Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IMHO, the biggest reason for the hate for Season 3 is that they killed off some great ideas and replaced them with garbage.

Pretty sure either Henry or Katrina had to go, but why both? Katrina could have stuck around and helped her hubby defeat some villains while she continues to adjust to the 21st century, this worked well in S02E13, "Pittura Infamante," where they teamed up to defeat the murderer guy in the painting. But nope, killed her off at the end of the season. The replacement romantic interest, Betsy Ross, had a baaaad actress and all the romance was in flashback except for her exit.

Ichabod had access to a holographic Thomas Jefferson and his vast library of knowledge, but nope, gotta blow it up because the zombies set up to protect it were too much of a danger. Replaced with nothing.

The villains in S3, Pandora and The Hidden One felt like lame replacements for Henry/Moloch. They just show up and start killing people.

Headless Horseman neutered in first episode of S3.

No more flashbacks with Sheriff Corbin in S3, also a drat shame.

We never got a good reason for John Cho not recurring in S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I don't know why people are hating on season 3 (outside the ending, which was obviously rushed trash), season 2 was where the show died. 3 was actually a decent comeback for the most part I though. The show needed mixing up.

EDIT: Although I do think it was dumb to imprison headless and then drop all of the Moloch stuff. The witnesses weren't even really necessary for anything that happened. Pandora's boyfriend just hated them because ???
Season 3 was a mess early on too. The Bones crossover didn't really work. It was clear that the writing was veering all over the place. A bunch of actors got written out of the show. And then Nicole left.

That last part I kind of saw coming and decided not to watch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My problem with season 3 is that they just kind of jettisoned all the previous more Biblical mythology for this generic TV friendly god stuff. It was all "ancient Sumerian" despite the fact one of the characters was from a Greek myth and everything else was just kind of made up for the show. S3 also had the ridiculous trend of tying everything back to the Revolutionary War and Ichabod specifically even though nothing about Pandora or the Nameless One had anything to do with that time period or the war.

S2 was rough but at least it felt like a continuation of events from the first season. Three just felt like an unrelated show that happened to have the same characters.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So far the only social commentary between his time and ours in this season is poo poo you yell during a soccer game. Weak compared to the debtor's rant or the cattiness towards Paul Revere!

The grisly pep talk with the junior soccer team was cute though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is it just me or did absolutely nothing about the Washington/philosopher's stone thing make sense? Like what his plan was supposed to be or anything like that, it felt like they left one line out of the explanation.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
lol @ the flashback actors really obviously reading cue cards during their scene

also at the worst actress on television saying "nip this in the butt"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man they spared no expense in their werewolf costume this episode. Glad they didn't do any cheesy CGI and instead spent what must have been MINUTES renting the costume from Halloween USA.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I did appreciate Crane's soliloquy on the hoop and stick, it reminded me why I liked this show in the first place. Too bad the rest is just mediocre.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Caught up on the season, came to the thread and imagine my disappointment when no one here ever uttered the magic words...

SHIIIIIIVA KAAAAMINI SOMA KANDARKRAAAAAAAAAAM.

Shame, TV IV, shame!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Medullah posted:

Man they spared no expense in their werewolf costume this episode. Glad they didn't do any cheesy CGI and instead spent what must have been MINUTES renting the costume from Halloween USA.

Pretty sure their budget's been seriously slashed as they've been pretty low effort this entire season so far. Can't tell the difference between the place Crane had as a HQ in the first 3 seasons and whatever this place is in DC. Yeah, real convenient that the monster of the week was hiding out in his new apartment.

Too bad they killed off Bill Irwin's character and haven't had Sheriff Corbin in any flashbacks.

Diana's constant switching between cynical skeptic and loving mother not really flowing right for me, it's bordering on grating.

Mison's best acting is wasted on giving pep talks to the kids soccer team.

Really wish they'd just let the show die, it's just twisting in the wind at this point.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
404 - US FLAG STARS NOT FOUND

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Of course the original super team was Davey Crockett, Sacajawea, and Uncle loving Sam. That's peak Sleepy Hollow right there.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The rest of the season should just be Crane reading the tales of the OG Washington's Avengers in flashback.

With Uncle Sam leading every attack with a wild battle cry followed by him burying both his hatchets in some monster of the week.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah that was basically the best thing to happen this season.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
the cgi in this show was never great but it was never as bad as it's been this season. the fire head dude just fucken lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah the show is definitely in its end of days. Hopefully they just wrap things up, otherwise I'll just pretend season 3 was the end.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hope it's renewed for Season 5 where Crane sleeps another 200 years and it ends like Fringe.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's down to a .53 share and 1.76 million viewers as of the last episode, the highest was the 2017 premiere with .57 share and 2.18 million viewing.

For comparison, SH ended its third season with an average .83 share and 3.06 million viewers. It lost 37% of its viewers from last season.

IMHO it's not much better than a well-produced YouTube show ATM.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
This show may be one of the biggest examples of dying a slow death. It basically died early on in season 2 and has been shambling, much like headless, since.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

This season is like Marty McFly's family fading away into non-existence in that photograph.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hahaha yet it's an amazing experience watching it get cheaper and cheaper. This week's monster costume "Hey, Bob, run down to Joanne Fabrics and see what you can get for $50."

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I predict that eventually we will get an episode with no monster, the closest to a villain will be either an angry counselor telling Diana what a poo poo mom she is, or they will bring back the Horseman yet once again for no good reason.

"Due to budget cuts, instead of the revolutionary war costume, the Horseman will be wearing a wifebeater and no-name gym pants, and he will be wielding a flaming wiffle ball bat and butter knife."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Last week's episode came off as really creepy with Dreyfus' obsession with Molly.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

muscles like this! posted:

Last week's episode came off as really creepy with Dreyfus' obsession with Molly.

If they committed to Dreyfus being a literal aspiring pedophile, at least we'd have something visceral to root against. Jeremy Davies being an interesting actor is the only thing elevating him above the boringness of Pandora and Evil Doctore, and I'm not sure it's enough.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Lamest Cenobite ever. :(

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

At this point I feel Headless's condition is a stand-in for the fans; enough, enough, just end it already.

Crane shouldn't be so proud of Team Supreme until they notch a few more successes in my opinion.

Jenny has a chance to leave the team and be her own boss? Wondering why the hell she hasn't left already. It's like she works best when she just comes out of the blue to save their asses anyway.

What if they came across a monster that was helping people? Or something more morally ambiguous? I choose to believe the Kindred survived the Hidden One's assault and are amassing a zombie parts army without anyone's knowledge.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Finally. John Noble is back on the show next week.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They really didn't work very hard on hiding that Molly twist.

Also kind of odd that Ichabod left out the whole thing about how there already were other Horsemen.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

They really didn't work very hard on hiding that Molly twist.

Also kind of odd that Ichabod left out the whole thing about how there already were other Horsemen.

I'm looking forward to the final episodes of Evil Crane, only to be saved by the power of love in the final moments of the last episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do have to wonder if Future Molly is just going to hang around. Or will she just kind of fade out of existence?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Next week is the season finale.

Next week is also almost certainly the series finale, too. I can't envision a future where this gets a season 5. It's a miracle it got a season 4.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Somehow I get the feeling John Noble's return was supposed to have had a better build-up.. and why did they feel the need to telegraph it as "I'm the son Ichabod remembers.."

Episode was okay, but still suffering from the rest of the season being a hack job.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Gonz posted:

Next week is the season finale.

Next week is also almost certainly the series finale, too. I can't envision a future where this gets a season 5. It's a miracle it got a season 4.

wait wait wait

it's already over :psyduck: what a nothing season

Binary Badger posted:

Somehow I get the feeling John Noble's return was supposed to have had a better build-up.. and why did they feel the need to telegraph it as "I'm the son Ichabod remembers.."

yeah that was absolutely out of nowhere, much like everything this season. like why do a soft reboot if you're going to continue a thread from a prior season that was uh already firmly resolved

Binary Badger posted:

Episode was okay, but still suffering from the rest of the season being a hack job.

They definitely don't deserve another season, regardless of numbers. mison and abby's sister will find work, i'm sure. the rest of them... not so much. and that's okay. i can't believe the female lead's sister is as bad of an actor.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I hope the show returns, just to see everyone be proven wrong.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of goofy how every season Ichabod has another random friend that he just happens to now be mentioning and all of a sudden their adventures together are relevant.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Kind of goofy how every season Ichabod has another random friend that he just happens to now be mentioning and all of a sudden their adventures together are relevant.

Now that time travel is in the mix again, they'll reveal the true big bad: a really passive-aggressive time traveling John Adams, who keeps changing Ichabod's past behind the scenes, so there are all these new anecdotes that didn't happen the first time.

He pops into the 21st century every so often to research what to change next, but he wears a really big hat so nobody notices.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Please, Fox, don't bring back this turd of a show back next year.

Shittiest finale I've seen in a while. Even John Noble seemed to be phoning it in this episode.

It feels to me like how Sliders got ruined except this time they kept Jerry McConnell and changed everybody else.

Aaaaand just like last season, the big baddie was defeated within 2 minutes. Sigh.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.
And yet somehow... in that last scene, it became the show I wanted to watch. If they bring it back for another season, and that season is just like that last scene, I'm in.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Wolvorine posted:

And yet somehow... in that last scene, it became the show I wanted to watch. If they bring it back for another season, and that season is just like that last scene, I'm in.

So that's where they spent all their CGI money this season. I mean, it was still a terrible shot, but it explains terrible fire Djinn and wolfman with dollar store Halloween mask.

This show came full circle and went from -

Preview - Hahahaah what a terrible show I bet it doesn't get 3 episodes before it's cancelled.
First season - Oh snap, Clancy Brown! And this dude playing Ichabod is actually pretty funny. JOHN NOBLE??? It's actually enjoyable!
Second season - Still pretty good! Surprising!
Third season - Ughhh that was terrible. Well, at least it's over.
Fourth season - Wait what? How did it get renewed? Did someone lose a dare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn't have the heart to watch the last few episodes of last season, or any of this season.

• Locked thread