Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I've been skimming the thread but haven't seen any advice on Claptrap builds. So far (I'm only level 12 or so), I've been going down the left-hand skill tree, so killing dudes heals me for 35% of my health, I have a chance to get bonus explosive damage on every shot, I have a built-in explosive nova shield thing, and next level I think I can grab the skill that makes me continuously emit novas while in FFYL.

I mainly chose the tree because of the goddamned pirate ship capstone, and because I'm playing solo so the middle tree seems like it would be at least half wasted. And the right tree has too man skills with totally random stuff tied to them.

Teach me how to be annoyingly optimistic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I actually tried respeccing into the Fragmented Fragtrap (right) tree and the subroutines are hilarious. Fighting a bunch of dudes in close quarters? Welp, I just rolled over to getting damage/fire rate/reload speed bonuses with rocket launchers BOOM :haw:

And then if you go 12 points into the tree you can have the melee subroutine going giving you +450% damage :dogstare:

It's actually working pretty well paired with Maniacal Laughter and the left-tree skill that heals you (and does minor shield damage) on enemy kill. You just have to abuse VAULTHUNTER.EXE (that full heal and continuous health regen is nice).

Claptrap may not be a powerhouse numerically but I am loving how loving randomly he plays.

Wondering who I'll try next. I hear that the Jack Double plays sort of like Gaige (well, the Deathtrap part, not the Anarchy half)? Or I've always liked sniper rifles, maybe I'll try the baroness lady.

Oh hey, I found a legendary just chilling out on a post somewhere, the Excalibastard? I couldn't loot it though, what's up with that?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kaethela posted:

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibastard

Need at least 2500 Badass Rank, and you can only get it once per character, ever. If you pick it up in normal mode, you are locked out of getting it again on that character on TVHM and beyond.

I've already caved to using Gibbed's editor to keep legendaries leveled, so I don't see this as a problem.

Also holy poo poo those stats.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I just got this gun and it is amazing:

I figure my Claptrap is in :roboluv:

Also I got this grenade out of a vending machine, if I am reading this right this thing will be nuts:

Question: If you have multiple of the same/similar effect from different sources, do they 'stack'? Example, Claptrap has an ability that makes him innately emit a nova when his shield goes down; if you have that ability and are using a nova shield do you emit both novas?

IIRC 'grenade damage' bonuses applied to all explosive damage in BL2; does that mean Claptraps one skill in the right tree that can give +45% grenade damage does the same thing? Does it apply to his various explosive-damage abilities in the left tree?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Solumin posted:

Boganella is legit the best gun in the game. loving love that thing. :allears:

She's just so angry!

"F**k off ya c**t!" or you go to reload and she's like "Oh yeah, fill me up!" :magical:

I don't want to ever stop using this gun.

e: My biggest annoyance so far is the fact that some chests cost moonstones to open and you get no warning except for the tooltip which you can easily miss if you're in a hurry/mashing. I needed those moonstones to buy inventory space, damnit!

The way the game will only spawn 4 or 5 dudes at a time is kind of noticable (I'm assuming an artifact of the game having to be able to run on consoles with limited memory?) but I'm bad enough at FPSes/aiming that I don't get bored or anything.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 26, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

UVHM in TPS is also less nuts than in BL2 from what I've gathered. Enemies get 2.5x HP instead of 4x and they don't naturally regenerate. And having to slag isn't even a thing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Slag would be great if it were an option.

I like Cryo way, way more than Slag.

Freezing a dude in mid-air and watching as he majesticly drifts into something and shatters will never get old. :allears:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

It was okay in the first play through of BL2, great in TVHM, and a royal pain in the rear end in UVHM. Mostly because it went from an option which you could use to absolutely wreck an enemy, to something that really helped to use on badass enemies and made their fights different, to an absolute requirement for every single fight.

Slag, switch to appropriate elemental weapon, shoot for 5 seconds, switch, re-slag, switch to appropriate elemental weapon, shoot for five seconds, etc got old really quickly. And that's not to mention the bosses that the effects didn't stick to.

This is a big reason why, when I got back into BL2, I started with Axton and Maya - they have inherent/ability-based ways to apply Slag so you don't have to faff about with weapon switcching for it.

In TPS's case, Cryo seems a lot better 'integrated' to the game as a whole.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

orcane posted:

By the time you're in UVHM you should be able to get phaselock's cooldown so low it's basically never preventing you from applying slag to the next group of bad guys after you had your last one up for the group you just killed. Although it was weird playing other classes with way longer cooldowns on their action skills, so I can see where you're coming from.

Yeah, Phaselock's cooldown is I think 13 seconds at base. And Maya can get 30-40% reduction from an ability in her left tree, even before you consider class mods. You can probably get it down to 6 or 8 seconds between uses.

And Maya actually has an entire second way to apply Slag, since the middle tree capstone is a melee override that throws a big Slag ball thing (I haven't used it but it's described as a big slow-moving projectile that slags anything it hits while also firing off slag beams at anything it passes near). That one has an 18-second cooldown IIRC and I don't think you'd want to devote a lot of your resources to trying to shorten it (if Maya even gets override cooldown class mods) though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

AirRaid posted:

I think my spec for maya had phaselock cooldown at 7 seconds. Never not be phaselocking.

I will say that playing Maya right after Axton was a big change. I was used to tossing a turret that lasted 25-30 seconds and then was down for around 40. So I'd take care in placing it, then use it as almost a decoy to flank dudes and such.

But with Maya and Phaselock it's a lot more 'active'. You need to be hitting that poo poo every time it comes up. It's not worse, just very different.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Slagging with abilities means you don't have to deal with keeping a slag weapon around and wasting one of your four slots.

I mean yeah if you don't have access to slag abilities (Salvador, Zer0, Kreig?) it's not a huge deal, but if you can free up all your weapons I don't see why you wouldn't want to. An 8-second Phaselock cooldown seems like it would be plenty fast enough to work as your primary Slag source. And Axton's turret applies it constantly on hit, there'd be some lulls when it's on cooldown but if it's up for 30+ seconds it's probably slagged a bunch of stuff for you to shoot anyway.

Gaige gets kind of hosed, because she can kind of ability-slag, but it's an ability in the tree nobody uses and I'm not sure it would actually work (shoot Deathtrap with an element to make him do that element damage - not sure if he would slag thing or just do 'slag damage')

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Chaining Phaselocks with Maya made her my favorite character in BL2. Capture a dude, kill him, phaselock grabs another dude, rinse and repeat. Having it pull everyone toward it just made the whole process more efficient.

Yeah, my Maya is still low-level but I just can't decide how I want to spend her points. I want poo poo from every tree, damnit.

Left tree makes phaselock suck dudes in, plus general phaselock buffs, quicker cooldown etc.
Right tree makes phaselock burn, corrode, electrocute, slag, and a bunch of other elemental poo poo (I hear the acid cloud ability is nuts)
Middle tree looks like it would be insane with all the percentage healing if you stacked health

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Thought that thread was archived.

I got back into BL2 recently and I think I've been single-handed keeping the other thread out of archives. :v:

quote:

In general, I don't like TPS's map design and for whatever reason think the enemies are less fun. Plus the writing.

I wouldn't say map design, but the limited area types (everything is either some variation of moon surface, or hallway interiors) got to me after a while. The lack of enemy variety and the way no more than 4-5 dudes ever spawn at once was another big downer.

Although the jet pack stuff let the maps be much more vertical, which didn't always work out. Or maybe it was just me, the sequence on Helios where you're jumping around the imcomplete portion with bottomless pits everywhere gave me serious vertigo.

quote:

Classes are more interesting, however, and jetpacks are pretty great (though I didn't actually miss them as much as I expected going back to BL2). Luneshines were a bit of a letdown (not enough variety, craziness and too rare, imo).

Going back to BL2 I really wished that Eridium dropped as often as Moonstones. And the Grinder. And I want a patch to swap Slag for Cryo. And I miss all the classes.

Oz Kits were a let-down compared to Relics IMO though, their bonuses just seemed too situational or less-useful in comparison to the ones Relics had.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

also there's the lil robot oz kit who beeps and boops and gives you ammo !!

I don't think I ever found that one. :aaa:

And yeah, the ones that gave accuracy/crit damage while airborne seemed like the most useful to me, especially since I'm a challenge whore so I was jumping constantly trying to get the 'kill dudes while airborne' one.

Honestly, if Gearbox made a Borderlands 3 that had the general aesthetic and huge amount of content a la BL2, with the mechanics/class improvements of TPS, and reigned in the scaling (both weapons/gear and enemy HP/damage) at high levels and rebalanced the drop rate to closer to TPS (blues/purples/legendaries actually drop, vendors scale to your level and have more than a 0.1% chance to have a legendary item-of-day, etc) I would be all over that.

Bonus points if one of the new classes was Rhys, Fiona, or Loaderbot. Or having Claptrap playable again.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Silhouette posted:

In 2, we got to play as a Psycho, so in 3, I want a Tunnel Rat with an ability that lets me burrow underground for a short distance, and his default movement should be running serpentine.

Action skill is to steal the gun that the target is using.

Hell, BL3 should just let you play as any of the previous vault hunters (well, except Roland. And I guess most/all of the TPS crew :negative:)

The character select screen should look like Street Fighter with a dozen different classes to choose from.

And they better keep TPS' most important upgrade (PC characters interacting with NPCs) damnit.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Playing Borderlands for the writing is like reading the articles in Playboy.

So I guess what you're saying is that Playboy has good articles now?

e: Another thing for BL3, instead of being divided up between 3 playthroughs, just have ONE playthrough where everything scales to your level (a la UVHM) that you can reset at will.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 17, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rinkles posted:

What class are you playing? (Athena's rad, though she really gets going in tvhm)

I only really tried Claptrap... because, well, it's Claptrap!

He's surprisingly loving tanky, and his subroutine abilities are a unique take on getting you to try different playstyles.

(Every few minutes he randomly chooses a subroutine based on which ones you have points into, you get massive bonuses for using the selecting weapon and a penalty for using anything else. So you might go from having +75% Sniper Rifle damage/+50% fire rare & reload speed (but -45% damage with anything else) and next subroutine is shields which makes them refill constantly even faster than but you have a damage penalty with everything, and then maybe you get the Melee subroutine next time and are doing +450% melee damage, etc etc etc)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Is it me or is Jack's skill tree pretty loving nuts?

One of the capstones makes any of your pets dying (whether from actual damage or because you moved and they despawned) count as an enemy kill, which procs all his kill skills which heal him, restore shields, make him do more damage, be more accurate, reload and move faster, and probably even more poo poo. And his pets can be specced to release novas both on spawn and on death. One of the skills lets you use his action skill in FFYL, and even if they don't manage to kill anything, if one dies it counts as an enemy so you get a second wind! :vince:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

get Jacks Cache too so you constantly get free grenades. I literally cannot get rid of all my grenades while using this ability plus the leadership capstone. I use quasars so even MORE singularities everywhere.

I think he also has abilities that give him magazine size buffs based on how few grenades he has, as well as one that has a chance to reload all your guns when you toss a grenade. :aaa:

quote:

Jack is kind of a slow burn but once you get that capstone all bets are off.

Jesus, I kind of want to try playing Timothy now.

Kaubocks posted:

don't forget to grab Best Foot Forward so your timer is always full

Wait. Wait wait wait.

If you have Best Foot Forward and Leadership, does moving so that your digijacks 'die' and respawn trigger the whole 'make action skill last longer'?!?

Jesus wept.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 19, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Timmy has some great lines, too.

"It's like choosing between pretty ladies! ... ugh, I hate this guy." :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Somehow I never noticed until recently that Oz Kits don't actually have level requirements. So are you always going to only have 100-150 or so points of 'air supply'? Do higher-quality kits hold more air?

Also the winter-themed spingun from one of Nina's quests isn't working for me, it's supposed to chime like an ice cream truck but it sounds like a generic gun. :(

I wish digi-jacks used your skin rather than the default, and what's up with the arm-blaster things they and Jack use? I've never seen anyone else in the franchise use anything like that, guns are good enough for everyone else...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Air supply is basically never an issue in the game because everything you shoot spouts air canisters.

The limited supply is more there to keep you from constantly butt slamming everything to death. But you can still totally do that in some cases with mobs of enemies as you get canisters faster than you can use the air to butt slam. It is stupidly fun too.

Yeah, it's more that I get annoyed at the constant 'AIR AT 50%!' notifications if I'm using a kit that only has a capacity of 104 or whatever. I know it's not a big deal, and even running out of air isn't a crisis except for that bit right at the beginning when you have 90 health and might actually asphyxiate in under an hour, but meh. Maybe I'll see if there's an option to turn them off.

Solumin posted:

What. WHAT. DOES IT REALLY?!

I'm gonna have to check this out, that's amazing.

Yeah it's pretty cool. Plus the other option is kind of underwhelming, the Too Scoops fires a pair of big slow ice balls (ice cream scoops :v:).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rinkles posted:

They do (at least for some)

e:the head customization

They definitely don't use the 'skin' though, they all have the yellow shirt, brown jacket 'default' Jack look.

I'm rocking the Show and Tale look from Tales from the Borderlands and I wish my DJs looked like me. :negative:

e: If they copied your look exactly (plus the digistructuring overlay thing) and spawned with random guns instead of wrist blasters things would be 50% more handsome

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

ah that explains why I thought they did because I've definitely seen them wear the troll face which is my go to mask

Jack has some cool head options (although WTF is up with 'Jacked Up', the big lower-face mouth-mask thing and red eyes?), it's just too bad that it feels wrong to not use the basic head since, you know, body double, looking the same, and all...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wait what changes in TVHM?

Also I found a Corporate Fatale this morning. Despite being a Hyperion SMG (which I usually hate), it actually 'feels' good - good fire rate and the accuracy/sight basically snaps to perfect.

It's too bad my only corrosion weapon right now is a generic SMG; I don't like not having my damage-type bases covered.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

AirRaid posted:

Tina shows up in the narration with Athena and is all "TELL IT AGAIN BUT MAKE IT MORE AWESOME."

:3:

Rinkles posted:

I know what you mean, but corrosive isn't very useful in this game.

Scav jet fighters (and the guys with big jetpacks but armor instead of a shield) are annoying enough that I try to keep something corrosive to hand. I'm still in a first playthrough though, so scaling hasn't taken off yet.

quote:

I wish the turret calibration section when building Felicity was repeatable. There aren't enough concentrated mob rushes in the game. It's fun, and actually good practice. Helped me get a better hang of Athena's Ceraunic Storm skill rotation. I died half an hour in because my Tediore spitter wouldn't reload in ffyl (I was too slow to notice my stacks of Maelstorm wouldn't allow me to expend ammo).

One thing that gets under my skin about TPS is how much one-time/missable content there is (at least compared to BL2). Apparently Felicity Rampant has a bunch of heads and other drops that can ONLY drop while you're on the mission, you can't go back and farm for them. And a bunch of legendaries drop from bosses that don't respawn. And stuff like that one Deadlift challenge you have to do on the mission or just miss out (until the next playthrough I guess).

poo poo like that just seems petty.

... And I have no loving idea how I'm going to manage the 'don't let Felicity kill anything during that corridor segment' challenge.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I know a bunch of previously unfarmable bosses became farmable a couple months back, but I don't know about Felicity specifically. I've gotten quasars out of her before, but never a head (and total I must have killed her close to 30-40 times now).

Oh, maybe my info is old then. Wouldn't surprise me since the only TPS discussion I can find besides here is the official Gearbox forums, which seem pretty dead.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Holy crap Jack gets one of Gaige's capstones at level 9.

Yuuup.

Honestly though I think the only reason I'll grab that ability is so that I can give my DJs a third nova (you can spec to have them do novas on spawn and on death) for maximum :raycharles:

Jack has so many kill skills or ones that go off based on the DJs dying/respawning that the optimum build seems to be focusing on having them dying constantly.

Near the bottom of the middle tree you get the ability to use his skill while in FFYL, below that DJ deaths count as enemy kills (and can give second wins), and about halfway down the left tree there's an ability that gives you scaling HP/shield recharge while your action skill is on cooldown.

Jack is loving nuts.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Interesting 'problem' I'm having with Jack: I can't get the weapon-type second wind challenges because my doubles kill poo poo too fast. :v:

Then this happened. I didn't think vendors could sell uniques:

Question, is Jack's Diversification skill (the one that gives the holojacks a shotgun wrist blast) worth a point? I've been trying to watch for them using it but I haven't noticed it/a difference.

Oh, one more: Grinder output is the average level of the inputs, right? So you could theoretically take all your low-level legendaries and (eventually) mash them up into max-level ones?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ayatollah Hermione posted:

No. if you grind three lvl 20 weapons you get a lvl 20. Two lvl 1's and a lvl 70 will get you a lvl 24. the grinder never produces weapons of a level higher than the highest level item you put into it.

... Yes, that's what I said. You use low-level legendaries in the "two legendaries plus (level 60-70) purple" recipe to get a mid-level legendary, than two mid-level legendaries plus high-level purple for a higher-level legendary, repeat.

Chasiubao posted:

Right now I'm playing Jack with Badass super clones, and it's pretty great. I only wish there was a legendary class mod with CDR.

It's only a 33% chance to get a Badass clone though, right? I might eventually get them if I have a floating point, but I feel like maximizing all the kill skills/digijack cycling abilities would be more effective.

I'm already seeing the snowballing start in the low 20s, as soon as something dies my buffs go insane. At this point I'm thinking after I finish working down to the middle capstone I'll work towards the 'constant regen when action skill is on cooldown' ability in the left tree, and just stack health/shields after that. Between kill skills that give percentage-based health regen and 25%+ shields per kill I'm not sure it would be possible to die other than falling into a bottomless pit.

Jack even gets around the typical kill skill problem because your own clones can provide that quarter-shield heal on-demand in the middle of big single boss fights...

Kaethela posted:

Deadly Bloom is actually just a normal purple with an ability. It's a quest reward in BL2 and they never bothered to make it so it couldn't drop or be sold.

Seems like a weird distinction, since 'normal purple with an ability' is basically just a unique, only purple instead of blue. But I guess that explains why that happened. :v:

I also found out this morning that the Gunerang seems to have been reworked in TPS. It still reloads like a boomerang, but it doesn't seem to explode if it hits you. Instead it floats in place for a few seconds while shooting randomly in all directions, THEN explodes (and the explosion doesn't seem to damage you)

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Saxophone posted:

So I picked this up for 5 bucks on steam yesterday (Since I owned the previous 2, I got a discount) and was just wondering: Does this game suffer from the same MMO-esque low % drops that BL2 did? I remember running a mod that made it a lot more fun, but up until then the game seemed like a slog and I was lucky to get anything cooler than a random blue every now and then.

My experience with the Pre-Sequel is that the base droprate is tuned way higher. You'll find a lot more blues/purples 'naturally' and legendaries actually drop more than once a playthrough.

Plus, the vending machines all scale to your level (and thus may have actual useful stuff in them, including possible legendaries as items-of-the-day).

And there's the Grinder for mashing up lovely guns into purple/legendary ones.

I have a Jack at level 19 or so who's already come across 5 or 6 legendaries.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 19, 2016

• Locked thread