ambivalent/negative chatter on message boards then positive. I really think they've Dragon Age 2'd themselves with this one, and the next title is going to have to fight really hard to avoid the pervasive assumption that it's going to be utter dogshit. Especially if their next move is the heavily-forshadowed and trademarked BorderWorlds.

Dragon Age 2'd themselves?

No. No, the transition from BL2 to TPS is nothing like Dragon Age Origins to Dragon Age 2. Not even close.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

2nd dumb question, is there a main mission quest to get the grinder working, or is it a side quest?

It's an optional mission given out by Jenny Springs towards the beginning of the game (I think it becomes available around the time you physically meet the Meriff).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Welp a streamer got Jack's Body Double working somehow. He and the other lady are already on the game disc on consoles which is not surprising since they already said they were coming pretty early on (but people are still whining about it like big babies anyway). Click here if you wanna be spoiled on his action skill.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I ALREADY SAID WOULD HAPPEN

JACKS CRAWLING OUT OF JACK'S CORPSE

NEVERENDIN LOOP OF JACK DOUBLES FOREVER

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Holy crap Poopdeck is a hard boss. Kinda wishing I could officially just jump straight into TVHM, though. Normal is really goddamned easy.

skaboomizzy posted:

Oh man, I just unlocked the Grinder. This poo poo is addictive.

I am perpetually broke because I hardly sell anything. I just obsessively feed things into the Grinder, churning out a greatly condensed arsenal--most of which ultimately gets sold to the vending machines.

Also, that Doppleganger character sounds pretty interesting. It's always nice to have a couple of choices for characters with "summon" skills (especially when soloing) so this dude sounds like a perfect addition.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

The entirety of this game is poorly-designed, overtuned dogshit. A lot like the final playthrough of BL2 only worse.

You've been poorly-designed, overturned dogshit since the day you slithered out of that spider you call a mom. :torgue: :torgue: :torgue:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Jusupov posted:

The output being averaged to the input item levels sucks, got this from a grind at 50

Wait, what does this mean? I'm not sure how TPS' loot system actually works, but are you saying that the items you're using influence the level of the items being dropped?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dalael posted:

Holy crap...

The more I read about the game, the less I want to play it. Gf and I started it yesterday and had about 3 hours total to play. so far, I thought the jokes were a bit dry and the game doesn't feel as good as BL2. Decided to try Wilheim cuz I like those kind of characters. Although Wolf and Saint is great, I miss the turrets with Axton. The sound of both turrets shooting and missiles firing, all the explosions it created... I miss that.

I'm definitely going to give it a chance, but from what I've read so far here, its not very promising.

You know, I think it's generally a fun Borderlands game, it's just that it's marred by a series of less-than-ideal qualities and decisions. For example, I may sound crazy, but I think the fact that every single environment is either a moody, atmosphere-less moonscape or the dim innards of ship/space station sort of creates this perpetually depressed, uncomfortable feeling. Add to that a bunch of characters who are generally unfunny/charmless and you've got a really off-putting game. It's like a bad dream or something. At least with BL1 and BL2 you had sunny deserts and bright locales that helped contrast the oppressive, airless voids, and the occasional NPC who injected some sort of positive energy into things. The Pre-Sequel is like...Courage, the Cowardly Dog: It's just dark and weird and it feels like everybody is a shell of a person. Scooter and his sister were a thousand times better than Janey Springs; Roland practically sucked your dick with words of encouragement in BL2, but he's like some kind of alien in TPS. I hate it.

Most of the gameplay mechanics are pretty much identical to BL2, however, with the addition of new options like laser guns, the Grinder, butt-slammin', player characters with actual personality, etc. So on a mechanical level, if you liked BL2, then TPS should be enjoyable enough.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 19, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

A little late on the "freezing enemies feels so good" train but it's seriously awesome (and never gets old) when you freeze an opponent mid-air and they just drift into something before shattering...like a peaceful comet.

However, the truly most satisfying thing is to take a running leap, launch into space, fart for a little more float time, and immediately upon landing chaos-slam-dunk some baddie into gibs with Wilhelm's robot-fist override.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

EDIT: NVM

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Alain Post posted:

The actual armory in the Knoxx DLC was an "oh my god all this loot" moment that BL hasn't really come close to matching ever since. Also you could glitch it and run it without the time limit, which was always cool.

Jesus, you're not kidding. I just opened a video where they show somebody clearing the final armory and holy poo poo, that's a lot of chests.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

You know, I think one of the things that really bothers me about TPS is its soundtrack. BL2 had a really good soundtrack, including the DLC. But everything in TPS is sort of boring and underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Has anybody been able to compare similar weapon cards from identical leveled weapons between BL2 and TPS? I'm curious what the differences are (if any) between, say, a level 50 green-rarity BL2 Maliwan sniper rifle (with certain parts) and a level 50 green-rarity TPS Maliwan sniper rifle (with those same parts) are. Does the BL2 variant have a higher damage output because of the scaling?

• Locked thread