Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

When the hell did this get greenlit again?! And agreeing about advertising, didn't see even one commercial or poster for it!

Let's hope they got some new writers who won't write themselves into another black hole; I always got the feeling, especially with the third season, that they were making it up as they went along and were being slotted less and less money as the season finale approached.

Hmm, another overarching corporate villain? How, uh, original..

Another city with a maze of underground tunnels Crane can use to get around? Also original..

Welp, now Crane has another resource to rely on, I'm still annoyed he didn't get to keep holographic Thomas Jefferson and the zombie Revolutionary soldiers..

The producers seem hell bent on making sure there are always two mixed couples in the show at all times, Abbie and Crane and one other.. last season it was Pandora and the Hidden One, this year it's the teen version of Mulder and Sculley.

Wow, the monster of the week got taken out even faster than I expected.. not good and still follows the trope of quickshotting the enemies like last season.

Looks like they ran out of legendary monsters to co-opt, although the copper enclosure used to trap the demon does dovetail with an old superstition about placing copper in the four corners of your house to ward off evil spirits..

Why the gently caress call it Sleepy Hollow when it takes place mostly in DC, though?!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BTW, it was mentioned at the NYC ComicCon Sleepy Hollow panel this past October that John Noble would return to guest star on the show, but it wasn't made clear if it would be as Crane's son Henry or a new character.

Also missing from the series premiere episode was any bitching by Ichabod about the personal quirks of his Revolutionary compatriots, only a weak joke that people other than Hamilton took part in the Revolution..

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Binary Badger posted:

The producers seem hell bent on making sure there are always two mixed couples in the show at all times, Abbie and Crane and one other.. last season it was Pandora and the Hidden One, this year it's the teen version of Mulder and Sculley.

Is this a problem? I mean, you're right that it feels like a conscious choice, but I'd way rather they do that than not. Somehow, the biggest challenge to my suspension of disbelief isn't the demons, but Crane only having cute antiquated hangups. Instead of racist ones.

This show is straight up garbage at this point, but I'm kind of ok with it. It wasn't "good" in the first season, just novel in how ludicrous it is. Now it's pretty much Buffy with higher production values.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ShakeZula posted:

You know what? It's silly and fairly trash, but I'm on board.

Yeah, me too. So the new witness is a ten year old girl?, I can go with that, but surely they need to amend the show's title to Sleepy Hollow: Washington, or Sleepy Hollow: The New Adventures of Ichabod Crane?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

ShakeZula posted:

You know what? It's silly and fairly trash, but I'm on board.

Yea going along with it for now. I just enjoy Ichabod's reactions to modern things.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Xealot posted:

Is this a problem? I mean, you're right that it feels like a conscious choice, but I'd way rather they do that than not. Somehow, the biggest challenge to my suspension of disbelief isn't the demons, but Crane only having cute antiquated hangups. Instead of racist ones.

Not to me, poo poo, I think it's a great and cool thing, I only point it out because it seems like most other, more traditional shows maybe only do it once then fall back to the status quo. It did bother a friend of mine who was bothered by it because she thought they were using it as a gimmick rather than a statement against racism.

quote:

This show is straight up garbage at this point, but I'm kind of ok with it. It wasn't "good" in the first season, just novel in how ludicrous it is. Now it's pretty much Buffy with higher production values.

Gotta agree with you on production values and the show being garbage now, but definitely disagree that it wasn't good.. they at least *tried* to do interesting things, but fell into formula, probably because of the network douchebags horrified that the Kindred was going to go off and make little Kindreds, or that one of the main characters of the show was a decapitated corpse.. in the first season there was lots more daring 'say what' stuff and less and less as it went along, especially in the second.

The show does need to bring back more Crane railing against modern conveniences.. I still remember the debtor's rant in the bank about chained pens, that forever makes the show a classic for me.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 8, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Hamilton stuff is kind of weird because Crane should have known him quite well seeing as Hamilton was Washington's most trusted personal secretary.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
Manic Pixie Geek Girl

Obsessed Genius on the spectrum

Indigo Child

The show was once reasonably original.... now, not so much.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought it was fun, I'll be watching the rest of the season.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Watching it now.

It feels like what they've done is literally take Ichabod Crane and put him in a different show. Like he's the same character but the universe is different. Sorta like that flash game where you play Super Mario Brothers with Link or the guys from Contra.

Also the wacky supporting cast of librarians sorta reminds me of, well, The Librarians. Though I'm confused as to why the two people who work for the Supernatural Bureau are skeptics or didn't believe in the supernatural until now. :confused:

Tonally it's a lot more different. Like Season 1 was a great show, this is just merely...good.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Wait, is the ending supposed to be signalling that Abbie's soul entered that child?

(I'm confused because I too also have dreamy sketches of Tim Mison as Ichabod Crane in a notebook.)

But yeah this is just decent. The new cast is alright I guess. Didn't expect Jeremy Davies. And I still miss Beharie so there's that. Hopefully Jenny is more part of the gang this time around, it might help keep things familiar.

Honestly though I don't know how Witness-child is gonna do anything. Show can prove me wrong if it wants though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, pretty much the witness is now that kid.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Xealot posted:

This show is straight up garbage at this point, but I'm kind of ok with it.

this basically covers it for me. like i've seen everything up to this point and no way is it getting another season, so may as well play out the thread. new abbie might be the worst actor on television, though

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I finally sat down and watched it since I never bothered to remove the show from my DVR. Mison still has charm and pulls the character off well, but it's not even the same show anymore. It wasn't BAD, but it wasn't great either. I just wish the show died and isn't shambling on like, uh, some kind of headless corpse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So the first witch dies and leaves a corpse but the one who is shot just vanishes into the fresh scent of pine?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Both of them did, although at least the last one had the excuse of being blasted apart by two different magics.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
Headless is coming for Trump. On the day of his inauguration. Coincidence?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Oh man, makes me wanna pay somebody to cosplay him and ride through the crowd on the 20th, swinging a battleax. Might be the sole good thing to come out of that lovely-rear end day.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Several weeks ago I was at my local supermarket and a lady in front of me at the checkout bought $400 worth of snacks- bottled water, chips, deli sandwiches, etc. After she left the clerk said she was a production assistant for Sleepy Hollow and the goodies were for the cast and crew. I met up with the assistant in the parking lot and helped her load the stuff into her van and asked where they were shooting. Part of the shoot was at a local church and part of it was at a very large house nearby. I told her I "love the show... well, at least the first 2 seasons" to which she said "yeah. we get that a lot."

That is my Sleepy Hollow story.

Edit: This took place in the NE Atlanta suburbs. Also the production assistant was really hot.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 15, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So uhhh the Horseman is now the T-1000?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Probably there because every time HH shows up, so do more ratings.

Funny thing is, I thought he was destroyed last season..

Well, looks like they're building the mythology but not a lot happened in this newest episode.

HH is moving up in the world? He has his own collection of heads?!

drat, Crane, I thought you had better taste than IKEA.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Past Crane's wig this season is really bad.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I didn't even realize this show was back. I thought it started next week, so I watched the new episodes On Demand and ehhhhhhh. Ehhhhhhh.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I suffer from intense Sunk Cost Fallacy on a number of shows, however. I'll watch what's left of this one.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Something came back from the dead with the horseman. SPRIAL FADE! Kicking it oldschool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They really shouldn't have done those flashbacks to the first two seasons because they just looked so much better.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I'm just happy that Clancy Brown showed up in one of those flashbacks, so they have to pay him!

And yah, it's a callback to when they were actually good. Somehow Snarky NPH Clone hasn't got as much as an established rep, nor is as convincingly as menacing as Moloch or the Hidden One, IMHO.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Somehow Snarky NPH Clone hasn't got as much as an established rep, nor is as convincingly as menacing as Moloch or the Hidden One, IMHO.

That's Dicky Bennett!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Medullah posted:

That's Dicky Bennett!

Jeremy Davies is great. He only gets side parts but he kills it.

"Is your social worker in that horse?"
"...yes."

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
no, seriously, new abby is the worst actor on television

though at least she didn't get the line "i knew we'd be seeing his lack of a face around here sooner or later"

like jfc cut the cord fox lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Xealot posted:

Jeremy Davies is great. He only gets side parts but he kills it.

"Is your social worker in that horse?"
"...yes."

He's going to be Jesus on American Gods!

(Casting spoiler) Actually he's going to be WHITE Jesus. They're getting multiple people to play Jesus on the show.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

no, seriously, new abby is the worst actor on television

though at least she didn't get the line "i knew we'd be seeing his lack of a face around here sooner or later"

like jfc cut the cord fox lol

Her best role is still a picture on a trophy

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

John Noble episode.

Also the lighting in the dream trial sequence is not flattering to Crane.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Very strange to have John Noble come back to play the monster of the week.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
New Abbie is so mean to Crane >:(. I'm kind of feeling like Jenny and Crane, constantly wishing Abbie wasn't gone.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is it at least better than season 3? I never bothered to watch the last few episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They seem to just be putting all their cards on the table with this bad guy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So far it's less contrived than Season 3, but not by much.

Latest episode: what would happen if Steve Jobs was black and Woz hated his guts enough to sell his soul?

Jake trying to get to first base with Jenny is starting to get a little overdone.

Still can't wrap my head around Diana being so dumb about mystical stuff

Dreyfuss still not very convincing as a threat, his old pal was a better villain. Bet Ansel will also be recurring, as he found a way out of Hell already.

Now we know why the next episode is entitled "Homecoming"

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I don't know why people are hating on season 3 (outside the ending, which was obviously rushed trash), season 2 was where the show died. 3 was actually a decent comeback for the most part I though. The show needed mixing up.

EDIT: Although I do think it was dumb to imprison headless and then drop all of the Moloch stuff. The witnesses weren't even really necessary for anything that happened. Pandora's boyfriend just hated them because ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I don't know why people are hating on season 3 (outside the ending, which was obviously rushed trash),

that's an extremely valid criticism though

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

season 2 was where the show died.

this is also true. i think the problem is that S1 was not some mindboggling achievement, it was just competent and had good actors. the show has failled to reach that baseline competency ever since.

sunk cost fallacy means i'll see S4 through but if they're going to keep being as terrible as this week's ep i can't see keeping up much longer.

• Locked thread